Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2 Posh 2 - Post Match Views

1234568»

Comments

• Been lots of negative comments regarding our defending last night - well, have you seen the four goals Blackpool gifted Blackburn last night? Christ, one error per game might be acceptable but all four? This was under-11 defending at its worst.
  • One thing I don't like is the players huddle at the end. It might seems churlish & I'm all for "team bonding" but I think it would be nice to let the fans clap the players off first rather than for us to wait around whilst KR tells them what lovely boys they are. Also, just for the players as well, as I expect they would like to see some fans still their rather than walking off to a rapidly emptying stadium - its not as if we are blessed with a full stadium in the first place.

Agree - all looks a bit staged.
  • Holmes had a good game on Tuesday. Poor crossing I accept, but never hid away and terrorised poor Penny down the left flank.
  • There were some blokes behind me who kept calling for various players to be taken off - I think nearly all outfield players got them going at some point. They even carried on after we'd made all 3 subs.
  • Holmes had a good game on Tuesday. Poor crossing I accept, but never hid away and terrorised poor Penny down the left flank.

There was a bloke on the train wearing a Sheffield United coat, he had a notebook with TopCoach under his arm.

Maybe looking at Holmes again?

• Here's the Posh manager's comments and blame game:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42164096

Here's one I've picked out:
    ""The referee's cost us, he really has. There's no blame going to my players ......"

No blame going to his players? Okay ..... but maybe he should look again at the defender marking KAG for the equaliser?

If that player was doing his job and hadn't fallen asleep, no doubt Posh would have gone home with all 3 points.

• Oggy Red said:

Here's the Posh manager's comments and blame game:

""The referee's cost us, he really has. There's no blame going to my players ......"

No blame going to his players? Okay ..... but maybe he should look again at the defender marking KAG for the equaliser?

If that player was doing his job and hadn't fallen asleep, no doubt Posh would have gone home with all 3 points.

I'd blame their player who shot from 30 yards when he should have been heading for the corner flag.
  • JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

I'd blame their player who shot from 30 yards when he should have been heading for the corner flag.
    Maybe, Jimmy ..... but he wasn't their defender who switched off in his own penalty area.

Look at our equaliliser again.
    You'll see what I mean.

• Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

Oggy Red said:

Maybe, Jimmy ..... but he wasn't their defender who switched off in his own penalty area.

Look at our equaliliser again.
    You'll see what I mean.

A nod down in the box with a gaggle of players pushing and shoving is always difficult to defend. But yes he switched off I'm sure. Let's blame both of them then! Who cares anyway. It was one of those moments that'll linger long in the memory.
  • edited November 2017

BBC Radio London played @LouisMend's reaction to KAG's goal before crossing over for the full-time report.

Very entertaining ...
    Fair to say that I remained professional, as always. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

BBC Radio London played @LouisMend's reaction to KAG's goal before crossing over for the full-time report.

Very entertaining ...
    Fair to say that I remained professional, as always. :wink:
    I'll look forward to that clip being added to the end of Tuesday's highlights in tonight's Charlton Live :smiley:
  • Blimey where did that come from? Have seen a few games over the years like this - who remembers when we were at the Old Toolbox and played Millwall off the pitch, 2-0 up with minute or so to go - final sore? 2-2. Actually saw one Addick in tears!
    That game at the den is one of my most painful memories as a charlton fan .If I recall we scored our second in the 86th ![paul williams I believe.
  • JamesSeed said:

The come back doesn't hide how poor we were for 90 mins.

The set up was bizarre, the pace leaden and the one tactic was pass in to Holmes and hope.

Sarr was a liability, Marshall isolated, Best didn't show much but hard to judge in such a poor performance.

Posh could have scored more and it looked like a clear pen to them near the end while JFC cleared off the line.

We went direct, got bodies forward and finally Josh was in the game and we had players running into the box.

Posh must be gutted because they were cruising but they didn't see the game out. How many times have we been on the other end of a result like that.

Motm - Jake

We are missing Clarke so much.

Official att: 9,532, with 453 from Posh. Another dismal "crowd"

So pleased for KAG, hope he kicks on.

