Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nandos

Comments

• Will the UK reach saturation point with fried chicken outlets?
  • is Nando's halal?
  • is Nando's halal?

73 out of their 402 restaurants are. All of which advise customers after they have stepped in the restaurant. There are no signs to inform potential customers before entering.
  • I put the Nando’s haters very much in the same camp as people that claim they’ve never heard of celebrities on cbb and I’m a celeb.

Which celebrity are you?
  • I really think that five pages of talking about fried chicken is more appropriate on the takeover thread.
  • is Nando's halal?

73 out of their 402 restaurants are. All of which advise customers after they have stepped in the restaurant. There are no signs to inform potential customers before entering.
    I don't have a problem eating Halal chicken. Some of my mates are Muslim so we purposely travel to the Croydon Nando's on the rare occasion we all fancy a 'Cheeky Nando's'.
  • As a dedicated carnivore but concerned with animal welfare I only eat free range chicken and never eat fast food chicken. The other reason is that mass produced chicken tastes of nothing. KFC and Nandos skill is covering them in gunk that gives them a flavour.

If you want to check out how the chickens are reared and processed for catering outlets like Nandos and KFC there is plenty of material online. If it doesn't colour your attitude to eating fast food chicken it should. Unlike Vegans/Veggies I am don't have an issue with the fact that animals are killed for food, I do have an issue with how they live which has a direct impact on quality.

The Red Tractor standards that outlets loudly proclaim they follow, as far as I can see are designed to allow the supply chain to provide the cheapest source of animal protein that has no flavour and low nutrients, whilst meeting hygiene standards that are impossible to effectively audit.

We now spend less than 17% of our income on food compared to over 30% 50 years ago. I don't accept the argument that chicken sold for £2 is what consumers want to pay regardless, this is a marketing strategy to get people into the store to sell more profitable produce. The mass produced protein called budget chicken has become a discount voucher.

A vegetarian is prepared to pay £6 for a kilo of Quorn on moral grounds, I think there is room for some morality to come into play against promoting £2 chickens.

• Dazzler21 said:

I put the Nando’s haters very much in the same camp as people that claim they’ve never heard of celebrities on cbb and I’m a celeb.

Which celebrity are you?
    Little Mix
  • I put the Nando’s haters very much in the same camp as people that claim they’ve never heard of celebrities on cbb and I’m a celeb.

I abbreviate that to "Not twats". :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• As a dedicated carnivore but concerned with animal welfare I only eat free range chicken and never eat fast food chicken. The other reason is that mass produced chicken tastes of nothing. KFC and Nandos skill is covering them in gunk that gives them a flavour.

If you want to check out how the chickens are reared and processed for catering outlets like Nandos and KFC there is plenty of material online. If it doesn't colour your attitude to eating fast food chicken it should. Unlike Vegans/Veggies I am don't have an issue with the fact that animals are killed for food, I do have an issue with how they live which has a direct impact on quality.

The Red Tractor standards that outlets loudly proclaim they follow, as far as I can see are designed to allow the supply chain to provide the cheapest source of animal protein that has no flavour and low nutrients, whilst meeting hygiene standards that are impossible to effectively audit.

We now spend less than 17% of our income on food compared to over 30% 50 years ago. I don't accept the argument that chicken sold for £2 is what consumers want to pay regardless, this is a marketing strategy to get people into the store to sell more profitable produce. The mass produced protein called budget chicken has become a discount voucher.

A vegetarian is prepared to pay £6 for a kilo of Quorn on moral grounds, I think there is room for some morality to come into play against promoting £2 chickens.

I don't think It's that easy to persuade people to pay higher prices. People have become conditioned to having very cheap food and poor animal welfare/farming methods.

If anything it seems likely going forward that standards will get even worse if Governments allow producers to cut corners.
  • Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

I don't have a problem eating Halal chicken. Some of my mates are Muslim so we purposely travel to the Croydon Nando's on the rare occasion we all fancy a 'Cheeky Nando's'.
    I don't have a problem with eating chicken that doesn't need to have a completely nonsensical blessing put on it based on a medieval ideology, for fear of upsetting a mythical character that apparently split the moon in half and rode up to heaven on a unicorn. Cheeky or not.
    Do you want fries with that?

