Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do you rate England's 2018 World Cup campaign?

Good or bad? Overachieved or underachieved?

Who was our best player?

Who might've been on the plane but wasn't?

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Good, we’ve got our pride back as a nation. I’ve really enjoyed watching it. I’ve already bought my Spain & Croatia ticket and will get my Switzerland ticket on Thursday.

Going forward we know how we are going to play, we know who are number 1 is and we know we’ve got the leading scorer at the World Cup.

I think we are going in the right direction, will Foden, Sancho, Cook be capable of stepping up and joining the first team, potentially, but everything will be in place to allow them to achieve.

Tripper for me.

Personally, I would have taken Lewis Cook instead of Welbeck.
  • Overachieved

Maguire

Chris Smalling instead of Jones maybe . Definitely not Wiltshire or Shelvey

• Good, we’ve got our pride back as a nation. I’ve really enjoyed watching it. I’ve already bought my Spain & Croatia ticket and will get my Switzerland ticket on Thursday.

Going forward we know how we are going to play, we know who are number 1 is and we know we’ve got the leading scorer at the World Cup.

I think we are going in the right direction, will Foden, Sancho, Cook be capable of stepping up and joining the first team, potentially, but everything will be in place to allow them to achieve.

Tripper for me.

Personally, I would have taken Lewis Cook instead of Welbeck.

A Midfielder for Attacker makes no sense.

Dont see what Cook would have added.
  • Definitely good

Trippier

Sessignon
  • Did not bother we the third place match. We have definitely over achieved with the young squad. And to think of all the young talent England are producing I think we are in good health for the future with the likes of Lookman, Gomez, Foden on the way up. Just need to find a midfield maestro to complete the set.
  • Euros:

Pickford
    Trippier
    Sessegnon
    Gomez
    Maguire
    Stones
    Henderson
    Loftus Cheek
    Sancho
    Sterling (we always look better with him on the pitch)
    Kane
  • Got lucky with the draw but did okay.Pickford and Trippier stood out - I think Shelvey may have made a difference.
  • edited July 2018
    Promising but some areas where work is still needed.
    We look forward to Gareth returning next term and building on the good start he has made this year.
    7/10.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good!

Meh!

No, good!

But meh!

Okayish!

Nah...

• Over achieved. Just needed a Gazza type performance from one of the attacking players to bring it home.
  • Very good

Kieran Tripper our best player though they all did very well
  • I think the draw flattered us but you can only beat what’s in front of you. History says we finished beaten semi-finalists which is a great improvement from the last two tournaments. We were better than I would have dreamt before the start and we played three sides that won their groups, coming up short against one of them but beating a side that had the world champions in theirs.

We have some decent young players in the squad, some decent ones left at home injured and some real good prospects coming through.
    Our future looks good but I suppose most countries would say the same.
  • Over achieved. Just needed a Gazza type performance from one of the attacking players to bring it home.

Are you saying Kane should take up alcohol?
  • Average
  • Performed a lot better that I thought we would. Really pleased with the progress being made. Our youth teams are performing well on all fronts with some exciting players coming through.

Trippier our best player.

I think we lacked a bit of a plan B when we needed a goal and time running out. Maybe a Crouch?
  • Good. It was especially good on the PR side, the country really connected with the national team and manager

We overachieved, better teams went out sooner than us

Trippier

Ross Barkley or Jack Wilshere. Maybe in place of Trent Alexander-Arnold, as Walker could play at wing back or even Ashley Young, seeing that he's right footed anyway
  • Very good. Not the results particularly but the cohesiveness. It’s good to see England looking like a team. We need 2 or 3 of these youngsters to progress to being world class and then we will be a serious threat.

Maguire and Trippier impressed me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good or bad? Overachieved or underachieved?

Who was our best player?

Who might've been on the plane but wasn't?

Great performance overall, rode our luck at times and overachieved given young squad.

Best player for me was Trippier, had no idea how good he was. Pickford, Young, Maguire and Lingard all had v. good tournaments, and Henderson, to my surprise. Kane slowed down and didnt play his natural game in the knockout stages- he kept dropping back to get the ball. Alli and Lingard both tired after the group games.