Most of that I agree with, except that bit. Consensus, for what it's worth, is that Sarr had a good game.
    Must have missed all those headers he misdirected, the players who run passed him, the fouls fouls given away. He was poor. He wasn't the only one but he was poor.
    It's strange but I thought Sarr's defending was poor (his passing was decent).
  • Blucher said:

A richly and wholly undeserved point but an important one in terms of both morale and maintaining a six point cushion over Posh and Pompey in 7th and 8th position respectively. That's four points we've taken from our last two Tuesday night games when, in truth, we only deserved one.

We missed Chris Solly last night and never looked comfortable defensively at any stage of the game, starting early on, with Naby misjudging the flight of the ball and Bauer letting it bounce past him, leaving their striker with a one-on-one, which he fortunately squandered. Maddison’s free kick for the first was flicked on at the near post and then allowed to bounce into our six yard box, without a Charlton challenge in sight. For the second, we were horribly exposed down the right wing and the marking when the cross came over to Marriott appeared to be completely non-existent. Despite some good moments - notably his excellent knock-down for Karlan’s equaliser- Naby did not have a good game. Indeed, as the second half wore on, we looked all over the shop defensively and a third goal for Peterborough would have been no surprise. One enforced change that did help shore us up was the introduction of Anfernee Dijksteel, who didn’t put a foot wrong. As Peterborough repeatedly tried to spring us on the break, he was exposed one-on-one on a number of occasions but won each and every one of those battles. I would like to see him deployed in central midfield at some stage but don’t suppose there’s much chance of that now, given the injuries to Bauer and Chris Solly.

We had a couple of decent attempts on goal in the first half but, in the second, we were pretty hopeless offensively and, although we worked some good positions down the left - where practically every attack was focused - our crossing was largely diabolical, including from countless corners and free kicks. Another pivotal problem was an almost complete lack of movement and penetration between the lines. We desperately missed Clarke and Fosu, especially as Kashi had a bit of a stinker and it was left to JFC to try and hold things together. Mark Marshall is, as KR has said, being overplayed out of necessity and very little came down the right side.

As for up front, Leon Best couldn’t get into the game, which is unsurprising after a year out of the game, and he and Josh got very little service. They had also never played together before and it certainly showed.

Overall, a thoroughly pedestrian and lack lustre performance offensively, apart from Da Silva and Holmes down the left, although those moves usually culminated in yet another overhit or harmlessly floated cross from Ricky. Combine that with shakiness at the back and you have a recipe for a dispiriting home defeat. Quite how that didn’t materialise must have left Peterborough and their supporters totally perplexed.

Difficult to take many positives from that performance, save for chalking up another point, Dijksteel’s second half performance and, finally, a goal for Karlan to get that monkey off his back.

Let's hope we can get some of our injured players back for the demanding set of December fixtures.

Perfect summary as always.
  • SDAddick said:

Powell won with a recognised formation, people coached to do the simple things well and a bit of extra class in the budget. We have a complicated system with diminuitive players that are easily bullied.

It's 2017, not 1987. Most if not all of the players will have played in a possession-based (in theory) 4-2-3-1 before. For many of them it was probably the preferred system growing up.
    SDA, CP's side was this division 5 years ago and at least 2 of the current squad played. How many of the sides we face set-up 4-2-3-1? Few of the ones we struggle against.
    Most top coaches think 4231 is too rigid. Only Mourinho plays it of the top 6.
  • Stig said:

My youngest son works for Joe Coral. His car is out of action at the moment so I picked him up from work last night.

Me: What things have people been betting on today?
    Him: A lot of people have been betting on Charlton.
    Me: Charlton! Why's that?
    Him: Because they are playing.
    Me: What, now?
    Him: Yes, Peterborough are beating us 1-0. [there's a little electronic sound, and he looks at his phone] Make that 2-0.

Man, how I hate you Duchatelet!

Glad we pulled it around though.

I'm not having all this 'I forgot the game was on' from someone who posts so regularly on CL.
  • Blucher said:

A richly and wholly undeserved point but an important one in terms of both morale and maintaining a six point cushion over Posh and Pompey in 7th and 8th position respectively. That's four points we've taken from our last two Tuesday night games when, in truth, we only deserved one.

