Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jamie Ward’s goal

The skill involved in chesting down an 80yd ball IN FRONT OF YOU really is something else.

Brilliant skill

Comments

• It was quality. For me, it’s the fact that so many players balls that type of chance up when they have time.
  • A very nice goal. A near impossible thing to do is to chest down and control at that pace/height. He was lucky he had so much space as he did chest it down a fair few yards in front of him.
  • The report I read said he lobbed the ball over the goalie following a slightly heavy touch !
  • edited November 2018
    I thought at the time, and still do, that Ward was possibly offside & also that their keeper should have been quicker off his line . Ward's chest trap took the ball a long way in front of him & shouldn't have been able to reach it again.

But it was a bloody excellent finish.
  • The skill involved in chesting down an 80yd ball IN FRONT OF YOU really is something else.

Brilliant skill

Pretty sure he said in his interview that it hit his chin and rolled down his thigh, I’ll take it though!
  • A very nice goal. A near impossible thing to do is to chest down and control at that pace/height. He was lucky he had so much space as he did chest it down a fair few yards in front of him.

Wouldn't say it was lucky, he made the run off the back of the defence and knew that all he had in front of him was the goalie. It allowed him to sprint onto it rather than have to slow down.

He's a quality little player, he thinks so much quicker than anyone else on that team and takes the risks that others are so reticent to take. Gutted if he leaves in Jan
  • Route number 1

Wouldn't say it was lucky, he made the run off the back of the defence and knew that all he had in front of him was the goalie. It allowed him to sprint onto it rather than have to slow down.

He's a quality little player, he thinks so much quicker than anyone else on that team and takes the risks that others are so reticent to take. Gutted if he leaves in Jan
    No true, I more meant the control itself isn't brilliant but looks better because of the space. I agree with Golfie that it was a long way and the indecisiveness of the keeper helped.
  • I thought at the time, and still do, that Ward was possibly offside & also that their keeper should have been quicker off his line . Ward's chest trap took the ball a long way in front of him & shouldn't have been able to reach it again.

But it was a bloody excellent finish.

From what I remember Ward was in our half when the ball was passed. I agree with your comment about their keeper, if that was Steer in goal I would be questioning his positioning. The Bristol Rovers manager was rightfully going ballistic against that goal went in. We’ve seen Steer do that plenty of times this season, and they failed to prepare from our dangerous counter attacks.

However, the goal and the pass were of the highest quality and Ward showed his ice cool composure to lob the keeper.
  • I was quite embarrassed for the Rovers Defenders

I know Centre Backs arent usually quick (Is what made Joe Gomez so good at such a young age) but to be out paced by an aging Midfielder who admits his fitness isnt great isnt a good thing is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Keeper was shockingly slow to come out
  • Keeper was shockingly slow to come out

Agreed. Taking nothing away from Ward as he took the chance presented to him brilliantly but the keeper easily could have prevented the goal by being quicker to come out and close down the space. Not like it all happened very fast, from the moment Steer launches it there keeper should have seen the situation unfolding and reacted but he waited until Ward controlled it which was too late.
  • Numbers said:

Definitely not offside, he was about 3 or 4 yards inside our half and running when the ball was kicked so from that clip he looks like he is off but actually nowhere near

I had no idea as like the TV camera I only started watching Ward when he was sprinting clear, but none of the Brizzle players complained which says it all.
  • edited November 2018

Numbers said:

Definitely not offside, he was about 3 or 4 yards inside our half and running when the ball was kicked so from that clip he looks like he is off but actually nowhere near

I had no idea as like the TV camera I only started watching Ward when he was sprinting clear, but none of the Brizzle players complained which says it all.
    Also, I would have said that judging by his momentum when the camera picks him up, he had started running from inside our half?
  • Ward starting running from the edge of our box as soon as Steer jumped for the ball. Clearly on-side.

