Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• edited January 2019
    andyg90 said:

A night trip to Belgium as organised here; a 4 night trip to Tenerife with friends; a possible hike in Iceland, been asked to go Vegas but don’t think I will, summer hols prob in cornwall, Devon or Wales; and Lapland just before Xmas next year is my lot I think.

Any tips on a cottage near the sea and/or on a farm in one of above locations with 3+ bedrooms and availability in summer hols I would certainly be interested to hear from.

Have a look at Hill Farm Cottages in Torrington, Exeter. Just south of Barnstaple.
    Not too far from the beach, cottages on a functional farm. It has been a few years since I’ve been but was a family favourite for a solid 8 consecutive years.
    Thank you, will take a look.

Last summer we stayed at animal Ark Cottages - http://www.animalarkcottages.co.uk the week before schools went back. It was great value- I think something like £700 for the place which had space for 6. The kids helped on the farm and the people there were lovely. Just a bit too far from the beach and I generally never return to the same place
  • Just bookend week in Algarve, first non UK caravan summer holiday for a couple of years so super excited a d kids jumping up and down!

Nothing probably, kids are school age now and I can't afford £3000+ on a week's holiday in Spain.

Or £2,000 on a few days in Camber Sands come to that.

Might manage a weekend or two camping with them maybe.

I feel your pain @North Lower Neil all that to sleep on the settee as well!

What id say is I find Jet2Holidays the best value, the one we’ve booked was available with Jet2, Tui and First Choice. The same 7 night holiday has worked out about 28-30% cheaper with Jet2. Which for 6 of us is a huge amount difference. Tui flights were with EasyJet as well.
    Cheers mate, will bear that in mind if I manage to save enough!!

• Considering going to Paphos later in the year, never been but looks worth a visit.
  • Moon Palace Cancun for a fortnight of indulgence for my 15th anniversary in July

Can’t wait
  • Swisdom said:

Moon Palace Cancun for a fortnight of indulgence for my 15th anniversary in July

Can’t wait

Very Jealous. One of the nicest hotels I’ve managed to stay in. You won’t want to leave.
  • Swisdom said:

Moon Palace Cancun for a fortnight of indulgence for my 15th anniversary in July

Can’t wait

If you want to get serious brownie points with the Mrs, get a taxi up the strip and go to Tempo, the only Michelin starred restaurant in Cancun.

The tasting menu will only set up back about £40-50 per head and the food is stunning (well it was when we went in 2015!)
  • LA and Vegas in February.
    Bali in April.
    Ibiza in August.

An expensive year ahead!!
  • Laddick01 said:

Swisdom said:

Can’t wait

Very Jealous. One of the nicest hotels I’ve managed to stay in. You won’t want to leave.
    @Laddick01 we went not long after we got married (before we had kids) and loved it so when we couldn’t decide where to go this year it seemed a safe and great option.

@JohnBoyUK I’ll recommend that place to her. Will they take kids of 11 and 7 though?

• edited January 2019
    Swisdom said:

Laddick01 said:

Swisdom said:

Can’t wait

@Laddick01 we went not long after we got married (before we had kids) and loved it so when we couldn’t decide where to go this year it seemed a safe and great option.

@JohnBoyUK I’ll recommend that place to her. Will they take kids of 11 and 7 though?

You can book my email. Just drop them an email and see what they say.

EDIT >> they only accept kids over 12, sorry. Stick them in the kids club for the night lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just bookend week in Algarve, first non UK caravan summer holiday for a couple of years so super excited a d kids jumping up and down!

Nothing probably, kids are school age now and I can't afford £3000+ on a week's holiday in Spain.

I feel your pain @North Lower Neil all that to sleep on the settee as well!

What id say is I find Jet2Holidays the best value, the one we’ve booked was available with Jet2, Tui and First Choice. The same 7 night holiday has worked out about 28-30% cheaper with Jet2. Which for 6 of us is a huge amount difference. Tui flights were with EasyJet as well.
    Noticed on these types of threads that money has obviously been tight for you.
    Really pleased that you and your family can get a bit of guaranteed sun.
    Hope that last sentence hasn't but the bockers on it.
  • Nothing probably, kids are school age now and I can't afford £3000+ on a week's holiday in Spain.

Know where your coming from Neil.
    In a similar position myself ten years ago.
    We managed to scrape together enough money to go an a hoseasons boat in Norfolk. It was shit and pissed down for 4 days.

Can you drive? Do you have a car?
    With £2000 in my pocket, I would be tempted to sling a tent in the boot and jump on the ferry. No planning, just see where you end up each day.
    Aim for Big Robs place.
    Tell him Tony sent you.
  • Nothing probably, kids are school age now and I can't afford £3000+ on a week's holiday in Spain.

Know where your coming from Neil.
    In a similar position myself ten years ago.
    We managed to scrape together enough money to go an a hoseasons boat in Norfolk. It was shit and pissed down for 4 days.

Can you drive? Do you have a car?
    With £2000 in my pocket, I would be tempted to sling a tent in the boot and jump on the ferry. No planning, just see where you end up each day.
    Aim for Big Robs place.
    Tell him Tony sent you.
    My favourite kind of holiday Robbo.
  • That’s very kind of you Robbo, I don’t mean to come across like that as I’m very lucky, just amazed some times at what some people with kids still manage to do. Good luck to them.

