Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

I look forward to JRM as PM as he has all the qualities needed:

He speaks slowly
    He wears a double breasted suit
    He has a large private income and understands hedge funds
    He doesn't raise his voice
    He understands Latin
    He takes good care of his nanny
    He doesn't have self doubt
    He gives his children obscure names
    He has strong religious beliefs

You forgot Eton educated.

sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to be "educated" anymore. Fwiw I know JRM will never be PM because of the way he speaks so its all academic (see what I did there) anyway.

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Fully support the idea that Prime Ministers should be educated. What’s not sitting with me comfortably though is the fact that Eton College is one school in the UK and yet it is disproportionately represented in the House of Commons on the front benches and out of a total of 54 Prime Ministers the staggering figure of 19 were educated at Eton.

Now that’s quite some coincidence or something else is working here.

I will also add that I do worry that too many people equate speaking with a plummy accent as being a sign of intelligence. But the British do still like in the main to doff our caps.

Top positions being filled from The best schools seems reasonable to me.
    You might imagine that such selection would lead to the best quality applicants. Take a look at our 'top' politicians; it doesn't seem to be working.
    The crucial difference between election and appointment...

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Have a chat with these chaps https://www.etoncollege.com/TeachingStaff.aspx
    Nice website... Gum free carpets... Must be a great school. If only they'd let me into the toilets
  • Options

I marched in 2003 in the largest anti war march in history. Well over 6 million in Europe joined me, which was nice.
    But futile.

look on the bright side, those that ignored you last time will be marching along with you now, in fact Mr Campbell is helping to organise it :)
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

Good news, but the UK could do all of this within the EU could not not? Certainly agree we need to become an "export driven economy" I know there are attempts to fix this with lots of Innovate UK funding... But stuffing up the automotive industry by leaving the Customs Union isn't going to help.

Not sure he agrees based upon his comment that the EU is too inward looking.
    Germany is the third largest export economy in the world. The UK is the 10th. In what way is the German export economy inhibited by an inward looking EU?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I marched in 2003 in the largest anti war march in history. Well over 6 million in Europe joined me, which was nice.
    But futile.

look on the bright side, those that ignored you last time will be marching along with you now, in fact Mr Campbell is helping to organise it :)
    Ooh I do hope I get to meet him. I'd like to firmly squeeze his
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm nowhere near qualified enough to argue with him about economics, but I can't help but feel that the Deutsche guy is ignoring political tensions that exist at the moment.

May is out of moves. She walks away from talks with no deal and a hard border or comes back with a deal that involves our participation in the custom union to solve the border issue but unable to agree trade deals elsewhere.

The former will not get voted through parliament, the latter will get through Parliament but will split the conservatives in half and she will be out of a job.

I voted remain but in my view, leaving the Customs Union and being able to negotiate our own trade deals is an absolute must IF Brexit goes ahead.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    David Folerts-Landau seems to be the sort of chap that Brexiters like to listen to. Because he's old and eye-wateringly wealthy - his estimated fortune is around $400m. (He reminds me of another Western European bloke, born in the 1940s, who is also a multi-millionaire. Can't remember his name. But I am not not sure I would follow his advice either).

On June 27, 2012, David Folkerts-Landau spoke before a German parliamentary commission on commodity markets and food price inflation caused by currency speculation. He said that "In developing countries where often up to 90% of the income must be spent on food, price increases of wheat, corn, and soybeans in the years 2007–2008 and 2010–2011 had devastating consequences." He also stated that there was "hardly any sound empirical evidence" that it "led to price increases or higher volatility." However, in earlier research published by his team, it argued that speculation had the possibility of "distorting the normal functioning of the market," which "can have grave consequences for farmers and consumers and is in principle unacceptable." In another research note, it argued that "in some instances speculation might have added to the [commodity] price movement". Does that sound like someone whose predictions and advice it would be wise to follow?

It would be interesting to ask David Folerts-Landau why his employer, Deutsche Bank, are relocating assets from London to Frankfurt. Is he right when he says that the thought that financial services might move from London to Frankfurt is "lunacy"? Or are his employers right by actually doing so?

