Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airstrikes against Syria

Confirmed reports the US, UK and France have hit targets in Syria.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43762251

Comments

• edited April 2018
    US used B-1 bombers. Wow. First time Trump has ever formed a coalition of any kind.
  • edited April 2018
    Stock markets closed for the weekend... nighttime. Figured it would be something like that.
  • Just watched Trump's address following the air strikes.

Lots of praying that God does this, that and the other! Meanwhile, God and all of his/hers/its cohorts, in all of their guises, sit in their make believe heavenly utopia with their big fat cigars, laughing at all of the chaos that their respective religions incite to reap upon this world!

God? Do me a favour please! What a complete and utter pile of pony!!

Don’t forget he’s not talking to you, he’s talking to the “American People” who are as insatiable for all that God shit the same way they are insatiable for stuffing vast amounts of deep fried shit down their necks every meal time.
    Whilst stroking their assault rifles and reading their copy of the Second Amendment mate.
  • If the Americans spot him on their radar they'll probably blow him out the sky.
  • McBobbin said:

I can't help feeling that getting involved is a mistake. I mean, the images of children being subject to chemical weapons attack is heart rendering, but when have we ever had a successful outcome from attacking? Serious question. What is considered a successful outcome?

I thought of Kosovo, but we were acting with NATO.

Libya and Iraq? Possibly, ISIS have been largely defeated.

There can be no successful outcome.
    I’m with you . This is a massive mistake . We shouldn’t be getting involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shrew said:

I wonder about the effect of blowing up a so called chemical weapon storage facility on the ground which is close to residential areas, does it not have the same effect as dropping chemical weapons ?

This is why I'm a proponent of the Gaviscon bomb
  • Good and people should stop being so scared of Russia and Putin

Fuck Putin
    Fuck Assad

Bomb the shit out of anyone using chemicals weapons on their people or our own

I agree.
    If someone like china started doing it would we get involved with them.
  • edited April 2018

McBobbin said:

I can't help feeling that getting involved is a mistake. I mean, the images of children being subject to chemical weapons attack is heart rendering, but when have we ever had a successful outcome from attacking? Serious question. What is considered a successful outcome?

I disagree, the Nazis would have taken over the entire planet had nobody stood up to such a horrific regime. The world should stand together against tyrants and use reasonable force as necessary. World Cup now looks doubtful given Russia’s stance that there will be consequences. Has there ever been world peace?
  • Jayajosh said:

McBobbin said:

I disagree, the Nazis would have taken over the entire planet had nobody stood up to such a horrific regime. The world should stand together against tyrants and use reasonable force as necessary. World Cup now looks doubtful given Russia’s stance that there will consequences. Has there ever been world peace?
    Why is the World Cup doubtful?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Jayajosh said:

McBobbin said:

I disagree, the Nazis would have taken over the entire planet had nobody stood up to such a horrific regime. The world should stand together against tyrants and use reasonable force as necessary. World Cup now looks doubtful given Russia’s stance that there will consequences. Has there ever been world peace?
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81606/russia-world-cup#latest
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Jayajosh said:

McBobbin said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81606/russia-world-cup#latest
    Ah ok, had somehow missed that thread!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    Big plays going on right now.

Syria is a key strategic state for the Russians.
    It's home to some of their big military overseas bases. A key foothold in the Med and a potential diversion point for other states to build new fuel infrastructure into Europe hitting Russian exports hard.
    They won't give this up easily. Why they've lit a beacon over it by allowing the use of chemical weapons is anyone's guess?
    Putin has shown greater and greater hunger for unimaginable wealth in the past.
    Looks like he might be trying to make a play for world domination!
    World cup being cancelled could be the least of our worries.

Then there's Trump!

:-(
  • Extreme loss of face for the Russians here after all the rhetoric about how they were going to shoot down any missiles and hit platforms. Looks like they can’t or at best have been caught with their trousers round their ankles.

I hope they decide to only retaliate verbally because anything else is definitely bad for us all.

My opinion is that Putin will use this to whip up even further anti West feeling at home and smooth the way for him internally to find domestic support for his real ambitions which are to reclaim a buffer between Mother Russia and the West.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia first on his list.
  • Extreme loss of face for the Russians here after all the rhetoric about how they were going to shoot down any missiles and hit platforms. Looks like they can’t or at best have been caught with their trousers round their ankles.

I hope they decide to only retaliate verbally because anything else is definitely bad for us all.

My opinion is that Putin will use this to whip up even further anti West feeling at home and smooth the way for him internally to find domestic support for his real ambitions which are to reclaim a buffer between Mother Russia and the West.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia first on his list.

heard a conflicting report on this as some of the missiles were intercepted by Assad's Russian made/backed missile defence system.
  • Given that the Russians and Syrians have said the chemical weapons attack last week was somehow staged, any attack should have been held off until the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has carried out its inspection, which is due to start today. Once their use last week was confirmed, then it is legitimate to take action.
  • Jayajosh said:

McBobbin said:

I disagree, the Nazis would have taken over the entire planet had nobody stood up to such a horrific regime. The world should stand together against tyrants and use reasonable force as necessary. World Cup now looks doubtful given Russia’s stance that there will be consequences. Has there ever been world peace?
    But a couple of years ago it was ISA that was the threat to the world and Syrian and Russian forces have pretty much seen them off, it really not as simple as you make out