Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Political correctness gone mad!

ScoSco
edited October 2008 in General Charlton
From the OS:

A consultation period with the fans is to take place to question whether the use of the nickname "Addicks" is appropriate in the modern age.

Chief Executive Steve Waggot explained: "In light of recent debate in South Africa of the use of the Sprinbok logo for rugby we felt it time to review the historic social aspects of Charlton to make sure that we ourselves are representing the modern age. Figures show that about 15% of our crowd are vegetarians which is about 1500 people were are potentially offending with the slightly outdated name "The Addicks."

"The story behind the nickname being that a local fishmonger used to nail a haddock to a stick and shout "Up the 'addicks" is not quite the representation we want associated with the club as we strive to push on to the next phase of its development - primarily to get back in the Premiership. We of course will consult our fan base and it seems ideal that this action co-insides with the formation of the new Fans Forum."

The consultation period will begin after the first meeting of the fans forum:

www.cafc.co.uk/newsitem324.html

WTF?

Comments

• can you use a different word than mad please
  • I'm all for a change, something new and exciting like an animal, say the Sharks, Lions and Eagles.

I'll be pushing this forward in the next couple of months
  • I'll send back my season ticket if this happens. Disgusting disregard for our heritage but what can you expect when you have a non-Charlton person as CEO. Bring back Peter Varney!
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm all for a change, something new and exciting like an animal, say the Sharks, Lions and Eagles.

I'll be pushing this forward in the next couple of months

You've gotta be kidding? Have they spoke to you about this?
  • edited October 2008
    Spoke to Steve Waggott, he was pushed into it by the Previous Fans director, who wanted a legacy for his two years.
  • Is it April the 1st, so Man Utd are called 'Devils' thats ok... arsenal 'Gunners' Sheff Utd 'Blades' wepons and evil are fine, but tradtional HISTORY is not??? So we the Valiants now (even tho port vale are called that) ok so what about the robbins... DOH Bristol City, Swindon, Altringham..... Is a badge change on the way too....
  • Come off it, this has to be a wind up... although, its not April yet is it??
  • "15% of our crowd are vegetarians"...

...And 10% of them are forced to be veggie due to the lack of filling in the pies...
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Is it April the 1st, so Man Utd are called 'Devils' thats ok... arsenal 'Gunners' Sheff Utd 'Blades' wepons and evil are fine, but tradtional HISTORY is not??? So we the Valiants now (even tho port vale are called that) ok so what about the robbins... DOH Bristol City, Swindon, Altringham..... Is a badge change on the way too....

Check the link - there's more to it than this!
  • I f***ed the link up:

I kid you not
  • Sponsored links:

• Ha ha got to be a joke surely. Who would be offended by us singing come on you addicks. We don't even sing that anyway
  • I can't believe it Sco - you'd have thought at the moment they'd have better things to worry about???
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Spoke to Steve Waggott, he was pushed into it by the Previous Fans director, who wanted a legacy for his two years.

Not true. I violently opposed this idea and thought it had died a death like the move to Twickenham. Disgusted that it has come up again.
  • Badge change as well, to make us more street, it's going to be based on this, and designed by banksy

article-0-0213C046000004B0-410_224x423.jpg
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not true. I violently opposed this idea and thought it had died a death like the move to Twickenham. Disgusted that it has come up again.

Am I the only person that didn't know about this. I'm a veggie and I find it more offensive to suggest that I'd be offended.

This is tosh.
  • edited October 2008
    I agree about the whole causing offence to veggies idea. Let's pick a completely non offensive nickname.....my vote is for 'crusaders'.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Badge change as well, to make us more street, it's going to be based on this, and designed by banksy

article-0-0213C046000004B0-410_224x423.jpg

But surely that will upset the veggies even more?? Not sure the police will like it much, either...
  • edited October 2008
    Who cares if some nutty old fish seller stuck a bit of flat-fish on a bit of 2x4 and shouted about it...
  • Clearly not that much of issue then.

Let's moan about Pardew instead.
  • i think we should adopt the bunny as our club badge and name. I mean the rest of the world sees as harmless and all loverly and fluffy. People like fluffy bunnies.

that cant offend anyone , which is after all our primory function.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wind up alert.....
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I agree about the whole causing offence to veggies idea. Let's pick a completely non offensive nickname.....my vote is for 'crusaders'.

and sign an agreement with the team already called crusaders in Ireland?!?? we could share players! great idea.
  • i suggest for saturday we all turn up with our fish nailed to a nice bit of 2 by 4 !!! make a stand for the addicks... Follow the Addick.... Let us all lift are poles with dead fish on and rejoyce!!!!

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/life460.jpg
  • edited October 2008
    imageimage
  • Ha ha ha ha!

Nice wind up.
  • Will leather shoes be banned as well?
  • what about being known as the 'nomadics' to represent our more recent homeless history.
  • well cant walk on egg shells it might upset the vegans
  • We certainly don't offend the fans of other clubs by beating their teams.

About time the club did something about this Addicks thing, perhaps they could encourage the consumption of Organic Haddock by its fan base. The North Atlantic cod stocks collapsed by over fishing, I know that Newfoundland Athletic abandoned cod and instead nailed a skunk to a pole instead. Bloody stank worse than the fish, but it's the thought that counts.
  • as long as it is dolphin friendly haddock.