Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 Posh 2 - Post Match Views

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:

We were pretty poor overall.

Despite the goal we actually decent in the first half, and I think all the attempts on goal before the crazy ending were from the first half. Trouble is they were all right at the goalie so nothing he couldnt cope with.

The second half we were far worse, endless runs down the left would finish with a Holmes cross that no one would ever get on the end of. In fact I cant remember a solid header toward goal before our goals. P'boro looked dangerous on the counter, when they got the ball back they would pop a lofted through ball which would always befuddle Sarr and lead to a possible goalscoring chance.

Great to get a result even with the poor performance, like ppl have said already, this is what happens when your a top 6 team.

Shit, they even let you out of the ticket office to watch the game sometimes? Not good enough Charlton ;)
  • robroy said:

Watched on the iFollow as im based in Halifax during the week.

Playing Best in the hole did not work, he should have put JFC there and put Aribo in. I thought we were shocking at the back and at times it was like a hot knife through butter. They doubled up on Holmes, yet we still tried to put everything through him.

Thought this was up there as the worst of the season, our formation got pulled out of shape all over the shop. Should have pushed Best up front in a 442 or swap him.

A lofted ball into the box seems to be our downfall.

On a positive note, rescued a point from the jaws of defeat. Onward we march

What did you do to get sent to Halifax midweek? Working on the new League of Gentleman specials?
  • edited November 2017
    Leuth said:

CAFCTrev said:

We were pretty poor overall.

Despite the goal we actually decent in the first half, and I think all the attempts on goal before the crazy ending were from the first half. Trouble is they were all right at the goalie so nothing he couldnt cope with.

The second half we were far worse, endless runs down the left would finish with a Holmes cross that no one would ever get on the end of. In fact I cant remember a solid header toward goal before our goals. P'boro looked dangerous on the counter, when they got the ball back they would pop a lofted through ball which would always befuddle Sarr and lead to a possible goalscoring chance.

Great to get a result even with the poor performance, like ppl have said already, this is what happens when your a top 6 team.

Shit, they even let you out of the ticket office to watch the game sometimes? Not good enough Charlton ;)
    Its punishment for not handing out tickets fast enough!
  • LenGlover said:

PWR although a pleasant chat with @Fanny Fanackapan whilst walking away from the ground after the match might have had an influence on my views.

The game started brightly with Charlton attacking and Ricky Holmes unleashing a ferocious shot which a Posh defender headed onto the crossbar and out for a corner.

Naby Sarr then managed what I can only describe as an airshot with his head to allow Marriott the freedom of The Valley other than the yellow clad Amos who made himself big and pulled off an excellent save to save Naby's blushes. Unfortunately not long after that Peterborough were given a free kick and the movement (or lack thereof) in our defence made me think I was in Madame Tussauds rather than The Valley. 1-0 Posh and Amos quite rightly berated his defence (or lack thereof).

Charlton tried to make a comeback and Bond in the Posh goal made two very good saves from (I think) Marshall and Best although the flag went up for an infringement after the second attempt not that Bond knew that.

Peterborough then came into it more as our midfield seemed to go walkabout particularly Kashi who had probably the worst match I've seen him play since he joined. Fortunately they didn't create a great deal and we went in at half time just 1-0 down.

The second half was frustrating as we tried to push forward but were unable to work the keeper. Ricky Holmes throughout the whole match desperately tried to keep a fast tempo going which the Posh defence did not like but the likes of Kashi decided they were crabs for the night and slowed it all down with sideways passes. To make matters worse Bauer had to leave the field with what looked to me like a serious injury although he did walk (limp) having also gone down earlier and received treatment. In the meantime, just as I remarked that I couldn't see us scoring, a swift counter attack from Peterborough made it 2-0 and I thought that was that and even momentarily thought about beating the traffic something I never normally do.

Robbo then did exactly what I hoped he would and removed both Kashi, who'd been poor in my view, and Best who'd been largely anonymous but in fairness received little or no service. Aribo and Ahearne- Grant replaced them and we began to play with a little more urgency and tempo led by Duracell Holmes.

Finally we exerted a bit of sustained pressure on a wobbly defence and on the stroke of normal time J F-C was brought down in the penalty area. That man Holmes seized the responsibility and duly scored. 4 minutes added on time and some cynical timewasting by Posh including a double substitution. The referee, luckily for us, wasn't having any of it and we had time to launch some more attacks culminating in KAG getting on the end of a Naby flick for the equaliser. There was even time for one more attack which came to nothing before the final whistle went.

