Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 20 goalscorers

Following on from the successful top 10 appearances thread here's the result of some more exhaustive research*

* Photo from 2016/7 handbook.

Comments

• Johnnie Jackson on 51. May make the list next season.....
  • How high would Mendonca and Hunt be on that list had their careers not been cut short?
  • A slightly curious list, with a lot of players from the 70s, while there's nobody from the late 90s, despite us having some good strikers in that period, as none of them hung around long enough, sometimes due to injury/illness (Mendonca, Hunt)
  • Leaburn the most recent player in the list. What does that tell us?
    That Carlo was much better than many give him credit for?
    That players' lifespans at clubs are much shorter nowadays?
    That all our strikers this century have been crap?
    All of the above?

Mainly due to 2 and 3 - players often only stay for the length of their original contract (2-3 years) and then move on to another club for free & so get a signing on fee. Also that we have signed some pretty crap strikers over the past 10 seasons, and before that (when in the Prem) it was harder for us to score that many goals due to better opposing defences full of International players. Since Killer retired I can really only name 4 players that if they had stayed for a length of time would have got past 100 goals - Mendonca, Hunt, Bent (D) and BWP.
  • Leaburn the most recent player in the list. What does that tell us?
    That Carlo was much better than many give him credit for?
    That players' lifespans at clubs are much shorter nowadays?
    That all our strikers this century have been crap?
    All of the above?

Our strikers never seemed to hang around, whereas our more defensive players did.

The Curbishley teams were also more defensively minded than the attack at all cost teams of the 70s!
  • I will be the first.......I saw nine of them.
  • I saw...6
  • I saw 6
  • Can't be many teams where 4 of your top 20 all played in the same team/match (Killer, Flash, Keith, Arthur). You'd need either two high-scoring/long-serving midfielders or, in our case, a forward playing out of position.
  • Sponsored links:

• leaburn!
  • Six for me
  • edited May 2017
    I saw 10 of them and Leary play cricket for Kent but not football for Charlton quite.

EDIT: I didn't realise Martin Robinson scored as many as he did for us. He was a decent winger and tends to be overlooked when discussing past players.
  • I would happily have Bradley Wright Phillips back to lead the line in League One again. Can easily bang in 20+ goals at this level

• 6 for me.
  • Six for me as well - a lot less than the other list. Not surprising though.
  • edited May 2017
    I think Leaburn's average must be 5/6 a season still. Only one on that list I've seen in the flesh - love big Carl, had a model skeleton named after him as a kid.
  • Leaburn and Lee.
  • 7 for me
  • Sponsored links:

• 8 for me.
  • 12 for me. I saw the last few month's of Leary and Lawrie at the Valley.
  • Can I challenge you stattos to find out Charlton's best players list for goals per game?
  • Goals/ game.
    The best- well that amateur CF came from Scandinavia in the late 50's. Played less than 15 games i believe, sorry forgot his name - was it Johanson ?
  • 7 for me
  • Dazzler21 said:

Can I challenge you stattos to find out Charlton's best players list for goals per game?

Despite the "statto" insult I will try.

Dean Chandler 100% as scored in every game he played.

Later played for an England disability side.

But for players who played more than one or a handful of games.

George Tadman scored 50 (47 league plus 3 FA Cup) goals in 93 games (87 league, all top flight and 6 FA Cup) in the three seasons before WW2 when we were very good but that is beaten by Fred Whitlow who got 65 Goals (61+4) in 100 games (95 + 5) in the 2nd and 3rd divisions from 1927 to 1931.

However I think the winner is, until @shirty5 corrects me, is Ralph Allen

54 games and 48 goals (2 and 1 in the FA Cup) in our two consecutive promotion seasons in 35 and 36

In 1934/5 he scored 32 league goals in only 28 league games. This is still a club record for most goals in a season.

Seed sold him to Northampton but did replaced him with Tadman.
    Dazzler21 said:

Can I challenge you stattos to find out Charlton's best players list for goals per game?

• Wait why is Statto an insult? You're into your Charlton Stats... maybe not so much to be pre-occupied by them but still.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Wait why is Statto an insult? You're into your Charlton Stats... maybe not so much to be pre-occupied by them but still.

It's history not stats.
  • Super Clive had a 1 in 2 ratio for us, nearly 50 goals in less than 100 games. Nobody else in recent years has come near that
  • 7 for me.

Hales, Flanagan, Peacock, Robinson, Leaburn, Lee, Horsfield