We missed Chris Solly last night and never looked comfortable defensively at any stage of the game, starting early on, with Naby misjudging the flight of the ball and Bauer letting it bounce past him, leaving their striker with a one-on-one, which he fortunately squandered. Maddison’s free kick for the first was flicked on at the near post and then allowed to bounce into our six yard box, without a Charlton challenge in sight. For the second, we were horribly exposed down the right wing and the marking when the cross came over to Marriott appeared to be completely non-existent. Despite some good moments - notably his excellent knock-down for Karlan’s equaliser- Naby did not have a good game. Indeed, as the second half wore on, we looked all over the shop defensively and a third goal for Peterborough would have been no surprise. One enforced change that did help shore us up was the introduction of Anfernee Dijksteel, who didn’t put a foot wrong. As Peterborough repeatedly tried to spring us on the break, he was exposed one-on-one on a number of occasions but won each and every one of those battles. I would like to see him deployed in central midfield at some stage but don’t suppose there’s much chance of that now, given the injuries to Bauer and Chris Solly.

We had a couple of decent attempts on goal in the first half but, in the second, we were pretty hopeless offensively and, although we worked some good positions down the left - where practically every attack was focused - our crossing was largely diabolical, including from countless corners and free kicks. Another pivotal problem was an almost complete lack of movement and penetration between the lines. We desperately missed Clarke and Fosu, especially as Kashi had a bit of a stinker and it was left to JFC to try and hold things together. Mark Marshall is, as KR has said, being overplayed out of necessity and very little came down the right side.

As for up front, Leon Best couldn’t get into the game, which is unsurprising after a year out of the game, and he and Josh got very little service. They had also never played together before and it certainly showed.

Overall, a thoroughly pedestrian and lack lustre performance offensively, apart from Da Silva and Holmes down the left, although those moves usually culminated in yet another overhit or harmlessly floated cross from Ricky. Combine that with shakiness at the back and you have a recipe for a dispiriting home defeat. Quite how that didn’t materialise must have left Peterborough and their supporters totally perplexed.

Difficult to take many positives from that performance, save for chalking up another point, Dijksteel’s second half performance and, finally, a goal for Karlan to get that monkey off his back.

Let's hope we can get some of our injured players back for the demanding set of December fixtures.

Perfect summary as always

Yes, but don't really agree about Naby @Blucher .

He didn't misjudge the flight of the ball in the incident you're talking about. Take a look at the highlights and you'll see the opponent was in front of him, jumped and got enough on the ball to take it just over Naby's head. Bauer then missed the ball, allowing the one on one. I guess if you thought Naby just missed a free header it'd cloud your view of his overall performance, but he didn't.

I've watched the entire first half and it was pretty much a perfect defensive display from Sarr. 95% pass completion for one thing. Tbh, not sure if I've got the energy to check the second half, but it's worth remembering how the Posh were well set up to attack us on the break with their speedy forwards, which can be awkward if you're a giant defender. That for me is his big weakness, as it is for most defenders of his size. But on the plus side he has now got two excellent assists in the last three games. I also think some of the defensive shakiness was caused by Kashi having a poor game, and possibly by Bauer carrying a knock.

Also watching the highlights I picked up a very neat dummy by Best to set up Magennis in about the 8th minute. Had Josh not hit it straight at the keeper from 7 yards I think we'd be looking at an entirely different scenario. Peterborough wouldn't have been able to play on the break, and I think we might well have had three points in the bag. And a great boost for Best as well. I wouldn't write Besty (how many games do you need to play before they add the 'y'?) off just yet (not that you are) if he really only has played one competitive match in 12 months.

We also had the early header off the line from the Holmes shot that beat the keeper. That looked like a goal all the way until the defender just got enough on it to clear it via the crossbar. Again, that goal might have made a huge difference to the pattern of the game.

Totally agree about the second half, and Holmes's crossing. Although Holmes regularly beat his man (or won a corner), not one of his crosses led to anything at all. At a higher level the winger might cross the ball from maybe 60 % of those positions, the rest of the time he might dummy the cross and cut back inside, setting someone else up with a pass. It's notable on the highlights that once Ricky is bombing up the wing none of our players are expecting anything other than a cross, no-one's looking for the short pass, because they know they won't get one. And Ricky never looks like trying the cutback, which makes thing much easier for their defense.

In fact I've been moaning away for some time that our final pass has been pretty rubbish in the last ten games or so. Perhaps we miss Clarke for his play around the edge of the box. But at the moment it's either feed Ricky for a run down the wing, or hoof it up for Josh, and that isn't working very well.

