Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan C's current predicament

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
I don't know why but I am getting some enjoyment from west hams displeasure with curbs, I can't work out why , i was stunned and sad when he left us , but I am quite happy to see it all going belly up for him and big merv ......does anyone else feel the same , I assume its because we don't want to see west ham do well and its not personal against Mr C .

Do west ham really hate him just because they think of him as Charlton ?

need to see someone about this !!!

Comments

• The West Hammies seem to be using Curbs as a scapegoat for the situation the club are in. The club signed players for him (presumably though on his recommendation) for stupid sums of money - that seems to have unsettled the squad but it he wasn't involved in the negotiations and now the board have steadily started selling players from underneath him and again that appears to be unsettling the club and the consequence is that Curbs is to blame, presumably it's his fault that their fans have unrealistically high expectations.
  • Not really bothered by it either way. However his comment last night kind of annoyed me when he said he'd been in this situation before. I'd like to know when he was under so much pressure before in his managerial career because it certainly wasn't with us? Other than that couldn't give a damn.
  • Feel alittle sorry for him ;
    "Ferdinand is not leaving" (friday)-
    "ferdinand leaves the hammers" (monday).
    Don't think he has the control over there that he had with us.
  • My Hamster Scamster mate says the crowd taunt Curbs by chanting, "It's just like watching Charlton!".

There you have it, Mr Alan Cautiously has brought his special brand of dull, safety first 'close the game out' style of playing, that he perfected at Charlton in his last season or so here - and the Hamsters want their open flowing 'Blowin' Bubbles' type of football back.

Or at least that's the way they perceive it. Remember, West Ham won the World Cup back in '66.

;o)
  • I think a lot of it is to do with Wham fans delusion of grandeur.

However, having watched a bit of their away game at Man City, it all looked very familiar....
  • it's never easy with 10 men. still they are level on points with arsenal and i don't see calls for wenger to go.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think a lot of it is to do with Wham fans delusion of grandeur.

However, having watched a bit of their away game at Man City, it all looked very familiar....

I have posted on another thread about this. I have the same thoughts about the "West Ham" way and "We won the world cup" which seems to have collectively infected most of their supporters.

On a personal note, I feel sad for him. Imagine how you would all feel if after years of struggle elsewhere, the club you supported as a boy offered you the job of your dreams when they were in dire straights at the bottom of the league?

You answer the call, you are offered large resources to move the club to a different level. You get stuck in, work a 15 hour day, turn it around, you block yours and the players ears to the noises off regarding transfer irregularities and produce a series of astonishing results including beating the Champions at their place to secure safety.

The following season with a horrendous list of injured players, you steer the ship away from the rocks to the calm waters of tenth in the Division and what happens? The fans turn against you, the board who turn out to have invested heavily with money they can ill afford, blame you for the product of their own proflagacy and then sell players behind your back. No wonder he cuts a somewhat forlorn figure.

I hope he tells them to stick their job where the sun don't shine
  • Same AFKA. Watching West Ham is exactly like watching us play a few years ago. No wonder their fans are getting pssed off.
  • I'm with you on this Bing- him telling themwhere to go would be great, although due to the amount of money involved it aint going to happen..
  • But (apart from winning the worldcup) are west ham abigger club than us ?
    We've outgrown the spanners and the weasels , so i think they are our "rivals", what with the players whom have played for both clubs, the management and the geography.
  • Sponsored links:

• BFR - I think you make good points, but in the light of them, how do you view what happened with Dowie. A lot of our fans like to blame him for absolutely everything that went wrong, including players that he didn't have anything to do with. I guess, as fans, we feel we have the right to overlook obvious truths in order to vent our personal prejudices.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]But (apart from winning the worldcup) are west ham abigger club than us ?
    We've outgrown the spanners and the weasels , so i think they are our "rivals", what with the players whom have played for both clubs, the management and the geography.

They are in the Premier League, have a bigger ground etc, so I'd say they were bigger than us, their current predicament stems from their new buyers panicing a bit when relegation looked odds on and they signed too many average players, plus there has been a steady exodus of quality over the years.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]BFR - I think you make good points, but in the light of them, how do you view what happened with Dowie. A lot of our fans like to blame him for absolutely everything that went wrong, including players that he didn't have anything to do with. I guess, as fans, we feel we have the right to overlook obvious truths in order to vent our personal prejudices.

The problem we had under Dowie was that we had little money - I know £11 or £12m sounds a lot, but to buy a good quality Prem player on prem wages and most of that £11-12m has gone on maybe one player and we needed to bring in three/four good players. Consequently we took chances - JFH, Traore, Faye, Reid, etc players who were cheap, had Prem experience and might have raised their game. the alternative is to sign players from a league or two below and hope that they can raise their game. with Bent that worked, but it's a risk.

Reid proved to be a good signing, as did Scott Carson, but Faye and Traore didn't and players outside the Premiership ie overseas also come with question marks - again not all can make the jump. The one player I wanted that Charlton bid for at that time was Steve Sidwell - Reading were willing to sell, but the player turned us down in favour of seeking a club with deeper pockets, such is life...

Was Dowie an unfair scapegoat - partly, but we had several players out injured in his short stint with us which didn't help and taking over after Curbs was never going to be easy, and I think he didn't settle into the structure - having Andy Mills and his coaching team appointed by the club, perhaps he was at fault for surrendering too much autonomy when he took the job. Remember that things got markedly worse after he left - with Les Reed's short stay resulting in just one victory and too many aimless performances that undermined morale even further.
  • edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think a lot of it is to do with Wham fans delusion of grandeur.

