Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quirky local landmarks

Reading the thread about the fondly-remembered Marilyn Monroe poster in Eltham got me thinking about quirky local landmarks. In particular I thought of those small distinctive white steps at the very top of Shooters Hill near the Water Tower. I was told they were stagecoach steps. Anyone else recall them? Are they still there? Any other little landmarks anyone can recall?

Comments

• Reading the thread about the fondly-remembered Marilyn Monroe poster in Eltham got me thinking about quirky local landmarks. In particular I thought of those small distinctive white steps at the very top of Shooters Hill near the Water Tower. I was told they were stagecoach steps. Anyone else recall them? Are they still there? Any other little landmarks anyone can recall?

Still there.

Also the distance marker further down the hill (towards Blackheath) on the other side of the road, depicting the distance to Ypres

• Severndroog Castle on Shooters Hill in the woods is pretty good. Remember my dad used to take us there to find it. Is now reopened to the public, great views from the top.
  • Hangman's corner in Chislehurst. A stone shows the spot, but the tree is probably newer.
  • Reading the thread about the fondly-remembered Marilyn Monroe poster in Eltham got me thinking about quirky local landmarks. In particular I thought of those small distinctive white steps at the very top of Shooters Hill near the Water Tower. I was told they were stagecoach steps. Anyone else recall them? Are they still there? Any other little landmarks anyone can recall?

This?

Still there.

Also the distance marker further down the hill (towards Blackheath) on the other side of the road, depicting the distance to Ypres

Ah yes I forgot about that distance marker. Another quirky landmark

This?

That's them! Doesn't look much 'step' there. Wouldn't fancy negotiating those after a few pints of foaming mead in The Bull...
  • edited May 2018
    The child bollard down Rectory Lane Sidcup. A genuine WTF the first time I drove past it image
  • Sponsored links:

• Somebody reckoned she looks taller than you, AFKA :smile:

• The child bollard down Rectory Lane Sidcup. A genuine WTF the first time I drove past it image

That is quite sinister....
  • Anyone else remember that strange miniature castle at the back of a house on Robin Hood Lane, Bexleyheath? It was/is a tiny lane connecting Lion Road and I think Standard Road. Couldn't believe someone would construct a mini castle in their back garden. I was somewhat obsessed with it as a kid.

This?

That's them! Doesn't look much 'step' there. Wouldn't fancy negotiating those after a few pints of foaming mead in The Bull...
    I think you'd need a bit of Dutch courage on that route - much favoured by Dick Turpin and his mates.
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/6486972.When_Turpin_was_king_of_the_road/
  • The Obelisk in Mitcham, near where I grew up. Dates back to 1822 and is supposed to be on the site of an ancient spring/well. As a div kid I thought it was a rocket.
  • There used to be a real rocket (well missile) outside the Artillery barracks in Woolwich. Anyone remember when it went?
  • There used to be a house on the rhs of the road from Wilmington to Dartford with a giant 70 painted in yellow on a red garage door. I used to think Sandi Togsvik lived there, or maybe one of her relatives...
  • The Year 2041

There used to be a football ground in Floyd Road, SE7, Don't quote me on it but I think it was called The Valley.

Some geezer from Belgium owned the ground and the land but not the football team and he decided to knock it down and build some flats and apartments.

• Sponsored links:

• The Year 2041

There used to be a football ground in Floyd Road, SE7, Don't quote me on it but I think it was called The Valley.

Some geezer from Belgium owned the ground and the land but not the football team and he decided to knock it down and build some flats and apartments.

I believe the team re-formed as Peninsula United FC and now play next to the O2 in the Beezer Homes League.

Finished it for you.
  • Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.
  • Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

Memories! I spent many a happy day there.
  • Still have the stocks in situ in our village.
  • bobmunro said:

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

Memories! I spent many a happy day there.
    Plus the one in Martens Grove.
  • The mini church like building on the roundabout near Blendon
  • The guy that used to direct the traffic on the ramps of the Blackwall Tunnel south bound
  • Does anyone remember the big old black American car that was in a front garden of a house in Arbuthnot Drive (by the Blue Anchor) for years?
  • The steps at the top of Shooters Hill were there so the passengers could get off the stagecoaches to allow the horses to rest up for a while after the long haul up the hill, by all accounts.
  • The steps at the top of Shooters Hill were there so the passengers could get off the stagecoaches to allow the horses to rest up for a while after the long haul up the hill, by all accounts.

And to alight to access The Bull Hotel at the summit of the hill.