Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums (Featuring Blood on the Tracks and The Yes Album)

Album Title:Blood on The Tracks
Artist: Bob Dylan
Release Year: 1975

Bob Dylan's fifteenth studio album was released to mixed reviews, but over time has cemented itself as one of his finest pieces of work. The record is strongly believed to be an account of his personal trials such as his failing marriage, but Dylan himself denied that the album was autobiographical.

Although he had continued to achieve commercial success in the years since the period that may be considered to be his heyday, Blood on the Tracks was probably his first landmark record in almost a decade.

1. Tangled up in Blue
2. Simple Twist of Fate
3. You're a Big Girl
4. Idiot Wind
5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
6. Meet Me in the Morning
7. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
8. If You See Her, Say Hello
9. Shelter From the Storm
10. Buckets of Rain

Album Title: The Yes Album
Artist: Yes
Release Year: 1971

By 1970, Yes had released two albums that hadn't performed well and were facing the possibility of being dropped by Atlantic Records.
The Yes Album saw their first album of entirely original material, the introduction of new guitarist, Steve Howe and their first commercial success.

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. The Clap
3. Starship Trooper (a. Life Seeker b. Disillusion c. Würm)
4. I've Seen All Good People (a. Your Move b. All Good People)
5. A Venture
6. Perpetual Change

Folk and Prog. Not going to be easy to compare, but which one do you think most deserves the mantle of 'CharltonLife's Favourite Album'? The winner will be through to the last eight.

If you haven't listened to either, they are only about an hour and a half combined. Even if you end up not enjoying them, as most of you watch Charlton play, ninety minutes of boredom is no different to what you may experience on any given Saturday.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4WD4pslu83FF6oMa1e19mF

https://open.spotify.com/album/4nQe6IzubN7cE7EWzrIvu4

Comments

• My feelings about Bob Dylan are a bit like Ed Sheeran today - alright but doesn't do a lot for me.

The Yes Album came out when I was 17/18. I saw them at The Festival Hall and was wowed. A bit dated now but The Yes Album was a landmark in my long (and still active) music interest,
  • I love the Yes album but this is an easy one. Chris Squire was a bass player supreme by the way.

Blood on the Tracks.
  • How could you do this to me?
    I suspect Zimmerman will walk this one and probably deserves it for Idiot Wind alone.
    But the album is loaded with great songs and is probably my favourite Dylan album alongside Desire and Highway 61.
    The problem for me is that the Yes Album has such a sentimental hold on me.
    I still love the songs and for me it is very evocative of a happy period in my life.
    Hard then for me to choose.
    I'll give it to Blood on the Tracks.
  • Starship Trooper....an anthem for me, at weekends I was often out of my nut on various acid trips in those days and it was the "go to" track for the group of pals I had (who are still my pals to this day), never failed to be played several times a night.....just the mention of it brings back the most joyous memories of a truly magical time in my life......23 at the time.
  • Less familiar with yes, but what I've heard isn't really my thing

Blood on the tracks is an excellent album, and I'm voting for that
  • No contest - Blood On The Tracks.
  • No contest for me either...still listen to The yes Album regularly so Yes for me.
  • This is the first one I feel really strongly about.

Nothing against Dylan, but this isn't Blonde On Blonde, and The Yes Album is, well, The Yes Album. It's a monster, a joyous, soulful, caterwauling monster.

One vote for prog here
  • Sponsored links:

• Blood on Tracks is a piece of musical genius, tapping into the exact emotional swings you feel when you fall in love and then fall into hate in the case of idiot wind...

He takes you through the full spectrum of different emotions felt on the journey of relationship...

A master storyteller at the peak of his powers...

If you are in the depths of grieving after a breakup get some beers, and some scotch and packet of cigarettes and listen to that album on repeat...

The only gripe I have with it is the song Jack of hearts is unnecessary and doesn't really belong on the album, IMHO
  • Blood On The Tracks for me, I think it is Bob's greatest album but still love Joni
  • stonemuse said:

Blood on the Tracks versus boring pretentious crap. :wink:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

Blood in the Tracks would win v any album for me but this is no contest.

Dylan at his lyrical and musical best, the break up with Sara " sat up all night in the Chelsea hotel, writing sad eyes lady of lowlands for you" as he wrote later inspired him, the lyrics are cutting, angry, sad, funny, brilliant.

