Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dilemma

So as well as working part time for the fire service I run a small company and every year we have a Christmas outing which I part pay for............usually the alcohol, anyway we attended the same god awful venue (to me anyway). I am a punk and metal head at heart, I really can't stand over played benign pop music, like Ed Sheeran and Adele, I know I am in the minority but they make me fill up with angst and mild nausea. Anyway the venue in question was our regular Christmas outing for about a decade, the food is just about OK but they have a Buble impersonator followed by a cheesey disco as the entertainment, the last few years I have managed to subtly steer them to somewhere more to my liking though. This year it appears I will either have to face my personal torment again or throw a full on childish strop.

So this is their outing that they plan and i am only an invited guest, so do I go and suffer or throw a strop and pretend I am otherwise engaged?

Comments

• Don't pay for the booze and spend a grand booking a suitable punk band.
  • I'd not go on the basis you have another commitment. Not pay with no explanation, it's your money after all.
    Then organise something you like, on a different night, and invite them to that. But make it clear you're buying the first drink and then they're on their own.
  • Seems a bit selfish to me, i get you part pay for the event but if my boss wanted to have a punk band playing for xmas i wouldn't go. Get in the Christmas spirit and dont be such a scrooge
  • Meet them halfway. Early finish with nibbles beers and wine at the office (with music of your choosing) then let them go on to the cheese bar on their own.
  • and December is so busy, you should move it to May.
  • First bloody mention of Christmas and it's only September, should i out you?
  • Fiiish said:

Meet them halfway. Early finish with nibbles beers and wine at the office (with music of your choosing) then let them go on to the cheese bar on their own.

This but hold back half the money and put on a punky night for all the old punks on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• When you say it's a small company......... it's a football club isn't it?
    And your CEO aren't you?
  • First bloody mention of Christmas and it's only September, should i out you?

Not my fault you have to book these things early.
    Curb_It said:

So its a Christmas party for the staff to say thanks for all their hard work over the year but you want to do what you would like and not the staff who the party is for?

Seems a bit selfish to me, i get you part pay for the event but if my boss wanted to have a punk band playing for xmas i wouldn't go. Get in the Christmas spirit and dont be such a scrooge

It is their do, that I am invited to. I took over from my Dad as the boss, my sister works with me as well, I just pay for some of it as a thank you. Doubt it is expected. To be honest I will either send my sister (who pays only for herself and actually likes the night) with some money for drinks or simply go and be miserable. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep asking me to to dance or if I am having a good time, as I am a shit liar.
  • I like rock and metal but i also like pop music and other stuff also. Bit weird that a genre of music would make you feel angry like that..
  • MrOneLung said:

and December is so busy, you should move it to May.

I also have the fire station Christmas do coming up, for which I am usually one of the designated non drinkers (as we are usually still on call) but one of lot always refuses to come as it is too close to Christmas! This year we are doing it differently and heading to London with our wives so beware, a lot of old blokes with weak bladders are on their way.
  • cfgs said:

So as well as working part time for the fire service I run a small company and every year we have a Christmas outing which I part pay for............usually the alcohol, anyway we attended the same god awful venue (to me anyway). I am a punk and metal head at heart, I really can't stand over played benign pop music, like Ed Sheeran and Adele, I know I am in the minority but they make me fill up with angst and mild nausea. Anyway the venue in question was our regular Christmas outing for about a decade, the food is just about OK but they have a Buble impersonator followed by a cheesey disco as the entertainment, the last few years I have managed to subtly steer them to somewhere more to my liking though. This year it appears I will either have to face my personal torment again or throw a full on childish strop.

So this is their outing that they plan and i am only an invited guest, so do I go and suffer or throw a strop and pretend I am otherwise engaged?

Be a shit and threaten to cancel unless you get your own way;)
  • edited September 2017
    SamB09 said:

I like rock and metal but i also like pop music and other stuff also. Bit weird that a genre of music would make you feel angry like that..

I don't mind some pop, I actually really like Blur and Pulp for example. I am an odd fellow for example I don't get road rage but I get pavement rage, can't stand people getting in the way when I am walking.
  • Curb_It said:

So its a Christmas party for the staff to say thanks for all their hard work over the year but you want to do what you would like and not the staff who the party is for?

Sorry cfgs have to agree with this. The Christmas Party is for my team and it's about thanking them for their help in making the business successful. If what I wanted came in to it there wouldn't be one.
  • Bang Gladys in accounts in the disabled bogs , tell the know it all from the warehouse he is a prick , puke on the pa to the other boss

Go home act as if nothing happened and look forward to next yr

Just a normal day at the office you then D. : - )
  • cfgs said:

First bloody mention of Christmas and it's only September, should i out you?

Curb_It said:

Seems a bit selfish to me, i get you part pay for the event but if my boss wanted to have a punk band playing for xmas i wouldn't go. Get in the Christmas spirit and dont be such a scrooge

It is their do, that I am invited to. I took over from my Dad as the boss, my sister works with me as well, I just pay for some of it as a thank you. Doubt it is expected. To be honest I will either send my sister (who pays only for herself and actually likes the night) with some money for drinks or simply go and be miserable. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep asking me to to dance or if I am having a good time, as I am a shit liar.
    If you really think all of the above you are not cut out to be a boss or run a company. I have been running my own business for 27 years and employ over 30 staff now and we would not have come this far including trading through two recessions if it was not for the staff.

You need to be clever and make them think it is their company and they make all the important decisions.

The fact you are present at the do will mean a lot to the staff even if they don't show it, sending your sister sucks.

When you own and run a business you need to do the shitty stuff as well as taking the profits.
    True, I am going to go everyone knows that.......I am married so have to do as I am told, but I am simply voicing my ire on a place none of them will ever see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

this
  • Attend but with headphones on.

That way:

1. You're seen to be there;
    2. You get to listen to your own music all night;
    3. You don't have to talk to any of your worthless staff.
  • I should have also pointed out that of the other 12 or so people that go to this, about half the company (the others always opt out of social gatherings whatever we do and I have offered them all the chance to choose something more suited to them), only the the one person with the drive to book it actually wants to go to this place. Most would simply prefer a nicer meal without all the trimmings.
  • edited September 2017
    Just go, chat, get drunk and if you don't fancy dancing just say it's not my thing and carry on chatting instead.
  • Just go, chat, get drunk and if you don't fancy damcing just say it's not my thing and carry on chatting instead.

Imagine an overweight drunk hippo staggering around a dance floor, that has balance issues when sober.
  • cfgs said:

First bloody mention of Christmas and it's only September, should i out you?

Curb_It said:

I hope for your sake your sister's name isn't Gladys.
  • Bang Gladys in accounts in the disabled bogs , tell the know it all from the warehouse he is a prick , puke on the pa to the other boss

Go home act as if nothing happened and look forward to next yr

Just a normal day at the office you then D. : - )
    Our xmas parties are legendary
  • cfgs said:

Just go, chat, get drunk and if you don't fancy damcing just say it's not my thing and carry on chatting instead.

Imagine an overweight drunk hippo staggering around a dance floor, that has balance issues when sober.
    Normally my target for the night mate.

Don't aim too high.