Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Why won't someone buy us :(
  • Can't see why an overseas buyer would buy Wigan

Yes, it's Wigan, but more importantly Wigan are a small club, with little historical fanbase and surrounded by giant clubs who hoover up the support. Even in the PL their gates were small
  • Can't see why an overseas buyer would buy Wigan

Yes, it's Wigan, but more importantly Wigan are a small club, with little historical fanbase and surrounded by giant clubs who hoover up the support. Even in the PL their gates were small

It is bizarre, still firmly a rugby town and doesn’t seem like that will ever change.
  • who the fcuk would buy Wigan !
  • who the fcuk would buy Wigan !

the football club owns 3/4 of the DW Stadium where the FC and Wigan Warriors play home games .. the stadium is less than 20 years old, is very tidy and situated in an out of town shopping and leisure development and earns money all year round .. so, the ground alone is worth a lot ..

If Wigan get back to the premier, which is not at all unlikely, they will have the guaranteed parachute and TV money to sustain the club for a long time.

£20 million seems to me, if not a give away or a bargain, a very do-able price for a decent club which despite the recent downturn, has enjoyed success in the past few years.
  • I find it hard to believe the ground is worth a lot when compared to south east prices. Also the chances of them getting to the premier seems unlikely when you look at some of the sides in the Championship.
    Seems like a gamble to me
  • Sponsored links:

• No idea if they could get back to the premier league soon, but they will get back there. Hopefully we'll get there first.
  • Dazzler21 said:

No idea if they could get back to the premier league soon, but they will get back there. Hopefully we'll get there first.

No guarantee of either of those predictions, though based on history I'd say we were more likely!

After all Wigan went back to the Championship, then went straight back down again...
  • Dazzler21 said:

No idea if they could get back to the premier league soon, but they will get back there. Hopefully we'll get there first.

No guarantee of either of those predictions, though based on history I'd say we were more likely!

After all Wigan went back to the Championship, then went straight back down again...
    Didnt help the fact they didnt give Caldwell a chance after he got them promoted

Chris Powell had a slow start when we went up but the board stuck by him and we just missed out on the Play-Offs...

Wigan on the other hand decided to resort to the Managerial tactics that saw them relegated to League One in the first place - They replaced Caldwell with Warren Joyce who only has experience with U23 squads and then replaced him with someone even worse!!
  • Wigan will yo yo between L1 and Championship for some years I suspect
  • edited October 2017
    More evidence (none needed) that roly's expectations on Charlton's value are deluded beyond parody.
    With its catchment area, geographical location, attendance figures, transport links, Charlton Athletic has to be a vastly more attractive proposition than Wigan. But not at any price.
    Any new owner will come with uncertainty as to their sanity and financial strength but all the while roly's price is so far removed from anything anybody will consider it looks like we're stuck with the mad old bungler for the foreseeable future.
    Great...

Might not be the only ones if things don't change around here.

not if the mooted Chinese owners put in a lot of cash, success can be bought ..

and the manager (Cook) is top quality as is their present squad, evidenced by the beating they handed us at the Valley ...

I am looking forward to the last game of the year when we play over there .. it'll tell me/us a LOT about both clubs/squads

and the manager (Cook) is top quality as is their present squad, evidenced by the beating they handed us at the Valley ...

I am looking forward to the last game of the year when we play over there .. it'll tell me/us a LOT about both clubs/squads
    Yeah I'm looking forward to the away game...

Was the Wigan win at the Valley just a day where we caught them on form, or can they do that again
  • Wigan pier must be worth more !

Yeah I'm looking forward to the away game...

Was the Wigan win at the Valley just a day where we caught them on form, or can they do that again
    they played just the right game to exploit our weaknesses, weaknesses that are still there ..
    i.e at the back along the flanks when we are attacking and lose the ball in the last third and defensive weaknesses in the air ..
    the selection of Sarr would do a lot to prevent these problems as would Konsa instead of Solly at right back .. BUT, we digress ((:>)..

Have no doubt, this Wigan outfit is good, it's skilful and can put it about and I reckon it has staying power .. and so could we with a few adjustments in tactics and personnel
  • Sponsored links:

There are plenty of rich Chinese owners (and other foreign owners) already in the Championship, all with "bigger" clubs than Wigan, it's an incredibly competitive league, and one where horrible sums of money are being lost in pursuit of promotion!
  • Hmm... Hong Kong based. If you go to the away game, you might not want to buy a hot dog.
  • edited October 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Didnt help the fact they didnt give Caldwell a chance after he got them promoted

Chris Powell had a slow start when we went up but the board stuck by him and we just missed out on the Play-Offs...

Wigan on the other hand decided to resort to the Managerial tactics that saw them relegated to League One in the first place - They replaced Caldwell with Warren Joyce who only has experience with U23 squads and then replaced him with someone even worse!!
    Having won our first 4 games with Powell as manager we then went 11 games without a win!

We were 5th at the point Parky was sacked and finished 13th!

Powell's first signing was BWP who stopped us finishing in a far worse position by popping up with goals in games we otherwise were toothless.
  • Hmm... Hong Kong based. If you go to the away game, you might not want to buy a hot dog.

Why am I totally, totally unsurprised that someone would make some sort of racially-charged somewhat stereotypical "joke", whenever investors from the Far East are reportedly interested in a football club?
  • edited October 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Having won our first 4 games with Powell as manager we then went 11 games without a win!

We were 5th at the point Parky was sacked and finished 13th!

Powell's first signing was BWP who stopped us finishing in a far worse position by popping up with goals in games we otherwise were toothless.
    Sorry meant that Powell had a bit of a slow start after going up to the Championship

Charlton let him adjust and it worked - Wigan didnt let Caldwell adjust to new level and failed

Edit: Blimey didnt actually realise how close the two of us were... When Caldwell was sacked at the end of October, they were 22nd in the League and had 10-pts... Chris Powell on the other hand had us in 20th on 12-pts

We went on to finish 9th with 65-pts
    Wigan finished 23rd with 42-pts

Funnily if you look at where it turned around for us that year... It really was the Cardiff 5-4 win!!
  • the poor support wont mean much if they can get their hands on premiership loot !

Because you're a vegetarian?
  • seth plum said:

Hmm... Hong Kong based. If you go to the away game, you might not want to buy a hot dog.

Because you're a vegetarian?
    I think because it really will be a Dog.
  • 20 mill, for Wigan, wonder what our ‘real valuation’ is, around 14 chips?
  • PaddyP17 said:

Hmm... Hong Kong based. If you go to the away game, you might not want to buy a hot dog.

Why am I totally, totally unsurprised that someone would make some sort of racially-charged somewhat stereotypical "joke", whenever investors from the Far East are reportedly interested in a football club?
    I don't think you get the joke, @PaddyP17 . You see, in China, or Korea - one of those sort of countries over that way, anyway - they apparently eat dogs. Ha ha ha! Dogs!