Yes? Never liked that voice, the lyrics are shit, the music terrible.
  • Blood on the Tracks isn't my favourite Dylan album and I'd probably put Fragile above The Yes album, But for all the brilliant live versions experienced from these tracks I'm going for The Yes Album.
  • Blood On The Tracks all day long.
  • Blood on the Tracks for me,for Tangled up in Blue.
  • mascot88 said:

Blood on Tracks is a piece of musical genius, tapping into the exact emotional swings you feel when you fall in love and then fall into hate in the case of idiot wind...

He takes you through the full spectrum of different emotions felt on the journey of relationship...

A master storyteller at the peak of his powers...

If you are in the depths of grieving after a breakup get some beers, and some scotch and packet of cigarettes and listen to that album on repeat...

The only gripe I have with it is the song Jack of hearts is unnecessary and doesn't really belong on the album, IMHO

I take your point regarding Jack of Hearts, but it does provide some welcome relief from the intensity of the rest of the album.
    It's very cinematic in scope and you can kind of picture Clint Eastwood in the lead role, with Robert Shaw as Big Jim, Sondra Locke as Lily and maybe Carrie Snodgrass as Rosemary.
    I love it.
  • Starship Trooper....an anthem for me, at weekends I was often out of my nut on various acid trips in those days and it was the "go to" track for the group of pals I had (who are still my pals to this day), never failed to be played several times a night.....just the mention of it brings back the most joyous memories of a truly magical time in my life......23 at the time.

This, without the acid for me.
  • Yes album for me.

I know Dylan is a genius. Just can't listen to that whiny voice. Really enjoy some covers of his many fine songs.
  • edited September 2017
    3blokes said:

Blood on the Tracks for me,for Tangled up in Blue.

This and Idiot Wind are up there with the best songs he has ever written imo.
    Have you heard the earlier versions of both songs on the Bootleg Series Vol 1?
    They are brilliant in there own right but also a fascinating insight into the way Dylan will forever tinker with or even change his lyrics, as he has often done with live versions of his songs
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Blood on the Tracks all day long, although I liked Yes when I was about 15/16 (I think it was Fragile I liked then. Yes haven't really aged well imho.)
  • Blood on the tracks by a country mile. Love Dylan and this is one of his best.
    Never got Yes.
  • stonemuse said:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

Dylan at his lyrical and musical best, the break up with Sara " sat up all night in the Chelsea hotel, writing sad eyes lady of lowlands for you" as he wrote later inspired him, the lyrics are cutting, angry, sad, funny, brilliant.

Henry, you might be interested in the contemporary New Musical Express review of the Yes album by Charles Shaar Murray which cruelly, succinctly and amusingly went: -
    "Yes. Yes? No"
  • stonemuse said:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

Henry, you might be interested in the contemporary New Musical Express review of the Yes album by Charles Shaar Murray which cruelly, succinctly and amusingly went: -
    "Yes. Yes? No"
    CSM was so right.
  • You know who the pretentious ones are? The ones who dismiss something out of hand because it doesn't conform to their pre-conceived ideas of what music should do :)
  • Oh, and the NME have a proud history of doing just that. Garbage publication, always has been
  • stonemuse said:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

"Yes. Yes? No"
    Yep, good one from CSM

Also the man who said the Clash were a garage band who should stay in the garage with the engine running IIRC
  • The first time I’ve ever voted tactically.

I knew the Yes album had a chance to progress, whereas my preferred choice ‘Close to the Edge’, was most probably a concept too far …

I fell in love with Yes when they first hit the scene with their debut albums ‘Yes’ and ‘Time and a word’. ‘The Yes Album’ went to another level imo.

They always were a Marmite band. I know from experience the futility of trying to persuade a doubter to listen - and I mean really listen. You get it or you don’t. Four exceptional musicians added to a brilliant vocalist, producing a truly unique and wonderful sound.

Incidentally, I have Blood on the Tracks playing in the background as I write ... it’s a bit dull aint it?

Its yes, yes, yes to The Yes Album for me.
  • stonemuse said:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

"Yes. Yes? No"
    Yep, good one from CSM

Also the man who said the Clash were a garage band who should stay in the garage with the engine running IIRC
    Didn't take long for him to change his mind. After Strummer's death, he had changed his opinion so much, he called The Clash immortal.
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Dylan for me.

Sums it up.

"Yes. Yes? No"
    Yep, good one from CSM

Didn't take long for him to change his mind. After Strummer's death, he had changed his opinion so much, he called The Clash immortal.
    "back in the garage with my bullshit detector"

at least the review gave us a great song on a great album, more that Yes ever managed : - )