Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    What is noticeable is that the solutions hard Brexiters give to serious issues are the sort of solutions my mum's cleaner gives. Just get on with it, it will sort itself out! And if there are easy solutions that will be solved by getting on with it, the government won't need any extensions. So Rees Mogg and his cronies opposing something that if they are right shouldn't be needed are admitting it isn't easy in an indirect way! That's the closest you will get from those absolute clowns.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I marched in 2003 in the largest anti war march in history. Well over 6 million in Europe joined me, which was nice.
    But futile.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Oh.......and Macron got my goat earlier saying that the problem was now a political one ( re TM & her Government)....

no it isn't you french numpty !! Its because years of fighting between 2 sides of Ireland were solved by the GFA......and that Treaty said somthing along the lines of there shouldnt be a border between the 2 countries.

blame Tony Blair.

Oh.......and Macron got my goat earlier saying that the problem was now a political one ( re TM & her Government)....

no it isn't you french numpty !! Its because years of fighting between 2 sides of Ireland were solved by the GFA......and that Treaty said somthing along the lines of there shouldnt be a border between the 2 countries.

blame Tony Blair.

The IRA have won...
    I may have overstepped the mark by that comment ........I should have said terrorism has won.
  • Options
    Alistair Campbell was on fine form last night on This Week. Andrew Neil virtually got into a slanging match with him.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

blame Tony Blair.

Perhaps an earlier Prime Minister in David Lloyd George might also take some responsibility way back in 1921 when he built the first border ?
  • Options
    I look forward to JRM as PM as he has all the qualities needed:

He speaks slowly
    He wears a double breasted suit
    He has a large private income and understands hedge funds
    He doesn't raise his voice
    He understands Latin
    He takes good care of his nanny
    He doesn't have self doubt
    He gives his children obscure names
    He has strong religious beliefs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

You forgot Eton educated.

• Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Sorry.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Sorry.
    I thought it was implied
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

He probably has SOMEBODY ELSE who understands hedge funds for him.
  • Options

blame Tony Blair.

Just to remind you that the fighting was not between the two sides of Ireland. It was between two communities within Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kindom. The PIRA, UVF etc were made up of citizens of the United Kingdom (there were probably a minority of Irish born citizens in the PIRA but the vast majority were British citizens).
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to be "educated" anymore. Fwiw I know JRM will never be PM because of the way he speaks so its all academic (see what I did there) anyway.

Katie Price for PM !!!
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Good shout....she could do with a chauffeur at the minute.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to be "educated" anymore. Fwiw I know JRM will never be PM because of the way he speaks so its all academic (see what I did there) anyway.

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Because of the way he speaks? Unlike David Cameron for example?
  • Options

What is noticeable is that the solutions hard Brexiters give to serious issues are the sort of solutions my mum's cleaner gives. Just get on with it, it will sort itself out! And if there are easy solutions that will be solved by getting on with it, the government won't need any extensions. So Rees Mogg and his cronies opposing something that if they are right shouldn't be needed are admitting it isn't easy in an indirect way! That's the closest you will get from those absolute clowns.

Is your mum's cleaner Nadine Dorries?

• Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!
    It’s not how he speaks but what he says
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I would suggest that the majority of the countries finest politics teachers will be fighting to get a position there. And have been for well over a century. Certainly if you don't have a very fine academic/sporting/past employment history you won't be taken up for interview.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Are you saying we've never had a PM with a posh voice? Alec Douglas-Home (a member of the aristocracy), Anthony Eden (a member of the aristocracy) - both in my lifetime (Eden just!) and both Old Etonians.

The so-called 'elite' will always run the country - twas ever thus, despite the hopes that leavers had of the little man taking back control.
  • Options
    Good news, but the UK could do all of this within the EU could not not? Certainly agree we need to become an "export driven economy" I know there are attempts to fix this with lots of Innovate UK funding... But stuffing up the automotive industry by leaving the Customs Union isn't going to help.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Fully support the idea that Prime Ministers should be educated. What’s not sitting with me comfortably though is the fact that Eton College is one school in the UK and yet it is disproportionately represented in the House of Commons on the front benches and out of a total of 54 Prime Ministers the staggering figure of 19 were educated at Eton.

Now that’s quite some coincidence or something else is working here.

I will also add that I do worry that too many people equate speaking with a plummy accent as being a sign of intelligence. But the British do still like in the main to doff our caps.

Top positions being filled from The best schools seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    David Folkerts-Landau might fancy himself as somebody, but he hasn't suggested a solution to the Irish border problem.
    The future he thinks will happen depends on a solution.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Good news, but the UK could do all of this within the EU could not not? Certainly agree we need to become an "export driven economy" I know there are attempts to fix this with lots of Innovate UK funding... But stuffing up the automotive industry by leaving the Customs Union isn't going to help.

Not sure he agrees based upon his comment that the EU is too inward looking.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Fully support the idea that Prime Ministers should be educated. What’s not sitting with me comfortably though is the fact that Eton College is one school in the UK and yet it is disproportionately represented in the House of Commons on the front benches and out of a total of 54 Prime Ministers the staggering figure of 19 were educated at Eton.

I will also add that I do worry that too many people equate speaking with a plummy accent as being a sign of intelligence. But the British do still like in the main to doff our caps.

You might imagine that such selection would lead to the best quality applicants. Take a look at our 'top' politicians; it doesn't seem to be working.
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!

Eton is the most exclusive school, the hardest to get in to, but it is not the best school.

The best school is Westminster School - 150 years since a PM was educated there, and second is St Paul's - 250 years since a PM was educated there!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!