Of course, no-one knows to what extent London might lose and Frankfurt might gain at its expense, because of Brexit. But David Folerts-Landau should have a good idea, because Deutsche Bank have reached this conclusion in a research piece Regardless of the final outcome of the negotiations between the UK and the EU, the city of Frankfurt is likely to benefit.

I wonder if David Folerts-Landau is familiar with this piece of research: Britain’s exit from the EU will have significant repercussions for politics, the economy and citizens across Europe. One of the biggest impacts will probably be felt in the financial industry and within that by investment banks as the region’s central hub, London, is likely to lose its full access to the single European market. This could have substantial consequences for Britain: at 6.6% of national gross value added, it has the largest financial sector among major European countries, relative to the size of its economy. Financial services exports play a major role – and 44% of them go to the EU. Without the surplus it generates from providing investment banking services to EU customers, Britain’s current account deficit would be 40% higher. He should, at the very least, be aware of this information. It was written by his company.

Deutsche Bank are a wise and authoritative voice in European finance. So, it is of no surprise that they have done considerable research into the effects of Brexit, especially on the prospects of Germany industry. So David Folerts-Landau might like to reflect on the question that Deutsche Bank asked in their first piece of Brexit research. They didn't ask "how will Germany cope?", "how can Germany benefit?" or "what will be the impact?". The question they asked - and answered - was What industrial sectors in Germany are likely to be affected the most strongly by the (expected) weaker growth of the UK economy and the probable depreciation of GBP?. So there it is, in black and white, from the bank that employs him, the clear assumption that Brexit will result in weaker growth in the UK economy.

I wonder if David Folerts-Landau was in the audience when a senior economist said that, during his career, he could not recall a period "as dangerous, as difficult, as stressful" and with "more scope for instabilities as we have currently". And went on to say "we get up and say to ourselves this is a huge challenge and a serious risk". (OK, I will come clean. I know he wasn't in the audience, listening to those words. He was saying them).
  • Options
    Entry onto a university politics course is usually ABB or thereabouts.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

Good news, but the UK could do all of this within the EU could not not? Certainly agree we need to become an "export driven economy" I know there are attempts to fix this with lots of Innovate UK funding... But stuffing up the automotive industry by leaving the Customs Union isn't going to help.

Germany is the third largest export economy in the world. The UK is the 10th. In what way is the German export economy inhibited by an inward looking EU?
    Very true and we shouldn't forget that Holland, France and Italy are in the top 10 (higher than us). But 5 out of the top 10 isn't shoddy at all considering the size of some nations on the list. And when we slip out of it after Brexit, Belgium will take our place!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

But futile.

Is this when you'd be in the Eton toilets?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Dont get me wrong I’m not saying that any of JRM or Cameron or whoever are thick. I’m just saying that not everyone that comes out of Eton is any more clever than someone from the state system. That’s a fact. Your entry into Eton is dependent on the size of your wallet not brain. Scholarship entry is an option these days for a very few and for that Eton can be educationally selective. I would like to see someone argue that it’s not very strange that 19 out of 54 Prime Ministers were old Etonians and although I don’t know the figures I’m willing to bet that if you include holders of the other great offices of state like Chancellor, Foreign Secretary and Home Sectetary then the numbers would be even more astonishing.

It’s another discussion but does seem to point to a fair amount of elitism at least within the Conservative party.

• Options
    Do all politicians do politics at uni then?
  • Options
    Yes it is one individual but he happens to be based with an institution that I know very well that is at the centre of German finance.

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

Not me that said it. But he does state EU not Germany.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

But futile.

I received my best education there, I'll have you know. Amo amas Amat, amamo amatis amant.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

sorry, I forgot you're not allowed to be "educated" anymore. Fwiw I know JRM will never be PM because of the way he speaks so its all academic (see what I did there) anyway.

Katie Price for PM !!!
    Fully support the idea that Prime Ministers should be educated. What’s not sitting with me comfortably though is the fact that Eton College is one school in the UK and yet it is disproportionately represented in the House of Commons on the front benches and out of a total of 54 Prime Ministers the staggering figure of 19 were educated at Eton.

