Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OMD

I was back in the UK for the Truro game, and one of the old friends I failed to catch up with gave the excuse he was going to see OMD live so wouldn't be out. I checked Ticketmaster and found - Heyyy!!! - they were playing Barcelona on feb 14th. After a bit of a battle, I convinced the missus they were the ideal Valentines night out, and considering her last two offers involved seeing 'Fifty Shades of Gray', my one cannot be worse.
So anyway, anyone seen them lately? I was a huge fan back in the eighties but that was a while ago. Any heads up on how much of the 'early stuff' still comes out? Can I expect to hear Electricity and Maid of Orleans? Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has seen them in the last few years.

Comments

• I haven't seen them, but I know they played the whole of Architecture and Morality at the Albert Hall recently, so I'd expect a fair bit of that.
  • I saw them twice last year and also the Royal albert Hall , My favourite group , you wont be disappointed , McCluskey is a great front man and engages the audience well, all the hits are played along with the new stuff , last years album "The Punishment Of Luxury " is a great Album , and in my opinion up there with the early stuff , I'm looking at going to see them at Canterbury Cricket ground in the summer also .
  • I've seen them in Duesseldorf in December. It was my first OMD gig and I really enjoyed it. Maid of Orleans and Electricity were on the setlist, so now chance for disappointment.
  • Wow I didn't know that they were still going. What a great group with some real iconic turns, such as Joan of Arc, Enola Gay
  • Not my bag Ken but my brother in law saw them recently and said they were awesome. He’s not a big fan and went along with a mate who is but said he would happily go again. Much “louder” than on record and a very busy light show we’re two of his comments. All the old favourites are included. Some stuff on YouTube I believe.
  • I saw them a *lot* in the 80s (hmmm, does my username give that away?) and have seen them more recently. Yes, do play their old stuff, as well as some of their newer tracks which are actually both quite good and 'still sound like them'. They are quite expensive, which is why I've not been to see them on the last couple of tours, as there was nothing 'extra', you're just paying double-normal-gig-ticket price for nostalgia.
  • Good to hear they are still doing Architecture - looks like I'll have to catch up on the unishment of Luxury álbum.
  • TeslaGirl said:

I saw them a *lot* in the 80s (hmmm, does my username give that away?) and have seen them more recently. Yes, do play their old stuff, as well as some of their newer tracks which are actually both quite good and 'still sound like them'. They are quite expensive, which is why I've not been to see them on the last couple of tours, as there was nothing 'extra', you're just paying double-normal-gig-ticket price for nostalgia.

I might be a bit biased but they are more than a Retro group with 3 highly rated Albums in the last 6 years , sure they play some of the old stuff when they do the festival circuit's , but they are more relevant now than say the Human League who relies purely on their past catalogue with nothing new to offer , OMD are still pushing their musical boundaries and some of the new stuff is getting great reviews , the last album made number 4 in the UK charts , their best position in 25 years .
  • Would echo @fadgadget their recent stuff stands up really well to the music they were producing in the 80's and they are still pushing themselves and innovating rather than solely relying on their back catalogue to fill venues. They tour a lot off the back of the 3 albums released in the last 5/6 years so are very polished.

Last saw them in 2013 on their English Electric tour at the Roundhouse when supported by John Foxx and they were great producing a varied set of new album material and staple classics (back to Electricity/Messages/Maid of Oreleans) and I would imagine they still apply the same formula on the current tour.

Definitely catch up on Punishment of Luxury you shouldn't be disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• fadgadget said:

TeslaGirl said:

I saw them a *lot* in the 80s (hmmm, does my username give that away?) and have seen them more recently. Yes, do play their old stuff, as well as some of their newer tracks which are actually both quite good and 'still sound like them'. They are quite expensive, which is why I've not been to see them on the last couple of tours, as there was nothing 'extra', you're just paying double-normal-gig-ticket price for nostalgia.

I might be a bit biased but they are more than a Retro group with 3 highly rated Albums in the last 6 years , sure they play some of the old stuff when they do the festival circuit's , but they are more relevant now than say the Human League who relies purely on their past catalogue with nothing new to offer , OMD are still pushing their musical boundaries and some of the new stuff is getting great reviews , the last album made number 4 in the UK charts , their best position in 25 years .
    You're not being biased mate. You're just showing that you have a good knowledge of music.
    It's no different with Depeche. Firstly, most people don't realise that they have never stopped recording/touring (let alone finished completely!). Secondly, most people can't see/hear beyond the really early teeny bop stuff.

Biggest grossing bands/artists of 2017:

See the top 10 below, and check out the full 100 here.
    $151.5million – Guns N' Roses.
    $118.1million – U2.
    $98.2million – Justin Bieber.
    $88million – Metallica.
    $68.2million – Depeche Mode.
    $60.5million – Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    $59million – Adele.
    $57.2million – Ed Sheeran.
  • Yep Mode are a bunk of freaks , gods knows how they fit their lives in around their perpetual touring , release Album , tour the world with it , release another album and repeat ! its been like this for the last 30 odd years .
    A lot of people also don't realise these are stadium tours not some 5 thousand capacity venues .

• fadgadget said:

Yep Mode are a bunk of freaks , gods knows how they fit their lives in around their perpetual touring , release Album , tour the world with it , release another album and repeat ! its been like this for the last 30 odd years .
    A lot of people also don't realise these are stadium tours not some 5 thousand capacity venues .

DM are great, first saw them in 82, Brighton Dome !!! Seen them 13 times now, great band, very underestimated in the UK.

