Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 Posh 2 - Post Match Views

Comments

• edited November 2017
    vff said:

One thing surprised me on the match stats was that Charlton had 56% possession. From most people’s comments, Charlton did not play well. How did they end up with such high stats, did Peterborough sit back & let Charlton back in ?

Once they scored (11th min?) they sat back and played the '60 minute game'. They were very well organised playing six at the back.

I'd like the stats as to the amount of crosses we put in. It was only the final cross that led to anything. But what a thing!
  • I can only judge that game based on the goals and when they were scored.

Sounds like stoppage time saved our season as if we lost, it would have been 2 defeats in 2....and we would have majorly been on the road towards a slump and outside the top 6.

It also denied peterborough all 3 points, which was also important.

Great point gained at the death.
  • shirty5 said:

Just looked on Twitter...I find this very troubling and concerning-:
    This includes tonight

Average home league attendance #cafc

17/18: 10893 (After 10 League Games)
    16/17: 11162
    15/16: 15632
    14/15: 16708
    13/14: 16129
    12/13: 18503
    11/12: 17428
    10/11: 15582

The lowest average home league attendance since season 1994/1995.

Now why is that. Can't be anything to do with the team.
    Shirty - the really surprising fact is that it's still 'officially' as high. Far more than 300 fans are boycotting or have drifted away since the 16-17 season. As we know, what has helped them avoid the stark reality of what they have done to the fan-base is the £175 season ticket option which has proven a big draw. It was interesting to see our pricing structure 'second highest' in the division in recent analysis and also lauded elsewhere as 'most affordable." That's because of the huge disparity between the giveaway price in the Lower North and elsewhere. As a consequence we keep seeing pictures of virtually empty East an West stands at kick-off, because so few have renewed there, influenced by the relatively high price. The majority in the Lower North also now feel they can afford to pick and choose games given the £7-od quid they have effectively paid, So, no surprise, on evenings like last night, thousands stay away and we are actually playing in front of much smaller actual attendances than the published average of 10,893. As someone has already said, the official gate last night would suggest one-third full (including the away end) and it was plainly less than a quarter or a fifth full - do the maths.
  • Left on 85 minutes. Don’t regret it at all, was considering leaving on 75. I hear Konsa and Kashi could go for big money. Ha Ha.
  • I thought Sarr was poor too ( but not as much as Bauer and Konsa) .He miss timed headers so often when he launches himself in the air. It’s a little worrying .
  • I think when LL publishes the Match stats that Naby will be up there in top 3 - then again, that wouldn't be hard after last nights performance.
  • The post match interview with Karl Robinson was a bit different to the usual rhythm of these things, and I wonder if anybody else saw it and thinks, as I do, that it had a certain manic quality to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:

Watched stream on posh ifollow app. I have signed up for Walsall and Pboro Ifollow now lol. Do not know why CAFC don’t do ifollow. We are bit one dimensional at times coming down left with Da Silva and Ricky. A little lucky for the Peno but well done KAG

Just a heads up mate, you dont need to sign up each time. You can use the same iFollow log in for any team. Will save you some time.
  • PWR - Our persistence and Posh’s lack of game management at 2-0 and trying to score more in the last few mins meant we snatched a draw we probably didn’t deserve. I was asking myself why, when they were attacking us in the last few minutes of the 90, they just didn’t keep hold of the ball and run the time down. Posh only seem to know one style of play and that is to hit their opponents on the break. Didn’t go too loopy at the end because I knew we had nicked a point because we did not look like creating one chance in the second half, the closest being a shank off their defenders boot from a Marshall cross.
  • Watched on the iFollow as im based in Halifax during the week.

Playing Best in the hole did not work, he should have put JFC there and put Aribo in. I thought we were shocking at the back and at times it was like a hot knife through butter. They doubled up on Holmes, yet we still tried to put everything through him.

Thought this was up there as the worst of the season, our formation got pulled out of shape all over the shop. Should have pushed Best up front in a 442 or swap him.

A lofted ball into the box seems to be our downfall.

On a positive note, rescued a point from the jaws of defeat. Onward we march
  • Re: the penalty decision they didn’t get - if My memory serves me, from my angle it looked as though the attacker was trying to hit the ball with his left but because the ball was moving away from goal he had to get his body round too quickly to get a shot on target and as Dijksteel ( I think ) got close to him it was more a case of the attacker hitting the defender than the other way round.
  • Dave2l said:

I can only judge that game based on the goals and when they were scored.

Sounds like stoppage time saved our season as if we lost, it would have been 2 defeats in 2....and we would have majorly been on the road towards a slump and outside the top 6.

Bit dramatic, we're in the play off spots and it's only November.

whilst i don't think we're good enough for the top 2, we're more than capable of being top 6. When fit we have a strong side so we'll win more than we lose, but because we lack a bit of extra quality up front we're always liable to miss chances and drop points.
  • edited November 2017
    Once they got the goal, which they looked more likely to - they sat back, played narrow and stifled us. We were crowded out in the middle, which forced us to hit the flanks and pump ultimately tonnes of unsuccessful crosses in. Playing wide wasn't helped by Marshall having a bit of a bad game and them somewhat figuring out Holmes by doubling up on him and forcing him wide (although it did result in a load of corners). Their big number 5 also made easy work of whatever we sent into their box in the air.

That said, it really felt like a point for the youngsters who were on the pitch at full time - think it'll be a big boost to Aribo, KAG and Dijksteel (and Konsa who started) who were chucked on and rescued us, albeit fortuitously.

A poor performance, but got a point that we shouldn't really have and some more (undeserved) positives to take away.
  • Dave2l said:

I can only judge that game based on the goals and when they were scored.

