Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

South London World Cup of Pubs

Comments

• Further to my earlier comment re The Dacre Arms in Blackheath - I visited this evening, as I do after every evening game.
    For those who knew and loved it, this pub was an institution in this part of SE London. No more.
    Since the passing of the venerable owner some 2 years ago, this pub has gone downhill quicker than our beloved football club.
    The beer is shit and is getting worse with every visit. The current staff are not trained in changing a barrel, so half the beers are off on a regular basis.
    Unsurprisingly, two thirds of the old clientele have disappeared leaving the place a soulless old shell.
    Don't bother visiting. Along with our club it is in the hands of people who don't give a shit.

so when was the Dacre towed to Blackheath ? .. when we lived around the corner in Quentin Road SE13, and my old granddad ran the Christmas savings club in that pub, the Dacre Arms was in Lee SE12 and not the supposedly posher SE3
  • Further to my earlier comment re The Dacre Arms in Blackheath - I visited this evening, as I do after every evening game.
    For those who knew and loved it, this pub was an institution in this part of SE London. No more.
    Since the passing of the venerable owner some 2 years ago, this pub has gone downhill quicker than our beloved football club.
    The beer is shit and is getting worse with every visit. The current staff are not trained in changing a barrel, so half the beers are off on a regular basis.
    Unsurprisingly, two thirds of the old clientele have disappeared leaving the place a soulless old shell.
    Don't bother visiting. Along with our club it is in the hands of people who don't give a shit.

so when was the Dacre towed to Blackheath ? .. when we lived around the corner in Quentin Road SE13, and my old granddad ran the Christmas savings club in that pub, the Dacre Arms was in Lee SE12 and not the supposedly posher SE3
    It's a fair cop - technically it's Lee not Blackheath.
    However, if you got off at Lee Station and me at Blackheath, I reckon I'd be finishing my first pint when you walk in.

It's a fair cop - technically it's Lee not Blackheath.
    However, if you got off at Lee Station and me at Blackheath, I reckon I'd be finishing my first pint when you walk in.
    lol .. as the Duke of Wellington would have it .. it'd be a close run thing and age/fitness would play a major role ((:>)
  • The White Swan in Charlton Village is being run by the same team who run The Pelton Arms, and the Swan is easily the most improved pub in the last three months!
  • I popped into the Abbey Arms in Abbey Wood after a Charlton game in 1978 with a mate for a quick pint before returning home. Before we’d finished the whole place erupted into a cowboy style brawl. Tables overturned, chairs thrown, glasses smashed and to add a bit of class the guy on the piano started playing ‘Two lovely Black Eyes.’

I don’t know what its like now, but it seems things hadn’t improved much in 2011
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/latest/9348952.Review_of_The_Abbey_Arms__Wilton_Road__Abbey_Wood/
  • pickwick said:

The White Swan in Charlton Village is being run by the same team who run The Pelton Arms, and the Swan is easily the most improved pub in the last three months!

Absolutely. Amazing how they've turned it around.

I popped into the Abbey Arms in Abbey Wood after a Charlton game in 1978 with a mate for a quick pint before returning home. Before we’d finished the whole place erupted into a cowboy style brawl. Tables overturned, chairs thrown, glasses smashed and to add a bit of class the guy on the piano started playing ‘Two lovely Black Eyes.’

I don’t know what its like now, but it seems things hadn’t improved much in 2011
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/leisure/latest/9348952.Review_of_The_Abbey_Arms__Wilton_Road__Abbey_Wood/

Outstanding story. I went in there about a year ago, but I didn't know what it was called as there was no sign. It was much as described in PubSpy though the beer garden was a pleasant surprise.
  • pickwick said:

The White Swan in Charlton Village is being run by the same team who run The Pelton Arms, and the Swan is easily the most improved pub in the last three months!

A friend of mine (yes, I do have them) went in the day of the Leeds game, he said he was very impressed with it.

That's sad, was a good pub and went in there fairly regularly when we lived in SE London (mother in law lives a 5 minute walk away) though haven't been in there for a couple of years...I once got bit (only a nip leaving a small scratch) by Scotty.

That's a lovely road (Quentin) always walk back down there whenever we go out in Blackheath or Greenwich.

