Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

@Waldo RIP

Dear all

You will recall a recent post by me regards parking at the Valley for my Dad

On CL his user name was 'Waldo'

Sadly Dad passed away yesterday - his illness was short - we had expected him to get through to spring next year - it wasn't to be

He had all his family with him at the end and it was peaceful and pain free

A supporter since the early 1950's, he also served in the Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers from1957 until 1992 as a regular and in the TA, reaching the rank of Captain

I am very proud of my Dad - he was a good man and had a good life - could be an argumentative sod at times, but aren't we all !!!

He got to see one last match last Saturday and I sat with him, which made us both very happy - we used the car park pass so kindly given to us for free by the club

What is more, he saw a win and - dare I say it - a side which looks like it will do well this season

Perhaps he has now got to meet his favourite player, Ronnie White - I hope so

Thank you all for your best wishes previously

Simon

Comments

• Sad times, LF, I very much understand what you're going through. Going to The Valley after losing him will be tough, but as someone said to me, a three-legged dog is still a dog, it just learns to walk a little differently. As will you.
  • Sorry to hear that, RIP.
  • Very sad. RIP to your dad.
  • edited August 2017
    Very sorry for your loss Simon. Sounds like the lads gave him a really good send off Saturday though. Rest in peace Waldo!
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks for sharing your dad's story with us.

Condolences to you and the rest of the family.

Glad you got that one last game together.
  • Sorry for your loss RIP @waldo
  • Best wishes Simon, and so sorry for your loss.

A lovely story of his final game.

RIP Waldo
  • So sorry for your loss Simon.

RIP Waldo
  • Sorry for your loss Simon.

RIP Waldo
  • Thanks for sharing Simon
    So pleased we won his last game with you.
    RIP Waldo
  • Sponsored links:

• That's very sad Simon, sorry for your loss
  • RIP Waldo, sorry for your loss Simon.
  • edited August 2017
    Well that's sad news. Very sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you got the parking sorted and that the team won for him.

A very quick illness which is hard to deal with but maybe it's for the best that you didn't see him didn't suffer too much. Though I'm sure you don't think that now.

RIP Waldo.
  • RIP @waldo and my condolences to you and the rest of your family Simon.

At least you were able to share a hard fought win as your final match together.
  • So pleased you saw the game together. RIP
  • edited August 2017
    Sorry for your loss Simon. So pleased your Dad got to see the game with you last Saturday though, a good memory for you. R.I.P. Waldo.
  • I'm really sorry for your loss mate

Rest in peace to you dad
  • Curb_It said:

Well that's sad news.

I'm glad you got the parking sorted and that the team won for him.

A very quick illness which is hard to deal with but maybe it's for the best that you didn't see him didn't suffer too much. Though I'm sure you don't think that now.

RIP Waldo.

So true, it won't feel like it right now but much better than seeing him suffer with no chance of getting better.

I'll always be grateful that I was able to get my old man to Brands Hatch one last time before he passed away. He used to go there as a kid and always loved it there and took me when I was young.

Am I right in thinking you follow the darts? If so, happy to meet for a pint when you play the wings.
  • David was a keen & supportive member of NWKA for many years & will be sorely missed by family & friends.

He & his wife were also regular travellers to Tenerife & we used to joke that one day we'd be bound to bump into each other there.

Sleep tight, David.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry for your loss.
  • Condolences. RIP Waldo
  • RIP and Ronnie White was a lovely player sorry for your loss.
  • RIP Waldo.

Very touching you got to see 1 last game together and it was a win, in the years to come that will be a fond memory to go along with the many you already have.
  • Thanks for sharing that, touching. RIP Waldo
  • So sorry for you and your families loss @Lordflashheart. You father sounds a good man and his contributions will be missed on here.

RIP Waldo
  • Sad news - I am very sorry for your loss.

RIP @waldo

So glad that you managed that last game together.
  • Sorry for your loss. RIP Waldo.
  • RIP Waldo - Sorry for your loss LordFlashHeart.

Great to hear he saw a win on Saturday! Thoughts are with you and your family.
  • Sorry for your loss, Simon. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Life can be so very cruel at times, but I hope that you all can rely on one another to support however is needed.

The season we won League One, I lost my Nan and my Grandad in the space of 3 weeks, they both supported Charlton, and strangely it was the football and our success that season that got me through most things. I hope that could be the same for you this season. Knowing that your father saw a Charlton side which showed real character and fight to get the win, for many that is what we are all about.

No matter how many people knock this forum, we have a real community of good people on here. All the best with anything that you need to do.

RIP Waldo.