Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

Comments

• GODFREY EVANS
    Born 18 August 1920 at Finchley
    Died 3 May 1999 (78) at Northampton

Awesome keeper. Wisden described him as "arguably the greatest wicket-keeper of all time".

One memorable moment for me though was down at Canterbury in the 1950s when the West Indian fast bowler Roy Gilchrist (and boy was he fast) broke Godfrey's middle stump.

Some of his stumpings were quicker than the eye could see. He was by nature an aggressive middle order batsman but didn't he create a world record on one occasion for staying on 0 for 90 minutes?
  • GODFREY EVANS

Awesome keeper. Wisden described him as "arguably the greatest wicket-keeper of all time".

One memorable moment for me though was down at Canterbury in the 1950s when the West Indian fast bowler Roy Gilchrist (and boy was he fast) broke Godfrey's middle stump.

Some of his stumpings were quicker than the eye could see. He was by nature an aggressive middle order batsman but didn't he create a world record on one occasion for staying on 0 for 90 minutes?

On a recent trip to the St Lawrence ground I don't remember seeing much about the great Sir Godfrey, although I may have missed it.

There were tributes to all the greats, Cowdrey, Knott, Underwood etc, but couldn't remember seeing anything about the great man.

Anyone know?
  • GODFREY EVANS

Yes in a back to the wall partnership with Trevor Bailey against Australia
  • Not on this earth but is 40 today. Voyager 2 is boldly going where no man has gone before.
  • John Lee Hooker - b22.8.1912

Arguably one of the, if not, the best Blues Guitarists of the 20th century.
    I find his music inspirational and always have something on in the car by him.

How I'd love to get my head and fingers round some of the great riffs as in Dimples, Boom Boom and Boogie Chillen No.2

A real legend.
  • JOHN OATES
    Born 13 September 1905 at Winsford, Cheshire
    Died March 1992 age 86

He played centre half for Charlton from 1936-46 making 145 appearances for the Addicks and scoring three goals.

John Oates is described by Michael Walsh in "A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club" as being "as tough as old 1930s boots. Oates cost 650 pounds from Aldershot, but turned out to be such an asset that Charlton ended up giving the Hampshire club an extra 499!"
  • JOHN OATES
    Born 13 September 1905 at Winsford, Cheshire
    Died March 1992 age 86

He played centre half for Charlton from 1936-46 making 145 appearances for the Addicks and scoring three goals.

John Oates is described by Michael Walsh in "A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club" as being "as tough as old 1930s boots. Oates cost 650 pounds from Aldershot, but turned out to be such an asset that Charlton ended up giving the Hampshire club an extra 499!"

Thought his surname was OAKES?
  • Dead right, thanks Len
  • Slightly premature but Marc Bolan would have been 70 on the 30th September. He was killed, however, 40 years ago today at just 29. Unique and pioneer of glam rock. Master of his craft even if, at times, it was about front rather than substance.

Great programme about him last night called "Marc Bolan: Cosmic Dancer".

RIP Marc
  • GORDON HURST
    Born 9 October 1924 at Oldham
    Died 1980 aged 56

Gordon Hurst played nearly 400 matches for Charlton on the right wing between 1946 and 1957, The following year he joined Tunbridge Wells as player-manager until 1961. He scored 75 goals for the Addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017

Would've been John Lennon's 77th birthday today.
  • BENNY FENTON
    Born 10 October 1918 at West Ham
    Died 29 July 2000 age 81 at Poole

Benny Fenton began his youth career at Colchester Town, then West Ham. He played for the West Ham first team pre-war before joining Millwall where he played 20 games between 1939-1947. His main career was at Charlton where he played 264 games and scored 22 goals between 1947 and 1955.

He was described in a Guardian obituary as the "quintessence of Cockneyism". Playing at right half for the Addicks he was a wily player rather than a hard one, nown for his innocence of expression - "What me, ref?" when typically stealing a throw-in.

In the 1950-51 season he was made Charlton captain which according to accounts "sobered and improved his play immensely".
  • CHRIS DUFFY
    Born 21 October 1918 in Methil, Scotland
    Died 20.2.1978, age 59

The FA Cup final which took place at Wembley on 26 April 1947 may have been a stinker, but it produced the most momentous goal in Charlton's history - a strike worthy of winning an FA Cup Final. Chris Duffy's sweet half-volley from 14 yards hit the back of the Burnley net in the 114th minute and, in an era of polite handshakes and perhaps a gentle ruffle of the hair, the Addick's match winner galloped the length of the pitch before jumping into the arms of team-mate Jack Shreeve.

This was Chris Duffy's third Cup Final for Charlton. The 25 year-old from Leith Athletic in Scotland played as a wartime guest in the 1944 Final beating Chelsea 3-1 in front of a crowd of 85,000. The trophy was presented to Don Welsh by US General Dwight Eisenhower taking an afternoon off from planning the imminent D-Day landings. Duffy also played in the 1946 Final before his history-making goal against Burnley the next year. He seemed to save his best performances for the FA Cup, netting 15 times in 16 appearances in those great Cup runs of 1946 and 1947.

