Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan v Charlton | Fri 29 Dec | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Wigan Athletic v Charlton Athletic
Friday 29th December 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)

Introduction

It’s amazing how quickly fortunes can change within Football… Slightly over a month ago the Addicks were sitting in third position, and as one of the form teams in the Division, were the side most likely to break into the automatic spots. Fast forward to the end of December though and it’s a mess. No wins in seven have seen Charlton slipping out of the Play-Offs, that takeover had better happen soon else we could be doomed to endure another season in League One.

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic | Manager: Paul Cook
Ground: DW Stadium

As we enter the last game of 2017 it’s probably fitting that we end it in the picturesque seaside town of Wigan… For fans making the trip up the M6 who need to be entertained prior to kick-off, there is always the world famous pier with its stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean. In terms of Football though we’re probably facing the League Champions this evening… After winning the Division two years ago; Wigan made an instant return to this level, that looks to be short lived with the Latics surely yo-yoing once more back into the Championship for another attempt in the second tier next season.

When Wigan visited the Valley in September it was certainly a clash of the titans at this level… Charlton were undefeated in four matches and looked strong, whilst our opponents had just lost to the surprise package this season that are Shrewsbury Town – Sadly though when the match begun it was quite clear that Wigan were a level above ourselves, Jake Forster-Caskey hit the crossbar with an early effort which could have changed the match yet ultimately, those who saw the game could have little to complain about.

I guess the warning signs were already there, showing this wouldn’t be like our title winning year!!

Charlton Team News
Two questions certainly have to be asked ahead of tonight’s game… (1) Why is there a revolving door of injuries at the moment and (2) How many players will be on the bench for this evening’s game!!

Tackling the first question it seems as though Ricky Holmes (who returned against Southend) is now injured again with yet another muscle issue, failing to make the Boxing Day clash and no doubt missing tonight is winger: Mark Marshall who has struggled to impress this season, he was replaced in the line up by Karlan Ahearne-Grant who despite having his doubters this season was one of the more impressive players… One player potentially able to return this evening is Patrick Bauer, the defender has potentially been Player of the Year for us this season and with the Belgians likely to leave, is one of the view positive signings from their regime.

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Lennon | Dasilva
Konsa | Aribo
Ahearne-Grant | Reeves | Magennis
Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Jackson | Lapslie | Dodoo | Kashi

Prediction
Any form of result will be a positive one… Whilst in a horrible run of form the last thing you want to deal with is the league leaders and that is exactly what we have to do – With so many injuries its impossible to create a settled first eleven, something that Karl Robinson must be struggling to handle… With new owners on the horizon you have to wonder how long our scouse manager has though.

Comments

• Loving the description of the Pier!
  • N01R4M said:

Loving the description of the Pier!

Its a joke with my Dad that whenever Wigan gets mentioned, the pier has to be mentioned too so felt I had to add it in there
  • We must have other players on the bench; it's even worth putting a third goalie on it just on case one gets injured and the other sent off! Can Bowyer be named? Some of the u23's surely (Mascoll, Barnes, Maloney, Carter, Anderson, Sarpong-Wiredu, Doughty)????

I'm hoping for a post-Katrien bounce, but expecting a sound 5-0 thrashing.
  • A sense of humour may be needed by travelling Addicks - I see "whistling" Kettle is officiating!
  • Why no Holmes in the team? Is he injured again?!
  • Oh dear. Well at least we will be able to celebrate KM leaving

Indeed as she's still working her notice, perhaps we should put her on the bench tonight!
  • Snow here in West Yorkshire, apparently none in Wigan. M1 southbound closed at the moment due to an accident.
  • 0-1 away win. Henry Hackett-Fairchild Irving with the winner.
  • A cloud has been lifted..

0-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Our heaviest defeat of 2017............Roll on the New Year!
  • Sadly I can only see a defeat, I hope its not a - whats left of our moral-sapping one!!. Still the hardy souls travelling will be able to discuss the future now we know that KM goes in 2 days and RD is looking to get out!! Perhaps whilst doing a conga? 2-0 Wigan
  • Expect nothing, but a beating.