Big Picture 2 points dropped and an opportunity to get closer to the automatic places missed. Small picture despite an indifferent performance we managed to salvage a point when Peterborough were arguably the better side on the night. Last season we would have undoubtedly lost that match.

Delighted for KAG. Let's hope that vital point saving goal gives him the confidence that he can score at his level and he pushes on for more.

COYR

Their player was in front of him, jumped and got enough contact on the ball for it to skim over Naby's head. Not an airshot unless their player had missed it first.
  • ads said:

robroy said:

Playing Best in the hole did not work, he should have put JFC there and put Aribo in. I thought we were shocking at the back and at times it was like a hot knife through butter. They doubled up on Holmes, yet we still tried to put everything through him.

Thought this was up there as the worst of the season, our formation got pulled out of shape all over the shop. Should have pushed Best up front in a 442 or swap him.

What did you do to get sent to Halifax midweek? Working on the new League of Gentleman specials?
    Lol something like that mate. I am running a Northern Sales office up here, took the decision to do it as I could not put up with the South Eastern Trains anymore. Worked out well so far, met a very nice bird.

On a side note. I would love to pit the biggest birds from the Millers against some of the birds up here (Gangs of Yew York Style). Still not sure who would come out on top!
  • JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

PWR although a pleasant chat with @Fanny Fanackapan whilst walking away from the ground after the match might have had an influence on my views.

The game started brightly with Charlton attacking and Ricky Holmes unleashing a ferocious shot which a Posh defender headed onto the crossbar and out for a corner.

Naby Sarr then managed what I can only describe as an airshot with his head to allow Marriott the freedom of The Valley other than the yellow clad Amos who made himself big and pulled off an excellent save to save Naby's blushes. Unfortunately not long after that Peterborough were given a free kick and the movement (or lack thereof) in our defence made me think I was in Madame Tussauds rather than The Valley. 1-0 Posh and Amos quite rightly berated his defence (or lack thereof).

Charlton tried to make a comeback and Bond in the Posh goal made two very good saves from (I think) Marshall and Best although the flag went up for an infringement after the second attempt not that Bond knew that.

Peterborough then came into it more as our midfield seemed to go walkabout particularly Kashi who had probably the worst match I've seen him play since he joined. Fortunately they didn't create a great deal and we went in at half time just 1-0 down.

The second half was frustrating as we tried to push forward but were unable to work the keeper. Ricky Holmes throughout the whole match desperately tried to keep a fast tempo going which the Posh defence did not like but the likes of Kashi decided they were crabs for the night and slowed it all down with sideways passes. To make matters worse Bauer had to leave the field with what looked to me like a serious injury although he did walk (limp) having also gone down earlier and received treatment. In the meantime, just as I remarked that I couldn't see us scoring, a swift counter attack from Peterborough made it 2-0 and I thought that was that and even momentarily thought about beating the traffic something I never normally do.

Robbo then did exactly what I hoped he would and removed both Kashi, who'd been poor in my view, and Best who'd been largely anonymous but in fairness received little or no service. Aribo and Ahearne- Grant replaced them and we began to play with a little more urgency and tempo led by Duracell Holmes.

Finally we exerted a bit of sustained pressure on a wobbly defence and on the stroke of normal time J F-C was brought down in the penalty area. That man Holmes seized the responsibility and duly scored. 4 minutes added on time and some cynical timewasting by Posh including a double substitution. The referee, luckily for us, wasn't having any of it and we had time to launch some more attacks culminating in KAG getting on the end of a Naby flick for the equaliser. There was even time for one more attack which came to nothing before the final whistle went.

Big Picture 2 points dropped and an opportunity to get closer to the automatic places missed. Small picture despite an indifferent performance we managed to salvage a point when Peterborough were arguably the better side on the night. Last season we would have undoubtedly lost that match.

Delighted for KAG. Let's hope that vital point saving goal gives him the confidence that he can score at his level and he pushes on for more.

COYR

Their player was in front of him, jumped and got enough contact on the ball for it to skim over Naby's head. Not an airshot unless their player had missed it first.
    Naby's a big lad and must have obscured my view of their player from Covered End Upper then.

I'm sure you're right because an 'airshot' of that nature by a professional footballer is scarcely credible really.