I think we missed someone who could scrap without getting sent off (where we struggled against Colombia and Croatia), and someone different up front. I'm not sure who any of the replacements are though. Up front maybe Carroll, or another target man? I don't think Carroll is good/fit enough but I'm not sure who else is there. Rashford wasn't enough to change the game this time.

Overall enthused for the future, especially when you see the age of the squad and the recent success from u17-u21 level for England.
  • edited July 2018
    was good

we reached a semi final. we won on penalties. we lost to a good Croatian side instead of being dumped out by the likes of Iceland. we could actually see our players finding each other. some great memories were created on our road to the semi finals.

there are negatives. we have some alright players but unfortunately struggle to create that many chances against better sides and when chances are created not enough of them are able to put them away. we looked prone to an error at the back. we seem to only have one system which could be counter attacked. need something more in midfield.

of course I'm being a bit biased but I do believe that Shelvey and Lookman should of been there. plus a big centre forward to add something different.

I was very impressed with Pickford. didn't give him a lot of praise before the world cup but now I really think he's a top keeper.

Trippier was brilliant. created so many chances.

if sterling engaged his brain he would be one of the best players England (i know he's actually Jamaican but you know what i mean) has ever produced. just needs to make better decisions.

Maguire was very good most of the time.

Kane went off the pace in our last couple of games but before that he was so composed and dependable up front.

todays 3rd place game was a real disappointment. poor way to end a good tournament for us. I'm sure Gareth will not be pleased with that.

anyway...

onwards to the Euros under a manager in Southgate who I have really grown to respect and like over the course of these last couple of weeks.

We Still Believe
  • Far better than i expected. They restored pride and interest in the national team which was probably at an all time low after Euro 2016. We have a squad that actually look like they enjoy playing together and we have a manager who picks players that suit his system rather than just playing 'names' for the sake of it.

Yes the draw was very kind, but who cares. No one looks back at Italia 90 and says 'oh we only beat Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon'.

This tournament combined with the many recent youth successes have shown that the future could actually be fairly decent for us. Quarter/semi finals of major tournaments can potentially become the minimum expectation rather than just a wild dream.

Really really hopeful and looking forward to Euro 2020 now.
  • Haven't read everything posted

Good, no better no worse.

Tripper, Maguire, Lingard and Pickford all massive pluses

Stones, Kane, Young, Walker played as expected.

Henderson had the 6 games of his life.

Ali and Sterling a mixed bag.

Going forward Sessignon needs to come in on the left, Gomez at the right side of defence.

More than anything we need a 10, a Modric, an Eriksion, not a Messi, maybe a Forden? Or Ben Reeves ;-)
  • edited July 2018
    Oh and I would like to add that I hope we don't go down the golden generation route with Kane, he isn't not droppable.
  • Over hyped hysteria. We played shit teams and lost to a mediocre Croatia and Belgium. We're still pants
  • Did well. Still question marks over the quality of opposition at the start but it helped build our confidence. Kane faded badly.

Trippier best player.

Think we had the best squad for what Southgate was trying to achieve.

Are you saying Kane should take up alcohol?
    WMT, for me the best players for England this world Cup were largely defensive ones, even though they contributed in an attacking sense as well.

Kane scored 5 goals against Tunisia/Panama, and 1 against Colombia (which was a penalty). Good work, but not anything more than I'd expect from such a great striker.

But the ultimate point is that there has been no stand out performance from an attacking midfielder type.

In 90 Gazza was that player. I went to Germany the following summer on a school trip and the German family I stayed with were still raving about him to me then one year later, even though they'd beaten us.
  • edited July 2018
    Restored a bit of pride in the shirt and got the fans back onside which were big plusses.

Did better than expected given we have very few world class players but think the draw had plenty to do with that.

Trippier, Maguire, Pickford and Henderson all stand outs. Alli couldn't have been fit as offered very little barring his Sweden goal and Sterling remains the most frustrating player I've seen in an England shirt for years. Despite Kane likely getting the golden boot I was actually disappointed with him overall. Think he ran out of gas in the knock out games or like Alli wasn't 100%.

Would love to see us progress but a lot of that comes down to the big Prem sides actually playing the young English talent coming through. Otherwise we'll have a squad of mid table players as they're from the only clubs that will actually give English youngsters a regular game. RLC is the perfect example.
  • Very good and Trippier stand out player