Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Bailout

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
Tin Hat time. Just remember your money in the bank is ultimately just paper and ink.

S.

Comments

• Good job I invested in gold - and a shotgun!
  • swap you my tulips for your shotgun
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Tin Hat time. Just remember your money in the bank is ultimately just paper and ink.

S.

What money in the bank?

This is probably a slightly naive question but what happens if my mortgage lender goes to the wall - presumably someone will still come after me for my debt? (Sorry, I know feck all about economics.)
  • my old man was watching the other night as the money men in the states were putting there case to the senate.He said one top bod was begging them to help out,he couldn't or wouldn't explain why this had happened but just said you have to help us out.Quite pathetic really.
  • Good luck to the HoR I say.

What's that? The financial system that has been all but unregulated for the last twenty years has been ruined because the greedy bastards in control have been lying through their teeth to each other, government and the public at large, borrowing money hand over fist and trying to con people into thinking it was all 'real' and coining it in on other people's misery in the third world is collapsing around your ears you say? That's a shame. Oh - and now you want 700 billion dollars of taxpayers' money so you can continue to prop up this system - but need it, like - NOW, and don't want any of those nasty regulations on how the money can be spent?

Pull the other one its got f***ing bells on.

The sad thing in all this is that the bill will eventually get passed (it has to - otherwise we'll all be back in the ***ing stone age by the end of next year) and some devious, greedy pricks will find ever more inventive ways to spirit it away and into the back pockets of the ridiculously rich so we'll be in exactly the same position in three years' time again.

Meanwhile, the UK government has announced renationalisation of another (the last - cheers for that Maggie) demutualised building society, so that people like me - who work hard for a living, live in a modest house because I didn't want to overcommit, and pay a fixed-rate mortgage because I'm prudent and like to know how much money is going out of my account every week - are now funding the stupid, fcukwitted fools who thought they could afford 300 grand mortgages on shitheaps whilst working as checkout supervisors in Asda and will inevitably end up paying dearly for the pathetic, non-existent diligence of those responsible for 'selling' these 'mortgages' to people with the IQ of a slice of carrot cake.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSE!
  • Great post Leroy.
  • im happy days on my mortgage got a rate last year dis-counted on the base rate ans also a base rate tracker,no fixed term so I don't have the threat of it running out.hopefully the market will sort itself out before i need to re-mortgage.
  • The big u.s. bail out has failed,been turned down.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Good luck to the HoR I say.

What's that? The financial system that has been all but unregulated for the last twenty years has been ruined because the greedy bastards in control have been lying through their teeth to each other, government and the public at large, borrowing money hand over fist and trying to con people into thinking it was all 'real' and coining it in on other people's misery in the third world is collapsing around your ears you say? That's a shame. Oh - and now you want 700 billion dollars of taxpayers' money so you can continue to prop up this system - but need it, like - NOW, and don't want any of those nasty regulations on how the money can be spent?

Pull the other one its got f***ing bells on.

The sad thing in all this is that the bill will eventually get passed (it has to - otherwise we'll all be back in the ***ing stone age by the end of next year) and some devious, greedy pricks will find ever more inventive ways to spirit it away and into the back pockets of the ridiculously rich so we'll be in exactly the same position in three years' time again.

Meanwhile, the UK government has announced renationalisation of another (the last - cheers for that Maggie) demutualised building society, so that people like me - who work hard for a living, live in a modest house because I didn't want to overcommit, and pay a fixed-rate mortgage because I'm prudent and like to know how much money is going out of my account every week - are now funding the stupid, fcukwitted fools who thought they could afford 300 grand mortgages on shitheaps whilst working as checkout supervisors in Asda and will inevitably end up paying dearly for the pathetic, non-existent diligence of those responsible for 'selling' these 'mortgages' to people with the IQ of a slice of carrot cake.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSE!

Wow, that's made you angry!
    Good job Charlie Block wasn't involved.
  • NSS you're missing the point. If this goes the way some fear your mortgage will worth peanuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just read your post Leroy, spot on mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]NSS you're missing the point. If this goes the way some fear your mortgage will worth peanuts.

Okay SC, why does an American bank going down the toilet make my mortgage worthless? Please, elaborate and give me a sleepless night! In simple terms though please cos I'm a bit dense where economics are concerned!
  • Yet again Leroy hits the nail on the head and sums up exactly how I feel. I almost feel like he IS me, but then I know f all about computers - as I have proven on another thread today!
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]NSS you're missing the point. If this goes the way some fear your mortgage will worth peanuts.

Okay SC, why does an American bank going down the toilet make my mortgage worthless? Please, elaborate and give me a sleepless night! In simple terms though please cos I'm a bit dense where economics are concerned!
    I think that comment is more related to the deal he got than the actual mortgage. Gawd knows what's gonna happen with the interest rates over the next few years.... Your mortgage is a debt. That debt may be sold-on by your current bank to another lender, but it will still have to be paid. Whether that debt is larger than the property it's secured upon or not is another matter entirely.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]NSS you're missing the point. If this goes the way some fear your mortgage will worth peanuts.

I think that comment is more related to the deal he got than the actual mortgage. Gawd knows what's gonna happen with the interest rates over the next few years.... Your mortgage is a debt. That debt may be sold-on by your current bank to another lender, but it will still have to be paid. Whether that debt is larger than the property it's secured upon or not is another matter entirely.

Very little danger of me getting into negative equity thankfully, I bought the house nearly 4 years ago with a 25% deposit and have also done a lot of work to 'add value'.