In 1946 Duffy transferred to his only other club - Charlton Athletic - for 333 pounds. Described as a fast and intelligent left wing he played 162 games for the Addicks, scoring 33 goals, before hanging up his boots in 1953. He lived happily with his second wife and children in Bangor, Northern Ireland until his death in 1978.

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00028000/00028042.mp4.m3u8
  • Two Charlton players of a bygone era were both born on November 5th

JIMMY OAKES
    Born Hanley, Staffordshire on 5 November 1902
    Died at Stoke-on-Trent 1992 on 7 November 1992, aged 90

Jimmy played 234 games for Charlton between 1933-39. He was a two-club man who ended up playing for both clubs in the same match. After starting for Port Vale in a fixture against Charlton which was eventually abandoned, he was transferred to the Valley before they re-arranged game took place!

GEORGE TADMAN
    Born at Rainham, Kent on 5 November 1914
    Died at Bristol on 28 September 1994, aged 79

George played 93 games for Charlton between 1936-39. He scored 50 goals in 93 games playing on the wing or centre forward.

No player perhaps epitomises how WW!! Blighted so many Charlton careers as that of George TADMAN. In the last peacetime season he plundered 24 goals in 31 games, including a spell of eight in four matches. He began 1939-40 with two in three outings before the season was shut down. Still only 24, TADMAN never played another Football League game.

When Don Welsh named the best team over his years at Charlton between 1935 and 1947, he had no hesitation in picking TADMAN - and himself. His full line-up was: Sam Bartram, Bert Turner, Jimmy Oakes (captain), Frank Harris, John Oakes, Don Welsh, Monty Wilkinson, Sailor Brown, George TADMAN, Les Boulter, Harold Hobbis or Chris Duffy.

From: A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club by Michael Walsh

Heroes past

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-charlton-athletic-footballer-george-tadman-in-action-during-a-training-83600152.html
  • BERT 'SAILOR' BROWN
    Born 7 November 1915 at Great Yarmouth
    Died 27 December 2008, Morayshire, aged 93

Michael Walsh's excellent 'Charlton Athletic - A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club" features Sailor Brown among our legends. He was a star turn at every Valley ex-players' parade, despite having played so few games for the club. Derby singled him out as the danger man in the 1946 Cup Final, his last game for Charlton. Also from the book -

"Sailor used to go missing before the players went out for each game. He would be in the toilet having a quiet Woodbine. He was such a good player, the Manager took no notice" - Sam Bartram.

Sailor played mainly as an inside forward and joined Charlton as a 19 year old in 1934. He scored 21 goals in 47 appearances before his transfer to Notts Forest for 6,750 pounds. He moved to Aston Villa the following season for 10,000 pounds (a record for Villa at the time). During the war Brown featured in six wartime internationals for England scoring four goals.

He was given the nickname "Sailor" due to his "rolling gait and muscular build"

It would be good if daughter Julie's poignant message of October 15 could be kept alive from time to time while we are plagued by the current ownership.

Remembered

• edited November 2017
    My Grandad.

Born 7 November 1902 Lambeth

Despite passing away when I was still only 9 years old he probably did more than anyone to imbue me with a sense of the history of our great club.

He was on speaking terms with many of the players from the beginning of our league times through to the fifties and I learned of "Scotty" kingsley, Harold Halse, Harold Hobbis and many more he'd encountered at his bedside.

EDIT: Just read @Blackheathen 's post re 'Sailor' Brown above mine!

Another player Grandad spoke of fondly to me.
  • Chizz said:
    I remember the day he died vividly as I had met him a couple of times.
    Elfsborg has a signed England shirt of his by the way
  • Chizz said:
    This thread is for celebrating life, not how and when they died. What do you remember about him as a cricketer?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    This thread is for celebrating life, not how and when they died. What do you remember about him as a cricketer?
    As a Surrey fan I remember the Bicknell brothers
    The Hollioake brothers and now
    The Curren brothers.
    Ben Hollioake was a superb all rounder he was also a bit of a maverick.

His brother told a few stories about him years ago that were very funny.
    He once Sat naked outside of somewhere waiting for a car to pass only to back out at the last minute to run inside and put his clothes on.
    He was a proper character and is sorely missed
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    He was instrumental in Kent losing yet another one day final c 1997 and was a fine one day player for Surrey.

Who knows how good he could have become in all forms not just white ball had he survived?

RIP

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    More than a bit.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    More than a bit.
    Why can't people be mellow and inoffensive like you and me?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    More than a bit.
    They don’t make them like us anymore mate.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    More than a bit.
    They don’t make them like us anymore mate.
    Very true.

People can learn a lot from us. Respect to others, manners.....
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    The point of this thread is about celebrating some people's lives when they were at their best, as opposed to pontificating about their deaths. There are loads of RIP threads, so it's a bit more cheerful to have a different thread to read good things about the lives of interesting people.
  • You've got them on the ropes Chizz
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:
    A bit unnecessary.
    The point of this thread is about celebrating some people's lives when they were at their best, as opposed to pontificating about their deaths. There are loads of RIP threads, so it's a bit more cheerful to have a different thread to read good things about the lives of interesting people.
    I think you are being picky. For what reason I do not know.
  • You've got them on the ropes Chizz

I don’t think so.