Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: The 2017 Summer Squad Upgrade and the need for Mag-nificence

Comments

• Agree that this window has been positive and the best so far under Roland - not saying much though is it, particularly when we've been left negligently short of strikers.

Also if we go up it will be no thanks to Roland - without the pressure from CARD we absolutely would be watching the likes of lepoint drifting aimlessly in league 2
  • Gawd, I hope you're right.
  • i did try and say on here that the experiment was over this time last year but unfortunately the hangover from relegation and slades efforts werent very convincing so hopefully people can get back with supporting the team, help get bus promoted and then the experimenter can sell up and clear off - we may have had 3 shit years but we will be left with a better training ground as a legacy and still be at the valley and with a better pitch.
  • I want a team that I can like again and my Saturday afternoons back. I'm a lot closer to both than I have been for ages but a jigsaw with two pieces missing is as frustrating as hell. Season ticket? Dunno guv. Let's we how we get on today with a couple missing.

The team I do like.
    I'm off Oldham to see 'em in a moment, so that must mean something. I even have an expectation of seeing good football, something which is a novelty for me.
    How Karl and his team have achieved this I don't know.
    The fact that we're so short of strikers is bonkers, but it'll be interesting to see how we deal with that when Mag is unavailable.
    The Charlton soap opera continues apace. Best show in town.

• vffvff
    edited September 2017
    IMO Duchatelet has a plan to sell if he can get someone, to pay a price that allows him to recoup losses / cut a profit. Plan B's & C to sell Konsa / Aribo / & or Kashi or anyone that can reduce the losses whilst plan A to sell. Long shot plan C to develop the Valley for housing / commercial. Duchatelet would Surely love to separate club & Stadium, but must be aware of the significant opposition to that plan.

No expert on currency, I wonder how the falling price of Sterling fits in. It is likely to factor into Duchatelet's calculations as well.

Whatever his aim is, success & achievement on the pitch appears to be secondary & to be a side concern. It is mystifying, & a bit infuriating as the team / squad gets so close but is hamstrung by the final bits of the jigsaw not being completed. With the striker situation it almost appears that Duchatelet wants to avoid automatic promotion.

Maybe he has the expectation that the Under 23's will step up. If it succeeds all well & good if not then at least one of them maybe able to be sold on to make up losses. It is just guesswork. Difficult to work out the logic of what is aimed to be achieved. That's been true since the beginning. One of the problems is there is no clear measure of what Duchatelet considers to be success.

I am looking forward to the time when Duchatelet finally sells up. Really hoping that is sooner than later. Long time Charlton supporters will be still going to the Valley long after Duchatelet has sold & left the club. It is just a matter of keeping the faith & holding firm. Charlton will rise again & the success will be all the sweeter.
  • I like the game plan and watching England frustratingly plod around against Malta ffs last night during the first half until I could stand it no more I realised how much more enjoyable Charlton's football has been so far this season. The window has all been about bringing in players that buy into and can thrive in the game plan. Each new player has been a revelation as has each kid that has stepped up. Some existing players look like they've been unshackled. Those that have gone presumably didn't fit or didn't want to. And the greatest beauty of it all is it has space for the kid with legs and stamina that hasnt had the joy of free flowing attacking football totalling coached out of him to fit in and thrive - there is a special generation coming through in this country, the summer success of so many England teams has shown that. To me, I have to believe the window has been a success.
  • edited September 2017
    Getting KRs targeted strikers "over the line" could still have been their unwillingness to play for this mad regime.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thing I like about this team is that most of the players have a point to prove. Players like Amos and Forster-Caskey were very highly rated a few years ago and have unfulfilled potential that can give someone the drive to really improve. Does Kashi want to be here? Who knows. He seems happy for now which is good for us as he is a top end Championship player on his day, but no one is going to buy him off of two years out so he has to impress here. Da Silva clearly likes it at Charlton (was it reported he wanted to come back here rather than the Championship or did I imagine that?), while the likes of Fosu and KAG are young and hungry. Holmes (especially) and Magennis are consumate professionals, while Reeves and Marshall are really going to have to go some to dislodge Clarke/Fosu. Solly is Solly, Pearce is a player I rate highly and Bauer seems to be getting some form back. It's so frustrating to not have a real quality player to rival Magennis, it would have put us in an extremely good position for the automatics. As it is, I'd hazard a guess we'll finish 3rd/4th, but if we can get to January in the promotion picture and get Grigg/Taylor/Godden or whoever in then, then we should be looking to go up automatically.
  • The thing I like about this team is that most of the players have a point to prove. Players like Amos and Forster-Caskey were very highly rated a few years ago and have unfulfilled potential that can give someone the drive to really improve. Does Kashi want to be here? Who knows. He seems happy for now which is good for us as he is a top end Championship player on his day, but no one is going to buy him off of two years out so he has to impress here. Da Silva clearly likes it at Charlton (was it reported he wanted to come back here rather than the Championship or did I imagine that?), while the likes of Fosu and KAG are young and hungry. Holmes (especially) and Magennis are consumate professionals, while Reeves and Marshall are really going to have to go some to dislodge Clarke/Fosu. Solly is Solly, Pearce is a player I rate highly and Bauer seems to be getting some form back. It's so frustrating to not have a real quality player to rival Magennis, it would have put us in an extremely good position for the automatics. As it is, I'd hazard a guess we'll finish 3rd/4th, but if we can get to January in the promotion picture and get Grigg/Taylor/Godden or whoever in then, then we should be looking to go up automatically.

