Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Soros

I'm only rich because I know when I'm wrong

George Soros has been named as the FT's Man of the Year. I will admit I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he escaped Nazism, left Hungary to live, study and work in London, made a great deal of money with successive hedge funds, successfully backed against sterling during the ERM crisis, is an extremely generous philanthropist, has given billions of dollars to various liberal organisations through his Open Society Foundation, I had to pretend to be him in a commercial property auction in around 1990 and (this is the bit that makes me think that, in general terms, he's probably a good egg) Nigel Farage hates him.

So, what does the pool of unlimited Charlton Life knowledge make of George Soros? The "biggest danger to the entire western world"? Or Man of the Year?

Comments

• Chizz said:

George Soros has been named as the FT's Man of the Year. I will admit I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he escaped Nazism, left Hungary to live, study and work in London, made a great deal of money with successive hedge funds, successfully backed against sterling during the ERM crisis, is an extremely generous philanthropist, has given billions of dollars to various liberal organisations through his Open Society Foundation, I had to pretend to be him in a commercial property auction in around 1990 and (this is the bit that makes me think that, in general terms, he's probably a good egg) Nigel Farage hates him.

So, what does the pool of unlimited Charlton Life knowledge make of George Soros? The "biggest danger to the entire western world"? Or Man of the Year?

man of the year.

Not sure i'd count far right dictators in eastern europe as "the entire western world", but he certainly is a threat to them.
  • He loved Britain so much after being given an education and receiving money from a Quaker charity whilst living here, he almost brought Sterling to its metaphorical knees by betting against it during the ERM fiasco.
    He is just another interfering, arrogant, unelected multi billionaire who uses his money and the fact that many people, even nations, are scared of him and the financial power he can exert to get his own way.
    FT man of the year ? .. the FT is all about money and you would not expect it to vote for a pauper as 'the man' .. I have no respect for and do not trust Gorge Soros one iota.

Womp womp
  • edited December 2018

He loved Britain so much after being given an education and receiving money from a Quaker charity whilst living here, he almost brought Sterling to its metaphorical knees by betting against it during the ERM fiasco.
    He is just another interfering, arrogant, unelected multi billionaire who uses his money and the fact that many people, even nations, are scared of him and the financial power he can exert to get his own way.
    FT man of the year ? .. the FT is all about money and you would not expect it to vote for a pauper as 'the man' .. I have no respect for and do not trust Gorge Soros one iota.

Womp womp
    whatever that means .. can't you speak proper(ly) ?
  • To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?
  • edited December 2018

To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?

Like rothschild back in the napoleanic wars, his only real crime is being jewish and making money. Anyone else would have done exactly the same thing
  • To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?

Like rothschild back in the napoleanic wars, his only real crime is being jewish and making money. Anyone else would have done exactly the same thing
    And they'd get called out in the exact same way, by most people.
  • edited December 2018

To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?

Which isn't an excuse...

That said it's really important to understand that here in the States Soros has long been a cutout for "Evil leftist Jewish bankers trying to control the media and the world" as kent alludes to above.

This is from the week when Soros was targeted with a pipe bomb by a Trump supporter. Trump, like pretty much the entire right wing in this country, has demonized (and spent decades demonizing) Soros.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/24/george-soros-antisemitism-bomb-attacks

The following week, a man walked in to a Pittsburgh synagogue and opened fire.

He seemingly believes that George Soros was funding a migrant caravan coming to invade the United States. It was something Donald Trump tweeted about and referenced constantly. Adam Serwer broke this out well.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/caravan-lie-sparked-massacre-american-jews/574213/

I'm not one for "All hail our benevolent philanthropic Billionaires." And not all attacks on Soros are antisemitic. But I think it's really important to understand that George Soros, in this country, has become symbolic for so much more.

Them Tories really do know how run an economy. We keep voting them back in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Ummmmmmm, I feel like you buried the lede here mate.
  • SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

I was involved on the very fringes of the commercial property auction market in the late 80s and early 90s and, as such, would attend lots of auctions and got to know most of the characters involved. One time, the auctioneer sought me out a few minutes prior to the auction starting. He explained that, as part of the preamble to that day's auction, he was going to mention a few "important" people who were in attendance that day. And, just to pique everyone's attention and cause some interest in the room (and, perhaps, some post-auction newspaper inches) he was going to announce how good it was to see George Soros in the room. He told me that he was going to wave in my general direction as he did so, to make his announcement seem more believable; but to ask me to stand near a pillar in the room.

He did so and everyone in the room (probably a couple of hundred people) craned their necks to see "George Soros", only to be disappointed and puzzled in equal measure when they saw only me.

I won't say who the auctioneer was, but in his defence, he could hardly be accused of attempting to mislead: he could not have picked anyone in the room that day that looked less like George Soros.
  • Needs shooting,then blowing up,then hanging and then burning
  • Bogeyman for certain people - he may end up replacing the EU in this role even though a lot of people hadn't heard of him until recently: they will become convinced that he is the source of all their problems.
  • edited December 2018
  • edited December 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/why-wont-nigel-farage-answer-my-brexit-questions

Investigation on here on how Soros allegedly funds the far right.

This article says the exact opposite. In fact, the article is completely contradictory both in fact and tone to your post.
  • Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

I was involved on the very fringes of the commercial property auction market in the late 80s and early 90s and, as such, would attend lots of auctions and got to know most of the characters involved. One time, the auctioneer sought me out a few minutes prior to the auction starting. He explained that, as part of the preamble to that day's auction, he was going to mention a few "important" people who were in attendance that day. And, just to pique everyone's attention and cause some interest in the room (and, perhaps, some post-auction newspaper inches) he was going to announce how good it was to see George Soros in the room. He told me that he was going to wave in my general direction as he did so, to make his announcement seem more believable; but to ask me to stand near a pillar in the room.

He did so and everyone in the room (probably a couple of hundred people) craned their necks to see "George Soros", only to be disappointed and puzzled in equal measure when they saw only me.

I won't say who the auctioneer was, but in his defence, he could hardly be accused of attempting to mislead: he could not have picked anyone in the room that day that looked less like George Soros.
  • Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

It was a commercial property auctioneer. So, while you may have seen him on tv (e.g. on Homes Under the Hammer) it wasn't old leather-face
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

It was a commercial property auctioneer. So, while you may have seen him on tv (e.g. on Homes Under the Hammer) it wasn't old leather-face
    Clive Emson
  • I’m surprised so many on Charlton Life profess to support a hedge funder ... seems to go against the general grain on here :wink:

Being serious, the man seems to have done an awful lot of good in recent years, and if people are now benefiting, that can only be good news.
  • Sponsored links:

• So when is he completing the takeover?
  • How tall is he?
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/why-wont-nigel-farage-answer-my-brexit-questions

This article says the exact opposite. In fact, the article is completely contradictory both in fact and tone to your post.
    Other than the article saying the complete opposite, could you provide some more evidence that Soros doesn't fund the far right
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/why-wont-nigel-farage-answer-my-brexit-questions

Other than the article saying the complete opposite, could you provide some more evidence that Soros doesn't fund the far right
    We're going to have to see 100 pages of evidence that he doesn't fund the far right

We're going to have to see 100 pages of evidence that he doesn't fund the far right
    Fair and reasonable
  • shirty5 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

Clive Emson
    No. No more guesses though!
  • Chizz said:

shirty5 said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

Clive Emson
    No. No more guesses though!
  • six fecking flags are you sure !
  • six fecking flags are you sure !

calling for some one to be murdered and mutilated will get that kind of reaction
  • get a fecking life ---- who was i "calling" to ?