I do have a variable rate mortgage at the moment and its up for renewal in Feb some I'm a little twitchy about that but I'm sure I'll be okay, I could withstand a fairly hefty hike in interest rates with a bit of belt tightening.

As long as there is no danger of it being repossessed, as long as I keep up payments, then I'm not too worried.
  • Back to this one when i'm sober in the morning.......Interest rates, inflation and releative value of debt is a little muddled in my head at the moment, sleep easy for at least another night exile.
  • 100% ten year retrospective income tax on all banking bonuses for the last ten years should help pay part of the bail out off. Charlton would lose out there of course as a lot of the money owed by the club to the banking directors comes from the grand larceny that has been the city of London. Then nationalise all the banks (not building societies) without paying a penny.

I expect the head of Japanese banks would be falling on their swords by now if they had been found out. Lets hope that their western counter parts feel so obliged too!
  • leroy, your god man, thats a great post fella. i salute you
  • The FSA have a lot of explaining to do imo......(if they're the regulatory body)
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]The FSA have a lot of explaining to do imo......(if they're the regulatory body)

Spot on, Fishy. I think you will found that one of the consequences of this will be the disbandment (sp?) of the FSA as they could and should have avoided all of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Meanwhile, the UK government has announced renationalisation of another (the last - cheers for that Maggie) demutualised building society
    that's a good point, building societies served their customers, banks serve their shareholders - massive difference. Most of the bigger building societies were allowed down the greed route - which led to some of them courting takeovers and the others going bust - none of those exist anymore, other than as a mortgage brand name for the banks.

Thank God for the Nationwide and some of the smaller ones stood by their principles so we still have some building societies left.

Privatisation, pah what a lod of bollocks that all was - a gift for French companies (and government) I suppose who now seem to own our water supplies, energy companies and nuclear power stations. And of course the national rail network is much better now it has been smashed up into a myriad of crappy little companies.
  • edited September 2008
    Great post Leroy. What really gets my goat is none of this is real. Nothing has happened, no great flood in America, no famine in Europe, no meteorite devstating Australia. It's just a bunch of windy yuppies getting cold feet about their seventh million being slightly devalued. The whole economics thing is the emperors new clothes, smoke and mirrors, a bunch of greedy shysters pretending they do something that matters, and we ignorant peasants, who don't understand it just go along with it.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail and it's readers pretend the country's problems are all due to a few Polish immigrants, so that when the balloon goes up, the people will turn on the poor bloody foreigners, rather than the greedy, tax avoiding rich bastards who are really to blame.
  • Spot on Leroy.

remeber when our car/motor cycle/ship building industries were in trouble we were told "tough shit free market economy" and they let them die.

Mate of mine is a big money advisor in Mexico , he says most of the clowns that put us where we are will be the same ones that make the real big dosh out of this mess. They are already buying shares in lots of companies that are at rock bottom prices, maybe be a couple of years but they will ream huge profits.

Saw the hooo haaaa late last nite live on US TV The Speaker a Democrate says "its the Republicans who shot this down we did all we could" switch to studio who say 120 republicans voted no 80 demorcats it failed by 30 ish votes . It thats their idea of working toether then f**k me we are in trouble.

If i worked in the city of london i would be very very worried. In Doha there are 40 (min) new buildings , rumour is that they will be for a new finance district, its a matter of time , not if, we loose the City as it is today.

The man in the street gets a criminal record for over filling his rubbish bin , not one person will answer ----- anywhere for this mess.
  • And of course the GPO and every other nationalised industry were models of efficiency and excellent customer service. Yeah right.
    Thatcher had nothing to do with building societies demutualising. In every case it was down to the customers voting for demutualisation. In fact, Bradford & Bingley did not want to demutualise but was forced to because its members (customers) wanted to cop a windfall.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]And of course the GPO and every other nationalised industry were models of efficiency and excellent customer service. Yeah right.
    Thatcher had nothing to do with building societies demutualising. In every case it was down to the customers voting for demutualisation. In fact, Bradford & Bingley did not want to demutualise but was forced to because its members (customers) wanted to cop a windfall.

and Carpet baggers where given the ability to force demutalisation by the legislation put in place by the Thatcher government.

Thankfully some building societies still exist
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]And of course the GPO and every other nationalised industry were models of efficiency and excellent customer service. Yeah right.

Get away with yer Peanuts, you are not telling me that all the members of B & B got together on the same day and independantly wrote to the board demanding demutalisation? Someone led it, and members voted for it because Thatcher had ingrained into the psyche that greed was good.

Regarding nationalised industries, at the time I would have agreed with you, now I realise that I was wrong. All that denationalisation has led to is huge profits for the fat cats who could afford to snap up all the "peoples" shares on day one, more cost for the man in the street, and the definition of efficiency changing from being what is best for the customer, to being what is most profitable for the company.
  • the thatcher government came up with the Building Societies Act 0f 1986 that allowed them to do this
  • B&B demutualised 14 years after the Building Societies Act was passed. No one forced the customers of any building society to vote for incoproration and no one forced the management of building societies that turned into banks to pursue the flawed business models that they have.
    There has been too much liquidity pumped into the system over the last decade by central banks which fuelled the excessive competition for business, too much greed/stupidity on the part of borrowers, too much complacency by govt, regulator and shareholders.
    But of course that's all Thatcher's fault.
  • without her 1986 act they wouldn't have even considered this route, let alone been able to take it and we would today have lots of sensibly run building societies run for the benefit of their customers not trying to make fast bucks for their shareholders.
  • In case you hadn't noticed Salad, the Derbyshire and the Cheshire Building Societies are currently being rescued by the Nationwide.