Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 Posh 2 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Strange game

Defensively as a unit we were terrible, with Bauer and Konsa in particular being poor. Both their goals came from good crosses with the attacking player reacting quicker than the CBs. We actually looked better once Bauer went off, as Djiksteel was very solid at RB (albeit with no attacking threat)

Midfield was poor as well, neither Kashi nor JFC played well, however JFC redeemed himself with the goal-line clearance (and the "assist" for the penalty)

All our attacking play went down the left hand side, with Dasilva and Holmes linking brilliantly, and giving their young RB a bit of a mare, but Holmes' delivery was consistently poor, not helped by a static strike force not attacking the spaces

Marshall was anonymous, we had so little threat down his side, though in his defence Konsa is a very limited attacking threat going forward, so provided little assistance. Magennis and Best were ineffective, hopefully their understanding will improve and Best's sharpness will get better.

We were lucky to not concede a penalty, but the penalty award to us brought the game to life and to be fair, most people stayed behind to the end. Sarr then showed Magennis how to win the ball in the air, a great cushioned knockdown and KAG's moment of glory, and reward to the hardy souls at a freezing Valley. Posh will rue some missed chances and 2 points thrown away, but we've been in the same situation ourselves...
  • Just looked on Twitter...I find this very troubling and concerning-:
    This includes tonight

Average home league attendance #cafc

17/18: 10893 (After 10 League Games)
    16/17: 11162
    15/16: 15632
    14/15: 16708
    13/14: 16129
    12/13: 18503
    11/12: 17428
    10/11: 15582

The lowest average home league attendance since season 1994/1995.

Now why is that. Can't be anything to do with the team.
  • Our late, late show does not excuse yet another desperately poor performance. As often, we began brightly enough, yet if Posh hadn't muffed a one-on-one with Amos, they would have been 2-0 up after 11 minutes. Then we fell apart, all sloppy and strewn with basic errors, routine passes going astray. Even with Leon Best there was no movement off the ball up front, no darting sprints to invite balls from midfield.

We were even worse in the second half: ponderous and tentative, as if frightened by the game itself. Unchallenged on the edge of the box, Kashi skied miles over the bar. Our left side of defence was skinned for Posh's second goal: a clinical finish to which we should aspire. We were fortunate not to concede a penalty on 60 minutes.

Our defensive clearances plopped 15 yards forward, promptly seized by the opponents for another attack. Too often, Posh streaked past our defenders; Amos was beaten on 84 minutes and saved by a goal-line clearance.

As usual, Holmes was our best player, the only man with forward ambition. He won plenty of corners and delivered inviting crosses – yet neither Magennis nor anyone else attacked the ball in the box. Until the last-minute penalty, we failed to muster a single shot or header on target in the entire second half.

We have played badly for months. I wasn't at Bradford; perhaps we played well there. But our home form is dismally weak: we haven't won convincingly since against Northampton in August.

We don't look like play-off contenders. Even if we do finish in the top six, do you think we have the necessary guts in midfield or potency in attack for the crucial games? Not with this squad of players, I fear.

• Fortunate that Peterboro wasted enough time to allow us to equalise and not be too far from winning it. There were never 9k in there tonight.
  • 5 points from the last 4 league games (3 of them at home) and 7 goals conceded in them is a bit worrying but when you're in a pub league crappy form can still get you results as today proved .

Wigan and Blackburn i fancy for top two and we should stay in the play offs

3% Automatic promotion ........68% Play offs ........... 29% 7th-12th

100% Roland Out
  • Something inside so strong.

canters, why do you keep saying that? its so cringeworthy.
    Dirge of a song, nowhere near enough drums.
  • edited November 2017
    we robbed them, I would be gutted if I was a Peterborough fan, as soon as we got the penalty it was always going to happen and they would have known it.

My cousin left early on 87 missed the goals and didnt believe me when I called him. @charltonnick was on his way out to but scuttled back in to celebrate.
  • Sponsored links:

• The defence were shaky tonight. It would have helped if they had some protection though from Kashi and JFC.
  • They had everyone behind the ball when we tried to go forward and broke quickly - and imaginatively - whenever they had the chance. Fast, fit, young team.

We had technically better players but made some mistakes, and paid for it. Kashi had an off night and Bauer didn't look too comfortable.

The game could have finished 4-4. Not convinced we are a solid promotion prospect based on any of this: but, we're certainly looking better than we have for a couple of years.

Didn't see the last couple of minutes coming at all. What I take from it is that we have a team that fights to the end. Holmes is key. He isn't brilliant, but he is quick and runs at the other side (and often into trouble) and keeps pumping crosses into the box. You get volume with him, which is what is required at this level. His constant running at the other side also leads to free kicks and penalties for us. An asset.
  • We were poor, injuries to key players don't help.

3rd home game in a row and we look very poor at the back, silly and simple mistakes. Konsa in particular has been very shaky imo.

Good to see KAG score,
  • They had everyone behind the ball when we tried to go forward and broke quickly - and imaginatively - whenever they had the chance. Fast, fit, young team.

We had technically better players but made some mistakes, and paid for it. Kashi had an off night and Bauer didn't look too comfortable.

The game could have finished 4-4. Not convinced we are a solid promotion prospect based on any of this: but, we're certainly looking better than we have for a couple of years.

Didn't see the last couple of minutes coming at all. What I take from it is that we have a team that fights to the end. Holmes is key. He isn't brilliant, but he is quick and runs at the other side (and often into trouble) and keeps pumping crosses into the box. You get volume with him, which is what is required at this level. His constant running at the other side also leads to free kicks and penalties for us. An asset.