Check out the new RSPCA Assured foods a step up from Red Tractor in that it is about the welfare of the animals including during slaughter.

• Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

I don't have a problem with eating chicken that doesn't need to have a completely nonsensical blessing put on it based on a medieval ideology, for fear of upsetting a mythical character that apparently split the moon in half and rode up to heaven on a unicorn. Cheeky or not.
    Do you want fries with that?
    Please. Large.
  • Redhenry said:

I went to KFC in Portsmouth, Kens Fried Chicken.

Ah Kens Kebabs!

And Ken’s Chicken

And Kens Pizza

Ken does everything. Lived off that place at Uni
  • Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

How do you spot an atheist, a religion believer, a vegan, a runner?

Any one of them will tell you.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

You are either an atheist or a believer in religion as far as I'm aware? I'm not sure how many are undecided.

Impossible to discuss religion!
  • edited April 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

You are either an atheist or a believer in religion as far as I'm aware? I'm not sure how many are undecided.

This is obviously off topic but religion is easily discussed.

Burden of proof and all that. If that cannot be fulfilled then there is nothing to discuss.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

Burden of proof and all that. If that cannot be fulfilled then there is nothing to discuss.
    I should have added 'without causing offence'. If you don't believe then religion will probably appear nonsensical - I stopped going to church when I was about 10 which is a good few years ago!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

I should have added 'without causing offence'. If you don't believe then religion will probably appear nonsensical - I stopped going to church when I was about 10 which is a good few years ago!
    It's not offensive to state that religion is made up nonsense. It's factual. It'll stay factual until the burden of proof has been fulfilled. A burden of proof that nobody has ever been able to fulfil.

I mean, Adam and Eve? Really? talking snake? and that's just for starters.

The New Testament doesn't exist without the Old Testament. A point that religious folk can't get their heads around. Mainly due to it advocating slavery and other such horrific practices that they'd rather not have on their conscience when talking to the sky.

I'll leave it there as this isn't what the thread was for.

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

It's not offensive to state that religion is made up nonsense. It's factual. It'll stay factual until the burden of proof has been fulfilled. A burden of proof that nobody has ever been able to fulfil.

The New Testament doesn't exist without the Old Testament. A point that religious folk can't get their heads around. Mainly due to it advocating slavery and other such horrific practices that they'd rather not have on their conscience when talking to the sky.

everyone love a cheeky off topic religion debate

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

People who are religious tend to take offence if you tell them it's nonsense. Has been known to start wars sadly.

It's a bit like a heated debate over the quality of chicken or which the best chicken takeaway is? Is it Morleys?

• edited April 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

People who are religious tend to take offence if you tell them it's nonsense. Has been known to start wars sadly.

It's a bit like a heated debate over the quality of chicken or which the best chicken takeaway is? Is it Morleys?

I like your analogy, despite its obvious flaws :wink:

However, there are methods of proving which is the better quality chicken. There are, as yet, and since the inception of any of the historic 3000 or so 'gods', no provable methods of verification.

Any fool knows that Maxin Chicken is better than Morleys.

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

I like your analogy, despite it obvious flaws :wink:

However, there are methods of proving which is the better quality chicken. There are, as yet, and since the inception of any of the historic 3000 or so 'gods', no provable methods of verification.

Morleys says it's 'South London's favourite' so unless they're lying I'll go with them.
  • The few times we went, the last time about fifteen years ago, the chicken was well cooked but it was quite expensive for what it was. The only time I had a burger, it was awful, as bad as BK or McD.

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

I like your analogy, despite it obvious flaws :wink:

Morleys says it's 'South London's favourite' so unless they're lying I'll go with them.
    P*lace say something similar.
  • Sorry for being a killjoy but have you seen what you are eating? https://www.worldanimalprotection.org/change-for-chickens
  • Dazzler21 said:

is Nando's halal?

The odd thing is, I genuinely have no idea whether that is what people believe or whether you're spoofing it up a bit.