I will also add that I do worry that too many people equate speaking with a plummy accent as being a sign of intelligence. But the British do still like in the main to doff our caps.

Eton is the most exclusive school, the hardest to get in to, but it is not the best school.

The best school is Westminster School - 150 years since a PM was educated there, and second is St Paul's - 250 years since a PM was educated there!
    Anyone from Eltham Green yet?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

David Folerts-Landau seems to be the sort of chap that Brexiters like to listen to. Because he's old and eye-wateringly wealthy - his estimated fortune is around $400m. (He reminds me of another Western European bloke, born in the 1940s, who is also a multi-millionaire. Can't remember his name. But I am not not sure I would follow his advice either).

On June 27, 2012, David Folkerts-Landau spoke before a German parliamentary commission on commodity markets and food price inflation caused by currency speculation. He said that "In developing countries where often up to 90% of the income must be spent on food, price increases of wheat, corn, and soybeans in the years 2007–2008 and 2010–2011 had devastating consequences." He also stated that there was "hardly any sound empirical evidence" that it "led to price increases or higher volatility." However, in earlier research published by his team, it argued that speculation had the possibility of "distorting the normal functioning of the market," which "can have grave consequences for farmers and consumers and is in principle unacceptable." In another research note, it argued that "in some instances speculation might have added to the [commodity] price movement". Does that sound like someone whose predictions and advice it would be wise to follow?

It would be interesting to ask David Folerts-Landau why his employer, Deutsche Bank, are relocating assets from London to Frankfurt. Is he right when he says that the thought that financial services might move from London to Frankfurt is "lunacy"? Or are his employers right by actually doing so?

Of course, no-one knows to what extent London might lose and Frankfurt might gain at its expense, because of Brexit. But David Folerts-Landau should have a good idea, because Deutsche Bank have reached this conclusion in a research piece Regardless of the final outcome of the negotiations between the UK and the EU, the city of Frankfurt is likely to benefit.

I wonder if David Folerts-Landau is familiar with this piece of research: Britain’s exit from the EU will have significant repercussions for politics, the economy and citizens across Europe. One of the biggest impacts will probably be felt in the financial industry and within that by investment banks as the region’s central hub, London, is likely to lose its full access to the single European market. This could have substantial consequences for Britain: at 6.6% of national gross value added, it has the largest financial sector among major European countries, relative to the size of its economy. Financial services exports play a major role – and 44% of them go to the EU. Without the surplus it generates from providing investment banking services to EU customers, Britain’s current account deficit would be 40% higher. He should, at the very least, be aware of this information. It was written by his company.

Deutsche Bank are a wise and authoritative voice in European finance. So, it is of no surprise that they have done considerable research into the effects of Brexit, especially on the prospects of Germany industry. So David Folerts-Landau might like to reflect on the question that Deutsche Bank asked in their first piece of Brexit research. They didn't ask "how will Germany cope?", "how can Germany benefit?" or "what will be the impact?". The question they asked - and answered - was What industrial sectors in Germany are likely to be affected the most strongly by the (expected) weaker growth of the UK economy and the probable depreciation of GBP?. So there it is, in black and white, from the bank that employs him, the clear assumption that Brexit will result in weaker growth in the UK economy.

I wonder if David Folerts-Landau was in the audience when a senior economist said that, during his career, he could not recall a period "as dangerous, as difficult, as stressful" and with "more scope for instabilities as we have currently". And went on to say "we get up and say to ourselves this is a huge challenge and a serious risk". (OK, I will come clean. I know he wasn't in the audience, listening to those words. He was saying them).

Say what you like but he is not an idiot like Johnson or Rees Mogg.

Knowing the company very well, I can assure you that he would not be making such statements without having first run them past the board of Deutsche Bank.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Dont get me wrong I’m not saying that any of JRM or Cameron or whoever are thick. I’m just saying that not everyone that comes out of Eton is any more clever than someone from the state system. That’s a fact. Your entry into Eton is dependent on the size of your wallet not brain. Scholarship entry is an option these days for a very few and for that Eton can be educationally selective. I would like to see someone argue that it’s not very strange that 19 out of 54 Prime Ministers were old Etonians and although I don’t know the figures I’m willing to bet that if you include holders of the other great offices of state like Chancellor, Foreign Secretary and Home Sectetary then the numbers would be even more astonishing.

