Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time To Protest Again?

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
After recent events at the club isnt it time the supporters let their discontent be known?

There’s blatant asset stripping going on at The Valley in front of our very eyes. Are we going to sit back and let it happen without protest?

Yes, players are entitled to want leave, but we’re still just a solitary point from the playoffs, and we shouldn’t be letting our best players go without a struggle.

If we don’t protest now we never will.

20th Jan v. Walsall would be a good place to start.

And how can people inside the club aid Roland’s selling of our best players. Shame on them. ‘I was just doing my job’ just doesn’t wash it any more.

Comments

• When Katrien was here at least we knew Roland would hear something of a protest and it would be in the news briefly in the UK.

With her gone and Roland in sales mode, how will he hear about it and what will he care even if he does?

Might make everyone feel a bit better having a good old shout an’ that but can’t see it having much greater effect.
  • If any protest are being talked about, the Belgium is the place to do them, embarrass him in his own town, embarrass in front of his employees, hurt him where it will hurt him most in his pocket, affect his working day, my favourite has always been to seek out his customers and confront them, write to Mercedes and explain why you brought a jaguar instead of their car, I did and I didn’t get a reply, but I expect mine was the only letter they received on the subject.

Yes, probably.
  • Enough IS enough
  • With fewer and fewer people going to the valley, demonstrations there are going to have less and less impact. They could, in fact, be a damp squib.

I know this has been done ad infinitum but the next step must surely be a boycott of a home game. Yes I know some people won't boycott but who cares if you have a checkatrade sort of crowd in attendance. Come on, let's do it.
  • With fewer and fewer people going to the valley, demonstrations there are going to have less and less impact. They could, in fact, be a damp squib.

I know this has been done ad infinitum but the next step must surely be a boycott of a home game. Yes I know some people won't boycott but who cares if you have a checkatrade sort of crowd in attendance. Come on, let's do it.

Yes the smaller crowds will have less impact so they'll have to be more imaginative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Personally, I think we need protests at the Valley AND in Belgium. We should make life very uncomfortable for Murray as he sits on his hands doing nothing while KR is hung out to dry. Duchatelet is taking the piss. Our season is being written off in January. Our team looks like being stripped of the real talent. Bully boy Keohane is still there stealing a living.

Enough is enough.

Indeed. Murray never really felt the full force of a protest because Katrien was always there to take the brunt of it.

It should be made clear to him that any form of co operation with Roland's regime puts his future relationship with the fans in serious jeopardy.
    I’m astonished that he has got off so lightly. He should be the brunt of any protests at The Valley .
  • I think 'I was just doing my job' is a very justified argument. Who in their right mind would give up their source of income, heavily impacting themselves and family? And obviously anyone on Charlton Life knows its not just a football club. But in such a circumstance I would see it that way. Just being a member of this site shows how much Charlton means to all of us, but does it mean more to them than their wellbeing and family?

Hate this argument being used again and again.
  • Boycott, boycott, boycott.

#notapennymore
  • JamesSeed said:

And how can people inside the club aid Roland’s selling of our best players. Shame on them. ‘I was just doing my job’ just doesn’t wash it any more.

These people aiding RD's selling of our best players: what are their jobs exactly?

• I think Belgium is the place and we need a coherent message which resonates with local people. Personally I am thinking something on the lines of "he did it to Standard, now he is doing it to us; he brings Belgium into disrepute."

Exactly. I believe ROT have this in hand. Time to get behind them in numbers.
    When are these local elections in Belgium? Might not be much left by then !
  • I’m full of respect for anyone who has boycotted the club, but I see no point in boycotting any more. We’ve go to be happy that the club is being sold (or is about to be sold) and the boycotts were designed to encourage Roland to sell.
    Perhaps now’s the time to come back and lend your voice to any protests against the current selling off of our best players?
  • JamesSeed said:

I’m full of respect for anyone who has boycotted the club, but I see no point in boycotting any more. We’ve go to be happy that the club is being sold (or is about to be sold) and the boycotts were designed to encourage Roland to sell.
    Perhaps now’s the time to come back and lend your voice to any protests against the current selling off of our best players?

It is possible to do both.
  • Are we 100% certain he is actually selling the Club though?

Lots of hints and expressions of interest, but he could just be playing games or not feel sufficiently inclined (or rewarded) to do the deal. He's not renown for keeping to his word - just ask KR.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are happy but only if he does sell. Roland may need reminding that we are not a forgiving lot if his delusion makes him hold out for a ridiculous price. The club has been ruined by him and is worth much less than what he paid for it - which I thought was too much at the time, but that only demonstrates what a mad old plank he is!
  • The minimum should be a call for a one-match boycott by anyone who cares about the future of our club.

I call for a delay in purchasing season tickets/boycott but Duchatelet's pressing ahead to do this for me - his behaviour suggests he knows he will be out before it's renewal time.
  • I don't see protests at the Valley being effective. Murray is acting CEO ? So what, key decisions will be taken in Belgium including sale of players.

We should look to embarrass him in his home town, in front of his business friends.
  • An in match protest outside the ground perhaps?
  • edited January 2018

I don't see protests at the Valley being effective. Murray is acting CEO ? So what, key decisions will be taken in Belgium including sale of players.

We should look to embarrass him in his home town, in front of his business friends.

We can do both. We can also get media coverage in Belgium with protests at The Valley, where it is more practical to demonstrate numbers at short notice.
  • I don't see protests at the Valley being effective. Murray is acting CEO ? So what, key decisions will be taken in Belgium including sale of players.

As others have said, I feel Murray has been let off too lightly in previous protests. He also needs to understand he's not welcome as part of any takeover - (would actually be interesting if a poll was ran on this as this seems to be the growing opinion) so there is some purpose to having protests at home if they target both RD and RM.

Absolutely agree with you about protests in Belgium though.
  • Murray needs to communicate with fans now and ease our fears. If he doesn't we will assume the worst.

The instructions may come from Belgium, but they're carried out at The Valley.