I think that's a really astute observation. His crossing and set piece delivery has been poor in recent weeks. But he keeps doing it. And at this level, with a player of his ability and some of the cloggers you get in defenses, sometimes all it takes is one good one in 10.
  • Phew, we do sure need our best players available and fit.
  • The final 4 mins of the match aside, meeting you again was the highlight of my evening, Len.
  • Sponsored links:

• My take on this evening..........

I thought we played better than the previous 2 home games, although we had very little penetration. Holmes saw the vast majority of the ball, but did very little with it. His crossing is getting worse although as someone said on here earlier at least he continues trying to do something. I thought that having gone 1 down & reverting to 4-4-2 then we looked a bit better, but Big Josh & Best weren't on the same wavelength (which isn't a surprise as this was their first game together) & so when Josh headed one down Best was 10 yards away & vice versa. Middle part of the 1st half we actually upped the tempo, but a lot of huff & puff but again no real end product.

I thought Dijikstel played well & is a better right back than Konsa. Marshall was strangely subdued & by God do we miss Fosu. Posh scored a great 2nd goal & just shows what can happen if you play the ball low & hard instead of high & floaty. I didn't think their shout was a pen & their player messed up by cutting back out instead of just shooting when he was through.

I watched the last 10 mins of the QPR game last night so kept reminding Golfie Jnr that it ain't over until the final whistle, but neither of us thought that we'd pull it around as we approached 90 mins. Thought when Holmes hit the pen that it was going to join Nicky Baileys ball somewhere near planet beetlequice, but happy to say it did find the back of the net. Didn't know (or care) who or how the 2nd one was scored, just b****y glad it was..........but happy now it was KAG.

final observations...........

Peterborough always left 2 up front when we had a corner, which meant we had 3 back & so less in the box to attack the ball. Hope KR takes note.

Also as noted by other posters on here, Peterborough weren't a team of cloggers & played some very tidy, attacking, football. Just wish we had front 3 pairing. Marriott I believe came from non-league football - makes you think, doesn't it.

Hope also that Big Josh noticed Sarr's assist for our second - that's how you play a knock down !! Josh got nowhere near to a cross all game, but we keep floating them in there in the off chance he will suddenly change a habit of a lifetime & decide to attack one for once.

Still not convinced that we are anywhere near good enough to go up this season & fear that by January we will be out of the play off places. 3 big games coming up (Pompey, Blackburn & Wigan) and if we play like we have done recently I can see nothing more than a single point.
  • Awful performance, remarkable turnaround. Thought Konsa, Best, Baur, Kashi absolute garbage tonight. Why anybody would pay big money for Konsa is beyond me.

So if we can get £5M for him, we should take it?
  • JamesSeed said:

Pretty awful second half. A few minor obeservations:

Would like to see Holmes whipping in crosses rather than floating them (which he does mainly when using his right foot). He worked hard and beat his defender (or won a corner) time and time again, but I don't think I've ever seen more crosses come to nothing. Also, why not switch him and Marshall/Fosu occasionally. Have a go at their left back.

In the first half Best looked more effective than Magennis. Hardly saw him in the second, which perhaps isn't surprising. Has potential.

Dijksteel looked excellent. Quick, athletic and good on the ball. Probably a better right back than Konsa. He'll go far I think.

Sarr was excellent. He set up the equaliser with his nod down. I knew we'd benefit from his height in the box eventually.

But in midfield we need a playmaker with some physical presence. Too often tonight it was just, 'give it to Ricky and see what happens'.

What a finish to the game though. The people behind me were thinking of leaving, but I mentioned last night's QPR comeback (2 goals in extra time). Felt like a point won, when it was actually two points dropped.

Shockingly small crowd for what was an important match.

North Upper got behind the side when we were two down - impressive.

I'm surprised at your comment regards the crowd. SeriouslyRed has said we are getting 10,000 Charlton fans in The Valley for every game.
  • edited November 2017
    Definitely a point gained out of nowhere. I couldn't give a toss how P'boro fans feel after that. I give a toss how our fans felt after getting the two goals. Did Walsall fans care about how we felt when they equalised up there late on? Or MK Dons fans, did they give a toss how we felt? What about Wigan fans when they stuffed us 0.3? Yeah I am sure I heard them saying how sorry they felt for us that night.

As others have said, injuries and lack of experienced squad depth are hurting us at the moment. We were never going to be good enough for top two so playoff challenge it is and we should make that. Then it's a lottery as we all know.

I don't care how badly we played last night, I am more than happy to take a point and move on. One defeat in eleven games and the doom merchants are out in force. Must be the season of goodwill again.
  • It was fast becoming the DaSilva/Holmes show as these were the only creators of opportunity for the whole game. You can hoof the ball up and over a thousand times but if no one can get it in the net what is the point?. The other great piece of news is dijksteel. Great performance.
    If we don't sort the problems up front we wont get promoted. Tonight was dire and the result allows us to forget that.
  • There’s no doubting our squad is too thin for a proper promotion challenge. But we haven’t half had injury problems the last few years. I think most teams would struggle without key players like Clarke, Reeves, Pearce, Fosu, Solly and now Bauer.
  • Fell asleep on the sofa, woke up & checked the score, 0-2 after 85 mins.
    Left it at that, look at CL before going up, WTF 2-2.
  • Spent yesterday evening at a training exercise for the fire service, kept my phone in the pocket of my leggings in the hope I could keep up to date with the game. Turned out I was far too busy other than the just after they scored their second.

Then as I climbed on the appliance to head back to our station, all the shortcuts to tweets on my phone's lock screen were positive. Madness.