It’s another discussion but does seem to point to a fair amount of elitism at least within the Conservative party.

Look how far back these PM s from Eton go. Not much competition then, and still today they have the top department/top3/5? In the country. The average loaded Eton thicko won't get into a level politics without 5As +4Bs at GCSE in a bad year.
  • Options
    This will be my sole contribution to this monstrous nasty thread

The way the leave mandate has been handled is the same way my apprentices handle any task they'd rather not do. They make as bigger dogs dinner of it as possible and will resolutely stick at making a dogs dinner in the hope I would lose my patience and stop them from doing whatever it was I asked them to do.

I really don't think we will leave now, amazingly the decision is a bit more grey than the black and white choice given to the electorate of leave and remain. Either by way of another referendum giving the conclusion of remain or a deal being shoved through that keeps everything in place and 'brexit' being only in name.

Ireland had multiple referendums on joining the euro before the politicians eventually got the result they wanted.

For what it's worth I agree with the idea of a union, why wouldn't i? I absolutely oppose the formation of a European state, the gravy train and the associated costs of the EU

What the leave vote highlighted was that people are pissed off, more so than ever with politicians and used the referendum as an opportunity to send a fuck off to the government, who I thought were insane to go through with the referendum however that just proved their ignorance of issues that they either pretended didn't exist or called people who had the issues bigots.

May is fucked at the moment, Corbyn is no help as a credible opposition as he's completely unelectable and besides that if you injected a truth serum into him he would say he is against the EU, whereas if you did the same to May she would say she is in favour.

We have to have another referendum with no campaign on either side, just a choice of leaving and knowing more about the potential mayhem that might follow or pressing the reset button and remaining in the EU. Either way it has to be put to bed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/19/tory-rightwingers-seek-to-embarrass-may-over-high-powered-rifles-ban

Oh dear, leave or remain, surely we can all get behind members of the public not needing a sniper rifle!
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Look how far back these PM s from Eton go. Not much competition then, and still today they have the top department/top3/5? In the country. The average loaded Eton thicko won't get into a level politics without 5As +4Bs at GCSE in a bad year.
    All true but it’s still quite amazing that when David Cameron was PM. George Osborne was Chancellor and both from Eton.

I don’t care what anybody says I won’t not be convinced that somewhere there is quite a significant old boys network ensuring that Eton is always highly represented in government.

• Options

Huskaris said:

But futile.

I received my best education there, I'll have you know. Amo amas Amat, amamo amamus amatis amant.
    Corrected for you.

Now, write out Romani ite domum a hundred times. And if it's not done by the morning, I'll cut your balls off.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

But futile.

I received my best education there, I'll have you know. Amo amas Amat, amamo amamus amatis amant.
    Corrected for you.

Now, write out Romani ite domum a hundred times. And if it's not done by the morning, I'll cut your balls off.
    I genuinely was waiting for Keith to correct it.
  • Options
    Stig said:

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!

You might imagine that such selection would lead to the best quality applicants. Take a look at our 'top' politicians; it doesn't seem to be working.
    Maybe the alternative is even worse?
  • Options
    The thickest students from the roughest school on the country would be better than the current government and opposition!
  • Options

He speaks slowly
    He understands Latin

Katie Price for PM !!!

Do you really believe that ex Eton schoolboys are the cream of the British intelligentsia or do you perhaps want to consider that they are just a random cross section of the intelligence range that can be found at any state school but because their parents can afford the £40 k plus fees per Year !!!!!! It gives them an incredible advantage in life ?
    I think its a bit of both, do Eton accept anyone who can pay, or does academic ability come into entrance as well? I'm honestly not sure, but I imagine it does.

I'm not sure how it can be avoided, private schools can attract the best teachers as they can pay the best wages, the only solution would be to ban fee paying schools, that's never going to happen though.

I work for a privatew school with zero scholarships, so obviously our students are all from very wealthy families and get a clear advantage in life, I just don't see how it can be avoided.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!