Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Valley Atmosphere since...

Comments

• The 2 United games, 3-3 and when we lost 1-0 late on, think it was York?

Beating Chelsea 2-0 (I think) Euall scoring late on in front of the covered end.
  • The 1st season we had in the Prem the atmosphere was really good at every home game. The Southampton 5.0 game and the West Ham 4.2 really stand out. Even the sky tv game against Wimbledon was electric and the following Saturday when we beat Liverpool 1.0 with Keith Jones goal.
  • clb74 said:

Was in my old seat in D Block lower west.
    Defo best atmosphere since Cardiff game (5-4).
    Was probably better than that, especially last 10 minutes!
    Even had blokes standing up turning towards the crowd
    behind urging the chanting.
    My hands are black and blue with the rthymic clapping,
    CAFC forever!

Especially the last 10 minutes. That cardiff game was most of the game at least from the 20th minute.
    F@ck me we will be comparing the atmosphere at Gillingham away to portsmouth away next.
    The cardiff game was special. For a start it was an evening game which is always more atmospheric. Similar circumstances in being a must win game but at different ends of the table. I felt that Cardiff was much more of a ‘buzz’ - especially after Jackos first, but in the end (after the 3rd Cardiff goal) it was very nervous. Yesterday there seemed to be more belief, even though there was still only a single goal margin at the end, and from the same seats, much more collective singing.

(Is this because in the order of precedence, a Lord ranks higher than a Knight (lol smiley face etc :-) ) ?)
  • I think when fans feel the players are giving everything they respond. I would love to know what Bowyer said to them after Scunthorpe!
  • Preston 75?? Bob Curtis penalty nightmare.. and Ipswich 98 was the best two I recall.
  • I would say, without a shadow of doubt, the loudest the Valley has ever been was against Ipswich in the 1998 play off semi final home leg.

My ears are still ringing from the noise when the teams came out. A noise bettered when Shaun Newton scored a cracker.

And unforgettable evening.

This 100%
  • edited April 2018
    E-cafc said:

The 1st season we had in the Prem the atmosphere was really good at every home game. The Southampton 5.0 game and the West Ham 4.2 really stand out. Even the sky tv game against Wimbledon was electric and the following Saturday when we beat Liverpool 1.0 with Keith Jones goal.

There was a cracking atmosphere at the Valley when we beat Tottenham 3-1 too. Think it was Parker and Stuart who scored the first two. Can’t recall who bagged the third. Poyet scored for them.
  • Kevin Lisbie
  • Simply the best in years, in the north upper, everyone on the feet, singing, clapping, willing a result, tension un-matched since the Sunderland play off final. That is why we go to football and that what makes the valley special!
  • Surprised no one has shouted out the Middlesborough FA Cup game 2006. That was some atmosphere, with the post match build up with tub thumping music, kicking it all off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult to compare current day Covered End to the old single tier one, but for me the loudest I have heard from our supporters was against Preston in 1975 when we needed to win to gain promotion. Crowd of around 25,000, it was a Tuesday night and the Covered End was heaving half an hour before kick off. We won 3-1, and my ears were still ringing half an hour after the end of the match. Superb night, superb atmosphere - and we didn't bottle it despite Preston taking an early lead.

43 years ago tonight - that date is etched into my brain forever.

In modern times the Ipswich playoff game was a cauldron, another one I remember was a cup tie with Brentford when the late great David Whyte scored a free kick in injury time, that was bloody loud as well.
  • Difficult to compare current day Covered End to the old single tier one, but for me the loudest I have heard from our supporters was against Preston in 1975 when we needed to win to gain promotion. Crowd of around 25,000, it was a Tuesday night and the Covered End was heaving half an hour before kick off. We won 3-1, and my ears were still ringing half an hour after the end of the match. Superb night, superb atmosphere - and we didn't bottle it despite Preston taking an early lead.

This was a fantastic night. Palace were also playing and they needed to win and have the results go their way, including ours, to stay in promotion race. They won and I remember reading in the Mercury about the silence that fell on Selhurst when they announced our score. Same season Millwall got relegated from the second division. Happy days.

• The best since Cardiff, although better than the Cardiff game.
    I would say best since the Ipswich play off game, but I can't believe no one's mentioned -

Sha la la la la la la la
    Sha la la la la la la la
    Sha la la la la la la la
    We sent the Palace down !

Very true!

Nothing to do with the valley but Andy Johnson missed pen at Selhurst and Rommeldahl going up the other end and netting- was it the last minute? Was alright!
  • edited April 2018
    BR3red said:

The best since Cardiff, although better than the Cardiff game.
    I would say best since the Ipswich play off game, but I can't believe no one's mentioned -

Sha la la la la la la la
    Sha la la la la la la la
    Sha la la la la la la la
    We sent the Palace down !

Very true!