I have posted on another thread about this. I have the same thoughts about the "West Ham" way and "We won the world cup" which seems to have collectively infected most of their supporters.

On a personal note, I feel sad for him. Imagine how you would all feel if after years of struggle elsewhere, the club you supported as a boy offered you the job of your dreams when they were in dire straights at the bottom of the league?

You answer the call, you are offered large resources to move the club to a different level. You get stuck in, work a 15 hour day, turn it around, you block yours and the players ears to the noises off regarding transfer irregularities and produce a series of astonishing results including beating the Champions at their place to secure safety.

The following season with a horrendous list of injured players, you steer the ship away from the rocks to the calm waters of tenth in the Division and what happens? The fans turn against you, the board who turn out to have invested heavily with money they can ill afford.
    Got to agree with you Bing.

What Curbs brings is not exciting, open, flowing football but the ability to engineer teams that will retain their PL status and occasionally knock on the door of Europe.

If you're a team such as Charlton, Fulham, Boro, Hull, Wigan etc then most Chairman and fans would initially snap your arm off to have him. If you're the Chairman or fan of a team with loftier ideas (be that deserved or not) then you'll end up being frustrated with his cautious style. Which, IMHO, is what ended up happening at Charlton.
  • I think its very hard to judge Curbs at present

He was at Charlton with little pressure lots of time and not a lot of cash

At Westham he has the opposite, he does seem to have bought some rather injury prone players there though
  • Oh for the days when we had 6 centre backs plus another 5 players in the squad who could play there and 8 holding midfielders with 5 of them playing behind Darren B.
  • I read an interesting interview with Dean Ashton in the Sunday Times, where he said he refused to use his own club's medical staff and seeked his own advice instead. Says it all.

Under Curbs we constantly struggled to get players fit. A dead leg would last 4 months. And he too often bought players with previous medical problems. I have never known so many player retire due to injury than at Charlton.

That whole medical team is now at Upton Park. I know a lot of Hammers and yes, they do believe that he has made them Charlton in disguise, but who else was he going to mould them on? That is all he knew, thank god he's not the England manager eh?

I don't give two hoots about him personally. Sure he was the greatest but he has subsequently disappointed me with some of the things he has said, insinuated or not said.
  • Oh for the days being 8th 9th of 10th in the league...
  • ....and the season over by Christmas
  • Lucas Neill - £55k a week
    Freddie Ljungberg - £85k a week
    Craig Bellamy - £80k a week

No sympathy for them - the club's diseased.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    No sympathy for them - the club's diseased.

Chicken(run)pox ?????
  • Don't be silly Smudge.

Its Hammeroids
  • since he left we've gone downhill massively and we will take a long time to return to that level(7 consecutive prem seasons) and why some of our fans would like to see him have a mare is beyond me

i'd love to know what people would like him to say as west ham manager about charlton ffs
    cos we all love it when pardew talks about palace and west ham!!
  • In a way I want him to fail at West Ham so that other fans don't believe we only got to where we were because of him. Don't get me wrong, he was a major player in getting to and staying in the premiership, but I don't think the board gets the credit that they deserved. I reckon we can get back to the promise land within this decade.
  • oohaah, one question.

If Curbishley had stayed, do you honestly believe we would of stayed up that season ?
  • Curbs first 3 buys were:

Calum Davenport - paid £3m 18/01/07 and been injured for much of his time there, playing just 7 League games to date. Those 7 games read as follows:
    v Newcastle Drew 2-2
    v Liverpool Lost 1-2
    V Aston Villa Lost 1-0
    v Charlton Lost 4-0
    v Tottenham Lost 4-3
    v Wigan Won 2-1
    v Man City Lost 3-0

Played 7 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 5 Conceded 17

Nigel Quashie - paid £1.5m 08/01/07 and played the grand total of 7 League games in 20 months

Luis Boa Morte - paid £5m 05/01/07 and started 26 matches many of which were up front scoring just the 1 goal in the process. Considered a complete waste of space by many Hammers supporters.

Would he have been allowed to pay £10m for those 3 at Charlton. Doubt it very much.
  • sorry missed a game:

Calum Davenport - paid £3m 18/01/07 and been injured for much of his time there, playing just 8 League games to date. Those 8 games read as follows:
    v Newcastle Drew 2-2
    v Liverpool Lost 1-2
    V Aston Villa Lost 1-0
    v Watford Lost 1-0
    v Charlton Lost 4-0
    v Tottenham Lost 4-3
    v Wigan Won 2-1
    v Man City Lost 3-0

Played 8 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 6 Conceded 18 - and look at some of the teams they've lost to with Davenport at the back!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]oohaah, one question.

If Curbishley had stayed, do you honestly believe we would of stayed up that season ?

Simply? Yes I do. It wouldnt have been pretty by any means but I think we would have even without having spent very much
  • The Dimwit board at West ham have finally realised that running a football club is a financial bottomless pit and there is not a penny to be made if you are not a top 2/3 club.
    They are cashing in,hence the sale of Ferdinand and probably Bellamy.

Doomed i say!
  • as a pessimist i always thought we'd go down but realistically i think YES he'd have kept us up, he just somehow managed to do it