It would though be typical of Naby's proven ability to display both high quality and seeming incompetence within the same match.
  • That clip picks up the sound quite well, and you can hear the frustration/boos that Holmes couldn't get the ball across earlier!
  • Something inside so strong.

canters, why do you keep saying that? its so cringeworthy.
    He's a big fan of Labi Siffre. And for one so young as well!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

COYR

Agreed. Bauer had the air shot with his foot after their bloke won the header.
  • edited November 2017

That clip picks up the sound quite well, and you can hear the frustration/boos that Holmes couldn't get the ball across earlier!
    There was a twat sat near me last night who spent the entire game abusing Holmes and wanting him taken off - fortunately this arsehole left before the end and missed our two goals.
    Hmm, sounds like someone who thought he was better than one of our midfielders a few seasons ago.
  • robroy said:

ads said:

robroy said:

Lol something like that mate. I am running a Northern Sales office up here, took the decision to do it as I could not put up with the South Eastern Trains anymore. Worked out well so far, met a very nice bird.

On a side note. I would love to pit the biggest birds from the Millers against some of the birds up here (Gangs of Yew York Style). Still not sure who would come out on top!
    Nora Batty v Pat Butcher, for the heavyweight battleax crown
  • robroy said:

ads said:

robroy said:

I guess you're hoping it's you !
  • It looks like nearly all the supporters had left before he scored but in reality, nearly everyone didn't arrive in the first place.
  • addick05 said:

Blimey where did that come from? Have seen a few games over the years like this - who remembers when we were at the Old Toolbox and played Millwall off the pitch, 2-0 up with minute or so to go - final sore? 2-2. Actually saw one Addick in tears! Seems like very lucky point but feel it's only papering over the cracks.

And nearly 3-2, they missed a good chance just before the whistle. It felt like a loss but at least I got bought drinks by the Spanners I was with in the Plume after the game.
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

The come back doesn't hide how poor we were for 90 mins.

The set up was bizarre, the pace leaden and the one tactic was pass in to Holmes and hope.

Sarr was a liability, Marshall isolated, Best didn't show much but hard to judge in such a poor performance.

Posh could have scored more and it looked like a clear pen to them near the end while JFC cleared off the line.

We went direct, got bodies forward and finally Josh was in the game and we had players running into the box.

Posh must be gutted because they were cruising but they didn't see the game out. How many times have we been on the other end of a result like that.

Motm - Jake

We are missing Clarke so much.

Official att: 9,532, with 453 from Posh. Another dismal "crowd"

So pleased for KAG, hope he kicks on.

Most of that I agree with, except that bit. Consensus, for what it's worth, is that Sarr had a good game.
    Must have missed all those headers he misdirected, the players who run passed him, the fouls fouls given away. He was poor. He wasn't the only one but he was poor.
    Not sure if you're a Valley Passer, but worth checking on the feed. If you can bear to watch that again!

His pass completion rate was very high indeed. Headers tend to be clearances, and yes they didn't always fall to us. Don't remember him giving away that many free kicks. It was, for the second match running, a Kashi foul that led to a goal.

There was a spell in the second half when a couple of players ran passed him. Their striker was very nippy. Naby is about 6'5", so it's going to happen.

Quit a few lifers have him as their MoM, so you might be out on a limb saying he was poor. [Edit: Not that many actually]
    I'd say he's just beginning to look like a Championship player or better.

I'm still looking forward to Pearce coming back however.
    I thought was better than Bauer who looked a real liability (possibly carrying an injury in mitigation)
  • This 'team' doesnt play as a team, it just tries to operate as 10 individuals and see how far up the pitch it can get. We are now getting sussed out by 'real' teams who play as a unit, maybe they have less skill, but they play together. It operates so distant from each other that there is no real cohesion, Magennis and Best , well, if you had asked me if they had played at the end of the game, then i would have had to check - this is a regular occurrence with Magennis.
    Another season of mediocrity beckons, and another season of dog shit performances.

You sir are weird sir.
    Explain why.
    please clarify your point.
    Cant explain?
    Cant, pronounced kant
    noun:

1. hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature.
    "he had no time for the cant of the priests about sin"

2. language specific to a particular group or profession and regarded with disparagement.
    "thieves' cant"

verb:

1. talk hypocritically and sanctimoniously about something.
    "if they'd stop canting about ‘honest work’ they might get somewhere"
  • Sponsored links:

• Paddy7 said:

Just a quickie on JFC...