Nothing to do with the valley but Andy Johnson missed pen at Selhurst and Rommeldahl going up the other end and netting- was it the last minute? Was alright!
    Yep, Dennis in the last minute at Selhurst, but as I think you understood, I was referring to Jon Fortune in the 82nd minute and the relegation of Palace at The Valley.
  • edited April 2018
    Not there yesterday as boycotting for two years so can't comment but easy to get carried away. Quite a few have mentioned the Preston Game & I would certainly agree that the Ipswich PO semi was special but I would say that probably every game in the first Premier season was superb. The support was out of this world, never gave up, with the likes of KInsella driving the team & the support on it was a great time to be at the Valley. The Man U 3-3 was something special Derby 68/69 in fact most of 68/69 was a great time to be in the Covered End. Palarse home & especially away in the cup 68/69. 8000 in the arthur waite in the champions of Championship season, quite a few home games against palarse over the years. Home to Pompey on a tuesday night early 70s pissing of rain & they were undefeated having walloped us 4-0 a couple of weeks earlier. 4=1 to us & superb atmosphere. west ham in our relegation season when Curbs had just taken over @ Upton Park 4-0 unreal atmosphere & carried on in the Coni for hours after. Chelsea away in the FA Cup thousands singing the whole game, Valley Floyd Road again & again for about 15 minutes, never heard chelsea. Glad the atmosphere was great yesterday but we've had many great times over the years. Big shame the takeover didn't happen January/February as I think that would have given a big surge in support / atmosphere for the last 2/3/months of the season (Mind you maybe not if Robinson was still in charge :smile: )
  • Brighton night game in late 70's. Two up then equaliser up the covered end from a 3 times taken penalty after bent ref deemed Wood had moved before saving the first two. Covered End was enraged. Then 3-2 down before Paddy Powell completed the comeback Curling in our fourth. Covered End in raptures.

Lively at the station afterwards. Got hit on the head by a light bulb thrown by a Brighton fan as their train pulled out.
  • The Chelsea demolition on boxing day was great atmosphere but this is a great shout for a thread as I'd say the Ipswich play off game was the best and that was 20 bloody years ago.

• Charlton 3 - Preston 1 to seal promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think when fans feel the players are giving everything they respond. I would love to know what Bowyer said to them after Scunthorpe!

I think when fans feel the players are giving everything they respond. I would love to know what Bowyer said to them after Scunthorpe!

Cafc43v3r said:

The 2 United games, 3-3 and when we lost 1-0 late on, think it was York?

Beating Chelsea 2-0 (I think) Euall scoring late on in front of the covered end.

It was definitely Yorke. It’s ironic, as after the game there were people handing Yorkie bars on the way out of the ground.
  • Brighton night game in late 70's. Two up then equaliser up the covered end from a 3 times taken penalty after bent ref deemed Wood had moved before saving the first two. Covered End was enraged. Then 3-2 down before Paddy Powell completed the comeback Curling in our fourth. Covered End in raptures.

Lively at the station afterwards. Got hit on the head by a light bulb thrown by a Brighton fan as their train pulled out.

Brighton's 3 times taken penalty was at the Jimmy Steed Stand end. Horton "missed" the first 2 and Peter Ward score the 3rd effort.

Wasn't there yesterday but that Preston promotion game and the Ipswich playoff match for me were the best Valley atmospheres.

Beat me to it. Preston ‘75 was something special for a 15 year old Mr Dick. The covered end was heaving - Terrace surges, it was just like being on the Liverpool Kop, followed by a pitch invasion at the final whistle. Happy Days

Brighton's 3 times taken penalty was at the Jimmy Steed Stand end. Horton "missed" the first 2 and Peter Ward score the 3rd effort.
    I hated that Ward - he always played blindingly well against us!

Remember that one. Didn't they score first and then we missed a penalty?

• addick05 said:

Difficult to compare current day Covered End to the old single tier one, but for me the loudest I have heard from our supporters was against Preston in 1975 when we needed to win to gain promotion. Crowd of around 25,000, it was a Tuesday night and the Covered End was heaving half an hour before kick off. We won 3-1, and my ears were still ringing half an hour after the end of the match. Superb night, superb atmosphere - and we didn't bottle it despite Preston taking an early lead.

Remember that one. Didn't they score first and then we missed a penalty?

Yup
  • Another one that springs to mind is the match v Palace when Malcolm Allison mouthed it off big style to Andy Nelson, early to mid 70's I think. Allison gave it large in the papers wanting a £300 bet with Nelson that Palace would finish higher than us (or beat us that game), cant remember which.

Without looking up the stats, we did Palace 3-0 or 3-1 that night and I swear the chant of Allison, shut your mouth, Allison, Allison shut your mouth was one of the loudest chants I've ever heard at the Valley. Started in the covered end, got louder and louder as it spread along the east terrace which is where I was stood. The atmosphere the whole night was on a different level.
  • We beat Palace 1 - 0 in the promotion season of 74/75 in front of 26,104 if I remember correctly
  • We beat Palace 1 - 0 in the promotion season of 74/75 in front of 26,104 if I remember correctly

Agreed.
  • Surprised no one has shouted out the Middlesborough FA Cup game 2006. That was some atmosphere, with the post match build up with tub thumping music, kicking it all off.

Beat me to it! This is what I remember as the best, we did not let up the whole game. Before yesterday, yeah the night game vs Cardiff.