Can't believe people are saying the touch was lucky or the keeper was to blame. Charlton player shows a great bit of skill and scores and it gets dismissed.

Ward's touch was sublime. If the keeper had been 15 yards closer Ward would have lobbed him first time or just knocked it past him. The keeper should be blaming the two defenders who let a 32 year old out run them, not himself.

To be fair Jamie himself has admitted that...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bf99b2a855cb/jamie-ward-all-credit-goes-to-jed

Speaking of his touch to bring the ball down in the classy route-one move, Ward laughed: “What do you mean by a bit of class?! It hit my chin, hit my chest and rolled onto my thigh!
  • fuck me we have come far now we are having threads on individual goals - certainly a feel good atmosphere around the club atm, apart from wankchops owning us

• Can't believe people are saying the touch was lucky or the keeper was to blame. Charlton player shows a great bit of skill and scores and it gets dismissed.

Correct - reminds me of the time when JJ got his 50th goal for us. The first player In one hell of a long time to do that. People here were debating it because one looked a little bit iffy.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Don't blame the oppo keeper at all. At which point should he have started coming out? I'd argue the earliest he can make that call is after the touch, but by that point he's in no man's land if he gets to the edge of the area, with no guarantee he can use his hands before Ward can touch it again. It's easy to say in hindsight that he could have come out, but he doesn't know that as the moment unfolds. Anything else would have been a gamble. The touch Ward took, regardless of how intentional it was, was devilish for the keeper.

When I was little I used to play in goal and March51 used to say to me "it went past 10 other players before it got to you, if they have a go, ask them where the hell were they?" and that feels very applicable here!

Whenever he feels comfortable doing so #ManLoveRulesOK
  • Stewart said:

Can't believe people are saying the touch was lucky or the keeper was to blame. Charlton player shows a great bit of skill and scores and it gets dismissed.

Correct - reminds me of the time when JJ got his 50th goal for us. The first player In one hell of a long time to do that. People here were debating it because one looked a little bit iffy.
    You mean, literally scored by Therry Racon?
  • That was a beautiful goal. He sprints so far, then controls the ball perfectly to set himself up...but the best thing is the finish. After bursting a lung to get there, he still has the composure to chip the keeper, when a lot of other players would have panicked and blasted it over. So clever. He made that look very easy. Great ball from steer too obviously.
  • Ward starting running from the edge of our box as soon as Steer jumped for the ball. Clearly on-side.

Ward's touch was sublime. If the keeper had been 15 yards closer Ward would have lobbed him first time or just knocked it past him. The keeper should be blaming the two defenders who let a 32 year old out run them, not himself.

To be fair Jamie himself has admitted that...

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bf99b2a855cb/jamie-ward-all-credit-goes-to-jed

Speaking of his touch to bring the ball down in the classy route-one move, Ward laughed: “What do you mean by a bit of class?! It hit my chin, hit my chest and rolled onto my thigh!
    Looked pretty classy to me! I think ward's being too modest and a bit self depreciating there!
  • I've watched it a few times on repeat and it's a fantastic goal. Ward knows the route he's going to run and Steer scans the field very quickly to launch an absolute bomb straight to him on the run. The touch had a tad of luck as Ward himself admitted, but isn't that the case with a lot of very very good goals?

Someone said something about their defenders being outpaced - well, it's not like Ward is slow. He has a low centre of gravity and if you're not expecting the Route One hit, I can understand being caught flat-footed.
  • It was an amazing goal but can people stop saying he chipped it? It was clearly a lob - you cannot chip a bouncing ball.
  • Leuth said:

Stewart said:

You mean, literally scored by Therry Racon?
    Yes you leave it. It was JJ’s goal.

• edited November 2018
    Anyone who does or ever has played football will know how difficult that touch would be, superb goal and initiative all round, the long ball seems to be demonised for some bizarre reason, but when used correctly and skilfully it should be congratulated! Well played Wardy.