Dodoo may yet surprise you; much quicker than Mag, more unpredictable, will make more mistakes.... but has potential. Took his goal calmly.
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15511545.Preston_striker_rejected_Charlton_move_on_transfer_deadline_day/

KR says we tried to sign Doyle but he turned us down for Oldham - didn't want to come down south.
  • Scoham said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15511545.Preston_striker_rejected_Charlton_move_on_transfer_deadline_day/

KR says we tried to sign Doyle but he turned us down for Oldham - didn't want to come down south.

He's still trying to find Dale Stephens and the South Downs.

• Sponsored links:

• I agree with you Scoham and am pleased you agree with me, because you are always bang on the money.
  • I agree with you Scoham and am pleased you agree with me, because you are always bang on the money.

Get a room you two :wink:
  • I think the transfer window was excellent we got in Reeves, Marshall, Clarke and Fosu for possibly £300K, when they could have cost us what £1M/£2M or more ?

We also got in Amos and Da Silva on loan & both are looking top class.

We kept and gave new contracts to our best players Holmes, Pearce and Magennis and we've got the excellent Kashi back as well as Sarr, who has looked top class, albeit not yet in a league game.

We moved on the players who were not performing, were on high wages and regularly came at the bottom of the CL marks week in week out. Tex, Watt, Ajose, Novak, Crofts as well as Roger Johnson.

We've got some of the Academy players on much needed loans, Hanlan, Umerah, Charles-Cooke.

I genuinely believe we made an offer for Will Grigg, but Wigan refused to sell to a rival.

I believe we tried to get Matty Taylor, but Bristol C wouldn't sell/loan.

I believe we had agreed terms with Matt Godden & Stevenage, only for Stevenage to massively hike the price on the last day.

This led us to chase Eoin Doyle & Dodoo.
    So whilst we are a striker down, I do believe the outcome wasn't as the club intended.

This team is playing the most exciting and attractive attacking football since we were riding high in The Premier League. They remind me of the Hales, Flanagan, Powell & Peacock years, when you often thought the team were capable of scoring five every game, even if they would ship some at the other end.

They were such exciting times and I feel we may have them back 40 years later. It's the complete opposite of the turgid football we have been served up for so many years.

It's very early in the season and I fear the bookies favourites Wigan and Blackburn as well as a few others, but as it stands I believe we have a team capable of automatic promotion and the play offs as a minimum.
    I think our team are playing better football than anyone we faced last season.
    The big issue of course is if Magennis gets injured and how Dodoo or a n other will "fit in".