That's a lovely road (Quentin) always walk back down there whenever we go out in Blackheath or Greenwich.
    It's been heavily gentrified .. my family (originally grandparents) lived there from about 1941, moved out and sold up in 1975, I had moved out for the last time in 1971 ... IF they were selling up today .. around £1,000,000 + is the going rate I believe .. the lovely old trees were all removed in the 60s as they were pushing up the paving slabs, and were replaced by saplings, the now mature trees which make the street so attractive .. on my now rare forays into The Smoke, I usually take a nostalgic walk down Quentin
    .. as I wrote above, the Dacre Arms was my granddads' local and he ran the Christmas club there for many years
  • Sponsored links:

It's been heavily gentrified .. my family (originally grandparents) lived there from about 1941, moved out and sold up in 1975, I had moved out for the last time in 1971 ... IF they were selling up today .. around £1,000,000 + is the going rate I believe .. the lovely old trees were all removed in the 60s as they were pushing up the paving slabs, and were replaced by saplings, the now mature trees which make the street so attractive .. on my now rare forays into The Smoke, I usually take a nostalgic walk down Quentin
    .. as I wrote above, the Dacre Arms was my granddads' local and he ran the Christmas club there for many years
    Such a shame that the Dacre has gone down hill was a lovely pub, agree that Quentin road has been gentrified and a million pound I'd guess would be the going rate...have you seen some of the cars parked down there?

Such a shame that the Dacre has gone down hill was a lovely pub, agree that Quentin road has been gentrified and a million pound I'd guess would be the going rate...have you seen some of the cars parked down there?
    when I were a lad, when times was 'ard (oh do shut t f up) when everything was saved for, from fitted carpets to fridges, to washing machines, to TVs, when central heating was a paraffin stove int middle of room .. seriously, my dad's car, the first of which he bought in around 1960 was one of about three that were ever parked in the whole of the long street (except we had the only car port in the street) .. in those days people just did not own cars .. amusing to see that there are now designated parking areas for residents .. AND of course, myself and the few friends of my age who lived nearby had many a game of football and cricket in the street .. ahhhh .. I'm coming over all soft and nostalgic and fuzzy ((:>)
  • A little strange that The Dog & Bell, Watergate Street, Deptford, wasn't in the line-up. Perhaps it was thought superior to all other opposition and thus was not included.
    Anyway, of the sixteen in the draw, it's The Blythe Hill Tavern for me.

That's a good pub Anna....went in there before the infamous 4-0 defeat at the Toolbox.
  • Final minutes of the semi-final - Pelton Arms v Blythe Hill Tavern and it's neck and neck:

https://twitter.com/deserterblog

• edited December 2017
    Can't find a Long Pond thread but found this one... if you're on Twitter, vote Long Pond!

• Done.
    It’s very close.
  • Also done.

Long Pond narrowly in the lead when I did it but Railway Bell coming up fast on the rails just in the short time it took to lodge a vote.
  • Old Kings Head
  • What round did the Antigallican get knocked out in?

I nearly got knocked out in there
  • Railway Bell is only a mile and a half or so from where I live but I'd never even heard of it until now. Not a massive fan of Youngs pubs but will have to give it a try.
  • Sponsored links:

• Beer Rebellion Peckham doing well!

Need some more for the Long Pond
  • LenGlover said:

Beer Rebellion Peckham doing well!

Beer Rebellion leading (and I've heard it's very good), but I've voted for The Long Pond :smile:
  • shirty5 said:

Old Kings Head

Is that in Walworth Road?
  • shirty5 said:

Old Kings Head

Hidden down an alley way at the London Bridge end of Borough High Street.
  • A little strange that The Dog & Bell, Watergate Street, Deptford, wasn't in the line-up. Perhaps it was thought superior to all other opposition and thus was not included.
    Anyway, of the sixteen in the draw, it's The Blythe Hill Tavern for me.

@Anna_Kissed I heartily agree with you on both points.

Re The Dog & Bell, we lived in Greenwich and wanted to get married at St Nick's over the road from the pub so the landlord kindly let us use the Dog as our address. He's still running the place all these years later and to my shame I can't remember his name.
  • Jints said:

Railway Bell is only a mile and a half or so from where I live but I'd never even heard of it until now. Not a massive fan of Youngs pubs but will have to give it a try.

I've given up on Youngs pubs now they've stopped having any interest in the beer, it being produced by a brewery owned entirely by Charles Wells.
  • MrLargo said:

shirty5 said:

Old Kings Head

Hidden down an alley way at the London Bridge end of Borough High Street.
    Thanks.
  • addickson said:

LenGlover said:

Beer Rebellion Peckham doing well!

Beer Rebellion leading (and I've heard it's very good), but I've voted for The Long Pond :smile:
    I live in Peckham now, Beer Rebellion is good but probably not even in the top 10 pubs in Peckham. Plus every pub in Peckham is a bit poncy now anyway.