• Personally feel Bauer is more accident prone than Sarr who is better on the ball. My main criticism of Sarr is he takes a little too much time sometimes.
  • edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Blucher said:

He didn't misjudge the flight of the ball in the incident you're talking about. Take a look at the highlights and you'll see the opponent was in front of him, jumped and got enough on the ball to take it just over Naby's head. Bauer then missed the ball, allowing the one on one. I guess if you thought Naby just missed a free header it'd cloud your view of his overall performance, but he didn't.

I've watched the entire first half and it was pretty much a perfect defensive display from Sarr. 95% pass completion for one thing. Tbh, not sure if I've got the energy to check the second half, but it's worth remembering how the Posh were well set up to attack us on the break with their speedy forwards, which can be awkward if you're a giant defender. That for me is his big weakness, as it is for most defenders of his size. But on the plus side he has now got two excellent assists in the last three games. I also think some of the defensive shakiness was caused by Kashi having a poor game, and possibly by Bauer carrying a knock.

Also watching the highlights I picked up a very neat dummy by Best to set up Magennis in about the 8th minute. Had Josh not hit it straight at the keeper from 7 yards I think we'd be looking at an entirely different scenario. Peterborough wouldn't have been able to play on the break, and I think we might well have had three points in the bag. And a great boost for Best as well. I wouldn't write Besty (how many games do you need to play before they add the 'y'?) off just yet (not that you are) if he really only has played one competitive match in 12 months.

We also had the early header off the line from the Holmes shot that beat the keeper. That looked like a goal all the way until the defender just got enough on it to clear it via the crossbar. Again, that goal might have made a huge difference to the pattern of the game.

Totally agree about the second half, and Holmes's crossing. Although Holmes regularly beat his man (or won a corner), not one of his crosses led to anything at all. At a higher level the winger might cross the ball from maybe 60 % of those positions, the rest of the time he might dummy the cross and cut back inside, setting someone else up with a pass. It's notable on the highlights that once Ricky is bombing up the wing none of our players are expecting anything other than a cross, no-one's looking for the short pass, because they know they won't get one. And Ricky never looks like trying the cutback, which makes thing much easier for their defense.

In fact I've been moaning away for some time that our final pass has been pretty rubbish in the last ten games or so. Perhaps we miss Clarke for his play around the edge of the box. But at the moment it's either feed Ricky for a run down the wing, or hoof it up for Josh, and that isn't working very well.

Having rewatched the entire match (never again!) I'd just add that Best(y) was sightly lucky to set up Josh. He dummied the shot sure enough, but tried to tee himself up rather than Josh.
    Sarr was a bit wobbly in the second half, but I still think ok overall.

Not that anyone's reading this thread any more!
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Blucher said:

Having rewatched the entire match (never again!) I'd just add that Best(y) was sightly lucky to set up Josh. He dummied the shot sure enough, but tried to tee himself up rather than Josh.
    Sarr was a bit wobbly in the second half, but I still think ok overall.

Not that anyone's reading this thread any more!
    The fascination of 'Post Match Views' for me is the different way we all see it in real time and why, despite derision from some, I and others 'PWR.'

I (and others too) was convinced Naby had made an 'air header' but you were able to correct that impression.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks @JamesSeed - I stand corrected, you are quite right about the opponent getting to the ball before Naby and flicking it on for the chance which Marriott squandered. The real problem was Bauer's misjudgment of the bouncing ball - plus some good play by Peterborough à la Toshack and Keegan...or the League 1 equivalent.

Not an easy game to watch again - I fast-forwarded to the incident - and you're a better man than me for watching it all the way through, although I guess that's what managers and coaches do all the time.
  • Blucher said:

Thanks @JamesSeed - I stand corrected, you are quite right about the opponent getting to the ball before Naby and flicking it on for the chance which Marriott squandered. The real problem was Bauer's misjudgment of the bouncing ball - plus some good play by Peterborough à la Toshack and Keegan...or the League 1 equivalent.

Not an easy game to watch again - I fast-forwarded to the incident - and you're a better man than me for watching it all the way through, although I guess that's what managers and coaches do all the time.

It's the first time I've watch an entire match replayed, and I was quite surprised how much I missed watching the first time round. I've just retired, so have time to watch in between DIY jobs, shopping, cooking for the kids etc etc (in case Mrs D is watching).

I've never seen more runs down the wing and crosses (or corners won) in one game. And as you said, all in vain. The crosses weren't great and they had a very tall number 5 when got his head to most of them. In fact I don't think we had a single on target header.