Having said that i think we would struggle even with a fully fit squad to select from. So given that we would struggle just about anywhere right now it is probably best to be playing a team nailed on to beat us anyway.

Cue the 0-1 away day mugging.
  • Neither Holmes or Kashi were mentioned in the OS 'injury update' so would be surprised if they weren't involved in some way.
  • edited December 2017
    Not sure the departure of KM will inspire the players in the same way as it has for us fans. I fear a Hull style debacle. Laundry baskets at the ready.
  • Neither Holmes or Kashi were mentioned in the OS 'injury update' so would be surprised if they weren't involved in some way.

Completely forgot about Kashi...

I'd be surprised if he didnt start but added him to bench purely because he was hauled off at Half-Time on Boxing Day
  • If a fight back does occur it will start against Gillingham not Wigan.
    We are nowhere near strong enough to get anything tonight.
    3.0 Wigan
  • Excellent preview as always. I’d almost forgotten this was happening amid yesterday’s euphoria but reality beckons and if we do play the suggested team I suspect this will be a cricket score. Hard to see what other team we could play given the injuries. And I suspect Karl’s mind may we’ll be ion other things. If Wigan turn up I honestly think this could be seven or eight. I’d normally be depressed at the prospect but hey, Meire’s gone. Happy days.
  • 3-0 at best but I suspect a trouncing.
    5-0
  • We're going to see 8 goals... I hope at least 4 are in our favour.

Will Sarr be in the team following the loss (from the club) of his play thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• One player potentially able to return this evening is Patrick Bauer, the defender has potentially been Player of the Year for us this season
    Really? Missed this on my initial reading.
  • Dazzler21 said:

One player potentially able to return this evening is Patrick Bauer, the defender has potentially been Player of the Year for us this season
    Really? Missed this on my initial reading.

Querying the Player of the Year comment? - If so I think he has been one of our better players and his name was mentioned as POTY in another thread the other day so took it from there
  • edited December 2017

Amos
    Reeves | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie
    Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Jackson | Kashi | Dodoo | Magennis

Go young, let these players know that there is no pressure on them for this one. Whatever the result is they benefit from being started against a strong side.

These should be fitter, hungrier and more committed players to those we have been putting out lately.

If we're still in it with 20 to play bring Magennis, Dodoo & Sarr on for Reeco, Reeves and Lennon respectively to avoid injuries to those players.

Normally none of the above would even be a consideration, but I feel we have no choice at the moment but to try the youth and try something new...
  • I can see nothing but a heavy defeat. 5-0
  • edited December 2017
    The laundry basket week is so ingrained in my memory that it actually panned out as follows; 1) Saturday cup defeat to bottom of the league below Colchester 2-1 in the cup, Fraye believed to have left in a laundry basket. 2) Tuesday, lost 0-5 at Huddersfield with ten 10 men at the end thanks to Reza lasting 10 mins as a sub with Henderson sent out to face the music / press. 3) Saturday Fraye replaced by Rega, on loan Rhys Williams emulating a subuteo CB player at Hull 0-6.

A recurring nightmare of a week P3 L3 F 1 A13, so the draw against Blackpool last Saturday and two goals to our credit means it can't be quite as bad unless Wigan top their 7 at Oxford.............they won't will they? :open_mouth:
  • I can see a heavy defeat. 5-0
  • Dazzler21 said:

Amos
    Reeves | Konsa | Aribo | Lapslie
    Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Jackson | Kashi | Dodoo | Magennis

Go young, let these players know that there is no pressure on them for this one. Whatever the result is they benefit from being started against a strong side.

These should be fitter, hungrier and more committed players to those we have been putting out lately.

If we're still in it with 20 to play bring Magennis, Dodoo & Sarr on for Reeco, Reeves and Lennon respectively to avoid injuries to those players.

Normally none of the above would even be a consideration, but I feel we have no choice at the moment but to try the youth and try something new...
    Hate to say it but wouldnt start Lapslie, was a deer in the headlights against Blackpool

He'll be a good player but playing him against Wigan would damage him I think
  • edited December 2017
    There"a 13 players in your starting line up @Dazzler21 ........... Ah, as you were 2 x double barrelled names :blush:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!