Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Man City Documentary

2»

Comments

• Stig said:

clive said:

Does anyone of a certain age remember the 1980 documentary "City"? It is one of my favourite pieces of TV of all times. It followed Malcolm Allison as it all fell apart for him at City - and then went to Palace. It probably looks very dated now, I think its a b-w production. It was one of the earliest to choose a contemporary rock track as a soundtrack, and it was an inspired choice, Steve Winwood's "Spanish Dancer", seemed like it was written especially for it.

This will have to go some to match that in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KVEy1XKoc
    Good to see Tommy Caton in that video.
    Didn't see the original CITY! at the time but have watched it lots of times on Youtube. It's absolutely fascinating/ridiculous/sad and the soundtrack seems to heighten the melancholy feeling.

Two future Charlton players featured, Steve Mackenzie and and Tommy Caton, and were part of City's early season's struggles. Amazing to think that City made it to the the FA Cup Final that season (Mackenzie scoring one of the better goals Wembley has seen) and were only just beaten in the replay by a very good Spurs side.

There's no doubt that John Bond turned the team round with sensible management and a couple of astute signings that worked out. Malcolm Allison never really succeeded after that in domestic football but did have some success in Portugal/European Cups.
  • What was the Liverpool one a few years back. I just remember cringing at Brendan Rogers with portraits of himself on the wall of his office i think. Something like that.
  • Curb_It said:

What was the Liverpool one a few years back. I just remember cringing at Brendan Rogers with portraits of himself on the wall of his office i think. Something like that.

Being Liverpool. Only saw about 10 minutes of it - massive pile of cow pats.
  • Stig said:

Does anyone of a certain age remember the 1980 documentary "City"? It is one of my favourite pieces of TV of all times. It followed Malcolm Allison as it all fell apart for him at City - and then went to Palace. It probably looks very dated now, I think its a b-w production. It was one of the earliest to choose a contemporary rock track as a soundtrack, and it was an inspired choice, Steve Winwood's "Spanish Dancer", seemed like it was written especially for it.

I don't remember that, but I do remember the documentary about John Sitton at Orient. As a young man watching that, I learnt absolutely nothing about football but I did add to my vocabulary.
    Its beautiful. Like Picasso but better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SN9le_U5SI
    My favourite bit is 'f*** the technical sh**'! Can't imagine today's players lapping this up.

Very poetical language - inspiring stuff....
  • Being a technology dinosaur, is it possible to watch this without Amazon Prime?

I’ve got Sky
  • 30 day free trial with Amazon not available?
  • Being a technology dinosaur, is it possible to watch this without Amazon Prime?

I’ve got Sky

No.

Go round a mate's and binge watch it with beers and a curry!

• Just watched the first one. For those that enjoy, there’s a Juve one on Netflix.
  • Stig said:

I don't remember that, but I do remember the documentary about John Sitton at Orient. As a young man watching that, I learnt absolutely nothing about football but I did add to my vocabulary.

I must have seen this clip a thousand times now, I still no idea what he's going on about.

It's a marvelous piece of conceptual performance art.
  • I've watched the first episode. Enjoyable but I must have been watching Charlton too long as I haven't got a bloody clue what Pep is going on about when he is talking tactics to the players!
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

I must have seen this clip a thousand times now, I still no idea what he's going on about.

It's a marvelous piece of conceptual performance art.
    Sitton was a proper nutter, this isn't even the best part of that show!

The premiere moment was when he sacked one of his players, Terry Howard, and then offered another two out for a fight, adding the memorable line, "....and you can bring your fucking dinner and all, cos you're going to fucking need it."

He's now a black cab driver.
  • Another thing for their rivals to laugh about. I was wondering why the filmmakers wanted to do a documentary on their worst season in recent history but then I realised maybe they originally expected Sunderland to get promoted back to the top flight in sensational style :joy:
  • I quite enjoyed it. Can’t believe Aguero has been in the country 7 years and can’t speak a word of English.
  • DA9DA9
    edited August 2018
    Seen 4-5 episodes so far, Brandon the kit man is the star of the show, the cryo chamber moment is very funny, he’s akin to that Billy fella at Chelsea
  • I quite enjoyed it. Can’t believe Aguero has been in the country 7 years and can’t speak a word of English.

I can – think Tevez was the same as well, and don’t think that Suarez can speak much English either.
  • It is a really good watch. It's an incredible set up they have. Would be interesting if they did one at a league 2 in just to show the reality of what most other clubs get by on.

One observation though is that life in Manchester must be bloody hard judging by the state of the fans!
  • Really surprised it’s been so well received. It feels like a PR piece designed for the overseas market. I wonder if Man City had any post production editorial control.
    Too slick and way too long.
    Nothing really happens, no controversy and we don’t really learn anything about the people in it.
    It’s beautifully shot but that’s the problem. It’s too polished for me.