I agree with some other comments on the player marks that he wasn't at his recent best, but such is his value now that within the last 5-10 minutes he cleared a certain goal off the line by running back beyond Amos at 0-2, then earned the penalty that dragged us back into it. In short, two major interventions, one at each end, in the dying minutes - inspiring stuff from the stand-in skipper and just what I like in a box to box midfielder.

did love his clearance. I've never seen a player do it with such nonchalance.
  • JamesSeed said:

The set up was bizarre, the pace leaden and the one tactic was pass in to Holmes and hope.

Sarr was a liability, Marshall isolated, Best didn't show much but hard to judge in such a poor performance.

Posh could have scored more and it looked like a clear pen to them near the end while JFC cleared off the line.

We went direct, got bodies forward and finally Josh was in the game and we had players running into the box.

Posh must be gutted because they were cruising but they didn't see the game out. How many times have we been on the other end of a result like that.

Motm - Jake

Most of that I agree with, except that bit. Consensus, for what it's worth, is that Sarr had a good game.
    I can't believe the praise of Sarr! He is a liability because he is so unpredictable: gives the ball away cheaply, loses his man and generally has my heart in my mouth when he gets the ball because he dwells on it in dangerous positions. Great potential, I am sure, but not convinced.
    Seems to be like Marmite on here: love or hate.
  • BBC Radio London played @LouisMend's reaction to KAG's goal before crossing over for the full-time report.

Very entertaining ...
  • edited November 2017

JamesSeed said:

Motm - Jake

I can't believe the praise of Sarr! He is a liability because he is so unpredictable: gives the ball away cheaply, loses his man and generally has my heart in my mouth when he gets the ball because he dwells on it in dangerous positions. Great potential, I am sure, but not convinced.
    Seems to be like Marmite on here: love or hate.
    With all due respect, check the score on the match scores thread. He's regularly scoring highly, as he has for yesterday's match. I don't get the liability thing at all. Are you sure you don't mean Kashi (easy mistake to make). His rash tackling has led to two goals being conceded in the last couple of games, and he might easily have conceded another penalty yesterday. Yesterday Sarr hardly gave the ball away at all, despite seeing loads of it. I think there's an element of him 'looking' like he might fall over at any moment because he's so huge?
    I think he's more peanut butter than marmite.

Naby's 1st half pass completion rate was 95% (35 out of 37).
    6 headers, 2 went astray.
  • That clip picks up the sound quite well, and you can hear the frustration/boos that Holmes couldn't get the ball across earlier!
    There was a twat sat near me last night who spent the entire game abusing Holmes and wanting him taken off - fortunately this arsehole left before the end and missed our two goals.
    The two endless moaners near me, after complaining and slagging off the team for 85 minutes missed the 2 goals as well :smile:
  • Must admit , i was gonna switch off IFollow with 10 minutes to go, we were playing so badly and not even getting close to their goal, let alone score, i just thought i couldnt take any more of this pain, and then i remembered the QPR game the previous night.
  • seth plum said:

The post match interview with Karl Robinson was a bit different to the usual rhythm of these things, and I wonder if anybody else saw it and thinks, as I do, that it had a certain manic quality to it.

Straight after a match where the team unexpectedly got out of jail with a last gasp equaliser, I expect his emotions were sky high.

• This 'team' doesnt play as a team, it just tries to operate as 10 individuals and see how far up the pitch it can get. We are now getting sussed out by 'real' teams who play as a unit, maybe they have less skill, but they play together. It operates so distant from each other that there is no real cohesion, Magennis and Best , well, if you had asked me if they had played at the end of the game, then i would have had to check - this is a regular occurrence with Magennis.
    Another season of mediocrity beckons, and another season of dog shit performances.

You sir are weird sir.
    Explain why.
    please clarify your point.
    Cant explain?
    Cant, pronounced kant
    noun:

1. hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature.
    "he had no time for the cant of the priests about sin"

2. language specific to a particular group or profession and regarded with disparagement.
    "thieves' cant"

verb:

1. talk hypocritically and sanctimoniously about something.
    "if they'd stop canting about ‘honest work’ they might get somewhere"
    Uh oh, fink we've got a new Community Support Officer who's joined the Charlton Life Grammar Police.
    Chris Wilder is a proper pain in the arse sometimes.
  • One thing I don't like is the players huddle at the end. It might seems churlish & I'm all for "team bonding" but I think it would be nice to let the fans clap the players off first rather than for us to wait around whilst KR tells them what lovely boys they are. Also, just for the players as well, as I expect they would like to see some fans still their rather than walking off to a rapidly emptying stadium - its not as if we are blessed with a full stadium in the first place.