Bit dramatic, we're in the play off spots and it's only November.

whilst i don't think we're good enough for the top 2, we're more than capable of being top 6. When fit we have a strong side so we'll win more than we lose, but because we lack a bit of extra quality up front we're always liable to miss chances and drop points.
    Yeh ok.

I just know what charlton are like sometimes. When the confidence drops....things can go from bad to really bad.

We had a little blip in September...no win in 5 or something, and recovered from it rather well so maybe we do have more of a backbone now, then I assume.
  • I think when LL publishes the Match stats that Naby will be up there in top 3 - then again, that wouldn't be hard after last nights performance.

I think young Anfernee might stealthily squeeze past him. Wouldn't begrudge him if so
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought our midfield went missing last night - Holmes had an off night but he was by far the most visible. Marshall had a poor game as did Kashi who comes across as a poor version of Kish.

Still not sure about JFC but as others point out he does pop up at the right time.
  • Got to be happy to scramble a point after a poor performance, and another example of why you should never leave a game early. (did anyone see QPR V Brentford the night before). Important to keep Peterborough at arms length and still comfortably in the top 6 although the way we missed some key players (Fosu, Clarke, Solly) shows me that the depth of the squad probably means that a Play Off spot rather than an automatic place is a more realistic target, but lets see what happens in January and still more than half the season to go.
  • edited November 2017

JamesSeed said:

The come back doesn't hide how poor we were for 90 mins.

The set up was bizarre, the pace leaden and the one tactic was pass in to Holmes and hope.

Sarr was a liability, Marshall isolated, Best didn't show much but hard to judge in such a poor performance.

Posh could have scored more and it looked like a clear pen to them near the end while JFC cleared off the line.

We went direct, got bodies forward and finally Josh was in the game and we had players running into the box.

Posh must be gutted because they were cruising but they didn't see the game out. How many times have we been on the other end of a result like that.

Motm - Jake

We are missing Clarke so much.

Official att: 9,532, with 453 from Posh. Another dismal "crowd"

So pleased for KAG, hope he kicks on.

Most of that I agree with, except that bit. Consensus, for what it's worth, is that Sarr had a good game.
    Must have missed all those headers he misdirected, the players who run passed him, the fouls fouls given away. He was poor. He wasn't the only one but he was poor.
    Not sure if you're a Valley Passer, but worth checking on the feed. If you can bear to watch that again!

His pass completion rate was very high indeed. Headers tend to be clearances, and yes they didn't always fall to us. Don't remember him giving away that many free kicks. It was, for the second match running, a Kashi foul that led to a goal.

There was a spell in the second half when a couple of players ran passed him. Their striker was very nippy. Naby is about 6'5", so it's going to happen.

Quit a few lifers have him as their MoM, so you might be out on a limb saying he was poor. [Edit: Not that many actually]
    I'd say he's just beginning to look like a Championship player or better.

I'm still looking forward to Pearce coming back however.
  • In the cold light of day it’s still 2 points dropped though.

Point gained for me, and a significant one. 2 points taken away from the team below us, making the distance between 6th and 7th 6 points instead of 3 and keeping us in with a (admittedly unlikely) chance at 2nd.
  • We were pretty poor overall.

Despite the goal we actually decent in the first half, and I think all the attempts on goal before the crazy ending were from the first half. Trouble is they were all right at the goalie so nothing he couldnt cope with.

The second half we were far worse, endless runs down the left would finish with a Holmes cross that no one would ever get on the end of. In fact I cant remember a solid header toward goal before our goals. P'boro looked dangerous on the counter, when they got the ball back they would pop a lofted through ball which would always befuddle Sarr and lead to a possible goalscoring chance.

Great to get a result even with the poor performance, like ppl have said already, this is what happens when your a top 6 team.
  • edited November 2017
    CAFCTrev said:

We were pretty poor overall.

Despite the goal we actually decent in the first half, and I think all the attempts on goal before the crazy ending were from the first half. Trouble is they were all right at the goalie so nothing he couldnt cope with.

The second half we were far worse, endless runs down the left would finish with a Holmes cross that no one would ever get on the end of. In fact I cant remember a solid header toward goal before our goals. P'boro looked dangerous on the counter, when they got the ball back they would pop a lofted through ball which would always befuddle Sarr and lead to a possible goalscoring chance.

Great to get a result even with the poor performance, like ppl have said already, this is what happens when your a top 6 team.

Spot on post.

Btw: The Holmes shot that beat the keeper but which was headed off the line.
  • Keep seeing the word 'disjointed' and I fully agree. Defensively we looked all at sea, Konsa looked uncomfortable at RB and Bauer uncharacteristically off his game. Up top it was 'pass it to Holmes and see what he can do'. Best was invisible and Big Josh ineffectual. Peterborough were nothing special - just organised. I think if we played the injury time period 100 times - 99 would be either 0-2 or 1-2, utter scenes at the end. Just shows a game is never over and if you keep believing you can get something however unlikely. Injuries need to clear up and reinforcements need to come in if we are to keep in the race for second place. The squad is looking perilously thin now.
  • My youngest son works for Joe Coral. His car is out of action at the moment so I picked him up from work last night.

Me: What things have people been betting on today?
    Him: A lot of people have been betting on Charlton.
    Me: Charlton! Why's that?
    Him: Because they are playing.
    Me: What, now?
    Him: Yes, Peterborough are beating us 1-0. [there's a little electronic sound, and he looks at his phone] Make that 2-0.

Man, how I hate you Duchatelet!

Glad we pulled it around though.