• edited January 2018
    Saw Mode at 02 in 2016 Dave Gahan is one of the best front men in the business . They are up there with the biggest stars like U2 and the Stones , but are unnoticed by many.
  • I'd say Depeche are in a completely different category to OMD in that they've never stopped or had years in the wilderness, or done "retro" tours/concerts. They've consistently put at new albums and done world tours for 35 years now, which is amazing really. The Pet Shop Boys are another band from the 80s who've had amazing longevity as well, and still putting out decent new material
  • For me Mode have gone in a different direction from OMD /Pet shop boys , they are more of a Rock Synth band now .
    There is a lot of discussion over there last 3 albums which has split their fan base , I saw them at wet spams ground last year and it was a great experience ( I have been a fan since the Bridgehouse days 1980) but their sound now is a acquired taste ......... still buy all their stuff though.
  • edited January 2018

I was back in the UK for the Truro game, and one of the old friends I failed to catch up with gave the excuse he was going to see OMD live so wouldn't be out. I checked Ticketmaster and found - Heyyy!!! - they were playing Barcelona on feb 14th. After a bit of a battle, I convinced the missus they were the ideal Valentines night out, and considering her last two offers involved seeing 'Fifty Shades of Gray', my one cannot be worse.
    So anyway, anyone seen them lately? I was a huge fan back in the eighties but that was a while ago. Any heads up on how much of the 'early stuff' still comes out? Can I expect to hear Electricity and Maid of Orleans? Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has seen them in the last few years.

Are they playing in Razzmatazz?

I saw Editors there a couple of years back.

Proper grimy, sweaty sort of place in a basement. Bogs are shocking.....

I really liked it - but don’t try and walk from city centre like I did.....it’s further than it looks.
  • edited January 2018
    If you like Mode , have a listen to these , they've been around for over 20 years , from Bristol , unknown in the Uk but Europe they are massive .
    https://youtu.be/0KVviRTBvWw
  • OMD are my favourite band. Saw them loads in the 80s and more recent headlining the Rewind Festival
    They haven't lost it one bit
  • Sponsored links:

• There is someone at work called Finola Hayes. Every time I hear her name I start singing that OMD song.

Haha this made me laugh!! I would do the same thing and tell she should have stayed at home yesterday!!!!!
  • I don't know who OMD are, but to be fair to your SO, there is a new Fifty Shades movie coming out this year (I think, or maybe it's already out. Okay this joke fell down with my lack of knowledge of the 50 shades universe and lazy refusal to Google anything).
  • I was back in the UK for the Truro game, and one of the old friends I failed to catch up with gave the excuse he was going to see OMD live so wouldn't be out. I checked Ticketmaster and found - Heyyy!!! - they were playing Barcelona on feb 14th. After a bit of a battle, I convinced the missus they were the ideal Valentines night out, and considering her last two offers involved seeing 'Fifty Shades of Gray', my one cannot be worse.

Are they playing in Razzmatazz?

I saw Editors there a couple of years back.

Proper grimy, sweaty sort of place in a basement. Bogs are shocking.....

I really liked it - but don’t try and walk from city centre like I did.....it’s further than it looks.
    Yeah, Razzmatazz. I was there years back for the Offspring - great small venue along the lines of the Town and Country club in Kentish Town (is it still there) back in the day. I'm happy to go there, but my Mrs has moved on in life, and goes more on a nice venue with seats and clean toilets. I'm sure when she disects the concert, dirty bogs will count highly against Humphries and McCluskey. I may try to explain about Finola Hayes to cheer her up :-)
    I sort of left Depeche behind years ago. I caught their Blasphemous Rumours tour at Hammersmith Odeón and hated it - the only concert I've been to that I really disliked. Don't know why. Sincé then they have obviously moved on a long way but they have never enticed me back. I like my rock hard and Mode aren't quite me any more.
  • fadgadget said:

For me Mode have gone in a different direction from OMD /Pet shop boys , they are more of a Rock Synth band now .
    There is a lot of discussion over there last 3 albums which has split their fan base , I saw them at wet spams ground last year and it was a great experience ( I have been a fan since the Bridgehouse days 1980) but their sound now is a acquired taste ......... still buy all their stuff though.

I don't think they've been the same since Alan Wilder left in the mid 90s. Without him their sound just isn't as interesting.
  • fadgadget said:

For me Mode have gone in a different direction from OMD /Pet shop boys , they are more of a Rock Synth band now .

I don't think they've been the same since Alan Wilder left in the mid 90s. Without him their sound just isn't as interesting.
    Probably going to get a bit of grief over this , BUUTT , Daves voice just grates on me now , for me he sounds like a Pub singer .
    But like I said before , I still buy all their releases hoping that the next one is going to be the last great final fling from them .
  • edited January 2018
    fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

Probably going to get a bit of grief over this , BUUTT , Daves voice just grates on me now , for me he sounds like a Pub singer .
    But like I said before , I still buy all their releases hoping that the next one is going to be the last great final fling from them .
    Show me that pub mate!! :wink:

You ever seen the tribute act 'Speak and Spell'. Surprisingly very good. They do a gig at the O2 Islington every autumn as well as other UK 'pubs', clubs and small venues.
  • fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

You ever seen the tribute act 'Speak and Spell'. Surprisingly very good. They do a gig at the O2 Islington every autumn as well as other UK 'pubs', clubs and small venues.
    Yes A couple of Times , they do all the songs that DM no longer play on their tours , and they are bloody good
  • fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

Yes A couple of Times , they do all the songs that DM no longer play on their tours , and they are bloody good
    Just looked their website up, pretty impressed.
  • Love em, great live, saw them at Indigo2 recently and the place was bouncing.