Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums: The Final - Revolver vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

We started with around 200 albums before the knock out rounds commenced and are left with two titles, which happen to be by the same artist.

Album 1: Revolver
Artist: The Beatles
Release Year: 1966

Track Listing:

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Love You To
5. Here, There and Everywhere
6. Yellow Submarine
7. She Said She Said
8. Good Day Sunshine
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
11. Doctor Robert
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Got To Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Listen here: https://open.spotify.com/album/0PYyrqs9NXtxPhf0CZkq2L

Road to the final

R16: 28 - 9 Pet Sounds
QF: 35 - 31 The Dark Side of the Moon
SF: 42 - 17 Bridge Over Troubled Water

Album 2: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Artist: The Beatles
Release Year: 1967

Track Listing:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With a Little Help from My Friends
3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing a Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day in the Life

Listen here: https://open.spotify.com/album/1PULmKbHeOqlkIwcDMNwD4

Road to the final

R16: 26 - 21 Stone Roses
QF: 35 - 26 Blood on the Tracks
SF: 36 - 15 Nevermind

So, vote away. As always, there are Spotify links if anyone wants to listen to the albums/

Will close voting and announce the winner on Boxing Day. A very Happy Christmas to all of you and your families.

Comments

• #NeverForget
  • edited December 2017
    Don’t really care. I abstain. However, I’ve enjoyed this series a lot, @addick in sw16
  • Neither are my favourite Beatles album. I prefer Let It Be and Abbey Road to both of these choices.

I'd pick Revolver over Pepper in this contest.
  • Revolver pisses on pepper, the emperor's new clothes as an album. Pepper needed to happen, it was like a concept car, but revolver delivered.

Neither as good as stone roses but "will of the people" etc.

Dylan can't sing.
  • This feels like two English sides playing each other in a Champions League final...

Of the two I'd choose Revolver, as I think the songs are stronger
  • Revolver.......just.
  • Revolver because, as the wife says, if nothing else it has "tomorrow never knows".
  • Sponsored links:

• Revolver for me as it was more quintessentially Beatles at its glorious best.
  • Revolver
  • They are my two favourite Beatles albums and they're both excellent, though probably neither in my personal top twenty.

I can't choose between them, I'm afraid. A draw.
  • Thanks for running this Addict In SW16.
    A very Happy Christmas to you and your family.
    I would have loved to see Joni and Bob in the final.
    Pepper
  • Revolver. Too much filler on Pepper.
  • Revolver - they had a harder run overall to the final and deserve to lift the trophy.
  • Revolver for me too.
  • And well done @Addick in SW16 for running this.

Far too much football on this music site so good to get back to what Charlton Life should be about.
  • The release of any Beatles album would cause a stir back in the day, but the pure reaction to Peppers was off scale. Many of the techniques and ideas on the album were radical and groundbreaking, although I guess a modern listener may perceive the effects as old hat or maybe a bit corny.

For my part I loved Peppers. I loved the opening, with the title track emerging from the atmospheric hub hub of a crowd scene, with the distant accordion playing - to the startling orchestral crescendo on the closing track. In between there was plenty to keep the listener amused with a plethora of different musical instruments, piano effects and George Martin’s manipulation of magnetic tape. Don’t get me wrong here, I enjoyed the music too!

Oh, did I mention that my vote goes to Peppers?

P.S. I recall in an earlier round advising someone who named the horse incorrectly on For the Benefit of Mr Kite. The name on the album is of course Henry. However, had John Lennon stuck to the original inspiration (namely the poster below) it would have been Zanthus.
  • Loved Revolver - but Sgt Pepper's was innovative, ahead of it's time and quite brave.
    Has to be SPLHCB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Revolver is better.
    Also I have a first day, first pressing in my collection*

*strolls away smugly.
  • Revolver.
  • It’s a tough one. I love Joni with a passion and feel almost unclean is concluding that the winner is Bobby with Blood on the Tracks.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe far, far away.

Revolver is an amazing piece of work with some of the finest tracks ever recorded - Eleanor Rigby - Here, There and Everywhere - Tomorrow Never Knows are the stand outs.

However, the most influential album by the most important and influential band in the history of popular music takes some shifting from the top. For ‘A Day in the Life’ alone it has to be Pepper.
  • The release of any Beatles album would cause a stir back in the day, but the pure reaction to Peppers was off scale. Many of the techniques and ideas on the album were radical and groundbreaking, although I guess a modern listener may perceive the effects as old hat or maybe a bit corny.

For my part I loved Peppers. I loved the opening, with the title track emerging from the atmospheric hub hub of a crowd scene, with the distant accordion playing - to the startling orchestral crescendo on the closing track. In between there was plenty to keep the listener amused with a plethora of different musical instruments, piano effects and George Martin’s manipulation of magnetic tape. Don’t get me wrong here, I enjoyed the music too!

Oh, did I mention that my vote goes to Peppers?

P.S. I recall in an earlier round advising someone who named the horse incorrectly on For the Benefit of Mr Kite. The name on the album is of course Henry. However, had John Lennon stuck to the original inspiration (namely the poster below) it would have been Zanthus.

That’s interesting, never seen that before, thanks for posting.
  • Revolver.
  • Listened again to the whole Revolver album driving home recently, I found myself wanting to skip tracks. Then listened to SPLHCB and my finger was never tempted to hover over skippy, so my vote goes to the Sarge.
  • edited December 2017
    My sister was given Beatles for Sale for Christmas '64 when I was eight. Looking back, it was a pretty poor album by their standards, but nonetheless we were always playing it in the front room in New Street Hill. Don't think Jimmy Seed was impressed. Jenni left it out of its sleeve, and it warped in the sun, which didn't help of course. If the Beatles hadn't upped their game they'd now be a footnote in rock and roll history.

When Revolver came out I was nine. My sister didn't buy it, and I only heard the whole album probably as late as the early nineties. I think Jenni must have had Peppers as it feels like I've always known it.

The Beatles were keen on offering value for money, so sessions would produce singles that were then left off the albums.

Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever would have greatly strengthened Peppers.

But Revolver of course could have included Paperback Writer & Rain which were recorded at the same sessions. Worth checking out the 'videos' of Paperback Writer & Rain on YouTube. The films were shot at Chiswick House, in May '66. (I think they looked at their coolest in early/mid '66. There was something of Dylan or The Byrds in the way they dressed.)
    Rain is one of my favourite Beatles tunes, but I didn't hear it until the mid nineties when I bought a jukebox set of Beatles singles on coloured vinyl. I was many years before it even made it to CD. It has made it to CD hasn't it?

So after all that nonsense, it's Revolver for me.

PS Jenni just told me that our grandfather never missed Dixon of Dock Green. (Always happy to provide insights like this lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvkICbTZIQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA

(The Chiswick House Rain seems to have disappeared from YouTube)