Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
Karl Robinson made a point at bromley addicks that KAG is trying to be to much like a winger.

Think we saw a prime example on Sunday, we broke it was 2 against 2 if i remember correctly our 2 was kag and holmes
And yet for some reason it was KAG running down to wing and Holmes in the box.

Also noticed when he came on he did appear to spend more time out wide which caused Fosu and Holmes in the centre alot more.

I wonder how Karl, Lee and Jacko can address this.
there is only a certain amount of times Karl can tell him to stay in the middle and let the wingers go out wide.

At one point Karl was screaming Karlan Karlan when he finally looked over you heard robbo shout listen to me.

Comments

• He can't say he hasn't had chances. Simply not good enough for league 1
  • I don't particularly rate KAG, don't think he will ever play above this division that's for sure.

But play too much like a winger? Isn't that his position this season. In his defence, he was asked to play down the wing in the summer, now we might need him front as Dodoo is crap. That seems a bit harsh on him and not easy for a young player.
  • For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.
  • He is fast and strong. Should be able to crack it at this level. Something's missing up top though. Hope he works it out
  • For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.

No chance with our squad size. In January Hanlan and/or Umerah may well overtake him.
  • From a promising youngster who broke into the first team 3 years ago his game just hasn't kicked on. I don't think he is good enough for this level and certainly not championship
  • Scoham said:

For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.

No chance with our squad size. In January Hanlan and/or Umerah may well overtake him.
    Did Umerah and Hanlon play in the FA Cup at the weekend?
  • I think he's too cocky, he seems to have a confidence and a swagger about him that doesn't match his goalscoring record
  • Leuth said:

He is fast and strong. Should be able to crack it at this level. Something's missing up top though. Hope he works it out

So is Dwain Chambers but I doubt he could play professional football. KAGs decision making and finishing is too poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be working for him at Charlton at the moment. Every time I see him play I end up thinking that’s the last time he will get a game, which is a bit harsh I accept. I think he needs a prolonged spell on loan elsewhere where he can get regular games and find his shooting boots.

Did Umerah and Hanlon play in the FA Cup at the weekend?
    Hanlan yes
    Umerah no
  • edited November 2017
    Leuth said:

He is fast and strong. Should be able to crack it at this level. Something's missing up top though. Hope he works it out

I'm convinced it's his touch, first one has improved but it's too heavy when he's dribbling - makes it too easy to close down and get something on as a defender.

An example of the other end of the spectrum is when Holmes is running at defenders (maybe a bit of an unfair comparison on KAG), where the ball stays right underneath him even at pace, making it easier to change direction on the fly and be unpredictable. KAG runs like when you hold the 'sprint' button on the old versions of Pro Evo.
  • KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level
  • He's no Reeco but I think once he scores once he'll score more
  • Dazzler21 said:

KAG does a lot right, just not the important part - His finishing is awful at pro level

Which goes to show the massive gulf between age group and senior side, he was scoring for fun for the u18s when he was 15/16 iirc
    Karl commented on this at Bromley Addicks and said he has changed and wants to be a winger with tricks rather than just goals. I am sure KR did say he sees enough in him to want to try and work on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• KAG is a bit of an enigma, has all the attributes to be a very good player at this level but never seems to click for him. Remember him coming on against Fulham in one of his first few appearances and running them ragged. Be interesting to see how he does if he can get a couple of goals and boost his confidence.

Same here. That was in the Championship and he certainly didn't look out of place that night.

• Development harmed by being thrown in too early and being played out of position.

This

Development harmed by being thrown in too early and being played out of position.

Yep. For all Roland's insistence on playing young players, he doesn't actually give a monkey's about their development. Just what he can sell them for.
  • In a lot of ways KAG reminds me of Lisbie.
    Both have pace but both are poor goalscorers.

For some reason we persevered with Lisbie as a striker for about 8 or 9 seasons and in all that time all he managed to score was 19 goals for us a truly awful return.
    I believe that Lisbie just like KAG would be better off using his pace out wide as he is not a natural goalscorer.
    Having said that league one is as high as I can ever see KAG playing so if we go up this season i would release him.
  • Reminds me of kim grant with even less end product
  • In a lot of ways KAG reminds me of Lisbie.
    Both have pace but both are poor goalscorers.

Lisbie wasn't an poor goalscorer he was just a poor goalscorer for us. He seemed to score loads at a lower level and sadly I think that's where KAGs future lies.
  • Lisbie was technically on another planet to KAG
  • KAG needs to go for his own good. New scenery and challenge may bring out a different player.

Things have got a bit stale here for him so going away and rebuilding could be the best thing for him unless he drastically picks up his form! Cant see it happening though.
  • edited November 2017
    He obviously has something about him but not able to show it on a match day. He needs to stick to being up front, he might have the physical qualities to play out wide but I don’t think he has the technical and tactical qualities to do it.

He was thrown in well too early and exposed too much, that’s hindered his development and it’s tough for young player from there on. He needs to score a goal but he can only do that by getting in between the goal posts, in those positions and not out wide doing things which aren’t his strength.

If we can get in Leon Best and another striker in January, send Dodoo back, we should also send KAG out to a League Two side and play up front for the rest of the season. If this was to happen and he fails to impress at all, and hopefully we go up this season, I can see him being sold to a newly promoted League Two side or sent out on loan for a full season with it being his last chance.

It’s a shame as he is still very young and has a lot to learn and improve, there is something there that is for sure, but as Bowyer said on Thursday night, if you’re at the age of 20/21 and not playing first team football, you probably aren’t going to make it at the level you’re at.