Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade Trophy match v Portsmouth (7th Nov)

edited October 2017 in General Charlton
I’m over for work and have the evening free so I’ll most likely head down to the Valley.

Am I right in saying they will probably only open the East & Jimmy Seed stand for the match?

Anyone else planning on attending?

Comments

• West lower rather than East
  • JohnnyH2 said:

West lower rather than East

Cheers!
  • Well that's one person going. I might make it two.
  • Prob be more Pompey than Charlton.

Probably open the Jimmy Seed for away fans. They won't for Fulham U23s.
  • I'd be surprised if the attendance makes four figures for the Fulham game. Prob will for Pompey as their fans are a bit obsessed.

That would be a good question for the historians.

“Has there ever been a match played at the Valley where the away fans outnumbered the home fans?”
    Millwall felt like it in the 70s

That would be a good question for the historians.

“Has there ever been a match played at the Valley where the away fans outnumbered the home fans?”
    Yes....definitely Charlton v Chelsea twice in 1983 !!
  • edited October 2017
    Charlton v Leicester ( I think) when we were playing at Upton Park ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely outnumbered by away fans in quite a few games during the Selhurst days.

Certainly remember going to a couple of games v Liverpool, one of which (might have been 1988 or 89) i think was sold out where they seemed to have double the amount of fans we had.
  • Only ever went to one "home" game at shitehurst park, Kettering in the cup, for some reason, sure they outnumbered us.

Anyway, this is irrelevant, as the question was out numbered at home - The Valley
  • Only ever went to one "home" game at shitehurst park, Kettering in the cup, for some reason, sure they outnumbered us.

Anyway, this is irrelevant, as the question was out numbered at home - The Valley

I’ve posed this question on a separate thread

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/79653/has-there-ever-been-a-match-at-the-valley-where-the-away-fans-outnumbered-the-home#latest

I remember walking towards the ground and seeing loads of Kettering coaches.

The oppo had been saying that they were bringing 8,000 fans - I'm sure the official attendance was given 16,001.

The oppo had been saying that they were bringing 8,000 fans - I'm sure the official attendance was given 16,001.
    Did they call it Operation Selhurst?

I remember counting 70 odd coaches.

Ha Ha seriously you went around & counted 70 coaches ? :smile:
    Nope, that was the job SeriouslyRidiculous carried out for his stats file.

Wow. Bet you're a right hoot on a night out!!
  • Planning on going to this as son back from Uni.
  • Sponsored links:

• I still have no idea what the f***ing chekatrade trophy is.
  • drewman said:

I'd be surprised if the attendance makes four figures for the Fulham game. Prob will for Pompey as their fans are a bit obsessed.

Although a lot of Pompey fans have been boycotting this comp as a matter of principle re the U21 aspect.
  • Night game against Millwall early 70s. We lost 0-2

Well, they were parked up behind The Arthur Waite stand and all along the adjoining road.
    I had to walk past them all on the way back to the car.
    As all you could see were coach after coach, yes I did count them as I walked past.

Well, they were parked up behind The Arthur Waite stand and all along the adjoining road.
    I had to walk past them all on the way back to the car.
    As all you could see were coach after coach, yes I did count them as I walked past.
    Would have been easier to look at the numbers in the coaches' windows and see what the highest number was!

Your joking I thought elfs was sad
  • clb74 said:

Only ever went to one "home" game at shitehurst park, Kettering in the cup, for some reason, sure they outnumbered us.

Your joking I thought elfs was sad
    I was standing behind him double checking.
    you would only have been able to see up a high as the wheels.