We have been sensible with the budget and let's be honest us fans can't have it both ways.
    We can't expect to spend millions in transfer fees on top of an average annual loss of say £5M (ok not this season due to Lookman funds) and then complain that the sum owed to RD is growing and growing.
    We either want him to spend "large" and let the debt grow quicker or we want him to budget sensibly and try to contain the spiralling debt.

In summary, in my opinion Charlton are now being run like a proper football club once again.

We have a good League 1 manager, who so far has done pretty much what Chris Powell did.
    He's moved on all the players that weren't capable of doing what he wanted or didn't want to be at the club.
    He's replaced with them Charlton type players, who also look like they are up for the fight.

RD is always going to be quirky and there are sure to be bumps along the way, but I'd love it (Kevin Keegan style) if the fans returned and got fully behind the players, manager and coaches, because they are playing some wonderful passionate football.

The atmosphere at The Valley is really positive now and it would be great to have some of the missing fans return.

Surely all our fans must recognise that things have changed, it's nothing like it was a couple of years ago.

Quirky? That's one way of putting it I guess.
  • Agree totally with the comments by CE, possibly a striker short but the rest of the team seems adequately covered.

We will get injuries and then the squad will be tested but certainly will be getting behind the team this season.
  • edited September 2017

I think the transfer window was excellent we got in Reeves, Marshall, Clarke and Fosu for possibly £300K, when they could have cost us what £1M/£2M or more ?

We also got in Amos and Da Silva on loan & both are looking top class.

We kept and gave new contracts to our best players Holmes, Pearce and Magennis and we've got the excellent Kashi back as well as Sarr, who has looked top class, albeit not yet in a league game.

We moved on the players who were not performing, were on high wages and regularly came at the bottom of the CL marks week in week out. Tex, Watt, Ajose, Novak, Crofts as well as Roger Johnson.

We've got some of the Academy players on much needed loans, Hanlan, Umerah, Charles-Cooke.

I genuinely believe we made an offer for Will Grigg, but Wigan refused to sell to a rival.

I believe we tried to get Matty Taylor, but Bristol C wouldn't sell/loan.

I believe we had agreed terms with Matt Godden & Stevenage, only for Stevenage to massively hike the price on the last day.

This led us to chase Eoin Doyle & Dodoo.
    So whilst we are a striker down, I do believe the outcome wasn't as the club intended.

This team is playing the most exciting and attractive attacking football since we were riding high in The Premier League. They remind me of the Hales, Flanagan, Powell & Peacock years, when you often thought the team were capable of scoring five every game, even if they would ship some at the other end.

They were such exciting times and I feel we may have them back 40 years later. It's the complete opposite of the turgid football we have been served up for so many years.

It's very early in the season and I fear the bookies favourites Wigan and Blackburn as well as a few others, but as it stands I believe we have a team capable of automatic promotion and the play offs as a minimum.
    I think our team are playing better football than anyone we faced last season.
    The big issue of course is if Magennis gets injured and how Dodoo or a n other will "fit in".

We have been sensible with the budget and let's be honest us fans can't have it both ways.
    We can't expect to spend millions in transfer fees on top of an average annual loss of say £5M (ok not this season due to Lookman funds) and then complain that the sum owed to RD is growing and growing.
    We either want him to spend "large" and let the debt grow quicker or we want him to budget sensibly and try to contain the spiralling debt.

In summary, in my opinion Charlton are now being run like a proper football club once again.

We have a good League 1 manager, who so far has done pretty much what Chris Powell did.
    He's moved on all the players that weren't capable of doing what he wanted or didn't want to be at the club.
    He's replaced with them Charlton type players, who also look like they are up for the fight.

RD is always going to be quirky and there are sure to be bumps along the way, but I'd love it (Kevin Keegan style) if the fans returned and got fully behind the players, manager and coaches, because they are playing some wonderful passionate football.

The atmosphere at The Valley is really positive now and it would be great to have some of the missing fans return.

Surely all our fans must recognise that things have changed, it's nothing like it was a couple of years ago.

Without doubt the most intelligent post I have read on CL for some while. Bravo
    You need to go to the 'Needing to go' thread.
  • thanks for all your comments and inputs, enjoyable read