If it’s anything like your tipping, I should be packing thermals and a ski hat now :-)
  • Narrowed it down to Portugal or Greece want go 1st week of sept any advice on either? Have looked up villamoura the Tivoli marina is just shy of 1500 pp with flights!!
  • edited January 2019
    Thinking of going to Australia at Christmas, so not sure about a summer holiday, trying to save holidays for that.
  • edited January 2019

That’s very kind of you Robbo, I don’t mean to come across like that as I’m very lucky, just amazed some times at what some people with kids still manage to do. Good luck to them.

Completely agree - we're not on the breadline, own the house etc etc, but now the kids are at school I can't understand how so many people seem to afford/justify a few grand for a week away?

Using Swisdom's Mexico trip above as an example, it sounds amazing, worth the money etc, but I'd imagine if costs the same out of the school holidays as it would cost a parent to take kids to an average package deal in Spain etc.

I get it's supply and demand, but like you AFKA I'm just surprised so many parents manage it, especially with young kids.
  • That’s very kind of you Robbo, I don’t mean to come across like that as I’m very lucky, just amazed some times at what some people with kids still manage to do. Good luck to them.

Completely agree - we're not on the breadline, own the house etc etc, but now the kids are at school I can't understand how so many people seem to afford/justify a few grand for a week away?

Using Swisdom's Mexico trip above as an example, it sounds amazing, worth the money etc, but I'd imagine if costs the same out of the school holidays as it would cost a parent to take kids to an average package deal in Spain etc.

I get it's supply and demand, but like you AFKA I'm just surprised so many parents manage it, especially with young kids.
    Supply and demand sadly. We wanted to recreate our honeymoon which was Las Vegas, LA, fortnight in Hawai’i and a few days in SAN Francisco but that, in school holidays, with 2 kids was around £14k for room only. It’s absurd.

We did a week in Majorca a few years ago in a half term and still managed to do over £2k and we’ve done £1500 at Eurodisney for 5 days so find it easier to have a great holiday in summer holidays, guaranteed weather and it gives me something to look forward to.

We can go stay st my Dad’s place in Looe whenever we want but it always rains and still costs loads to do stuff so this is what we do now.

Ultimately everyone needs a rest and time with the family so just doing something, anything together is the way to go.

Happy hols everyone
  • edited January 2019
    Swisdom said:

That’s very kind of you Robbo, I don’t mean to come across like that as I’m very lucky, just amazed some times at what some people with kids still manage to do. Good luck to them.

Supply and demand sadly. We wanted to recreate our honeymoon which was Las Vegas, LA, fortnight in Hawai’i and a few days in SAN Francisco but that, in school holidays, with 2 kids was around £14k for room only. It’s absurd.

We did a week in Majorca a few years ago in a half term and still managed to do over £2k and we’ve done £1500 at Eurodisney for 5 days so find it easier to have a great holiday in summer holidays, guaranteed weather and it gives me something to look forward to.

We can go stay st my Dad’s place in Looe whenever we want but it always rains and still costs loads to do stuff so this is what we do now.

Ultimately everyone needs a rest and time with the family so just doing something, anything together is the way to go.

Happy hols everyone
    Very true - and I don't want to appear too 'woe is me', we live by the coast so the summer is still lovely with plenty of local things to do with the kids.

Spent a summer last year taking them crabbing, rockpooling, building sandcastles, going to the arcades, having fish and chips on the beach and ice cream on the pier etc etc, and then having a few little weekends away in lieu of a holiday. Think this year will be the same!
  • Also Mexico sounds lovely mate, hope you have a good one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Rockin' Race Rockabilly weekender in Spain start of Feb, Belfast then London mid to end of Feb. Work like stink for 8 months and then plan November & December holidays, depending on what we have saved.
  • Planning to visit a friend in Gothenburg this year but has anyone been there and could say if there's much to see there, or if it is worth staying a bit longer to see Stockholm or even pop over to Denmark?
  • Copenhagen is worth a visit CM. Much cheaper beer too...
  • 2 adults 2 kids (5&8)

10 days all inclusive in Alcudia.

Waterpark included, decent entertainment, lots of pissed up tattooed northerners,
    What’s not to like.

£4200 with first choice
    £3900 with Thomas Cook

£2800 diy with easyJet flights and booking direct with hotel.
  • MrOneLung said:

2 adults 2 kids (5&8)

Waterpark included, decent entertainment, lots of pissed up tattooed northerners,
    What’s not to like.

£4200 with first choice
    £3900 with Thomas Cook

Club Mac?
  • MrOneLung said:

2 adults 2 kids (5&8)

What’s not to like.

£4200 with first choice
    £3900 with Thomas Cook

That is a big price gap and one many would take a gamble on.

Nevertheless, packages exist for good reason:-

1. You are on your own if either supplier fails (admittedly unlikely with EasyJet and Club Mac).

2. (Perhaps more relevant) is if anything goes wrong at the hotel or anyone is ill (always a possibility at the Club Mac (or any hotel) as people don't know how to wash their hands) your contract is with the hotel and resolution is through Spanish law. If you buy a package your contract is with the UK supplier under UK law and is generally sorted quickly and easily.

On the balance of probability, the price differential in this case is probably enough to take that option, but packages exist for a reason - DIY isn't always cheaper and it can backfire.

All that aside, have a great time!

• Wife and I both have very stressful, long hours jobs at the moment so in desperate need of a relaxing break. Looking at March before year end kicks in for me which rules out Apr - July.

We looked at Cape Verde as one of the few places with good climate in March. For a decent (which I think you need in those places) all-inclusive would be over 1k each which feels excessive for just a relaxing break and with other needs for our money (house etc).

So we’ve opted for a week in the new forest in a lovely barn on Air BnB * for £700 total. Looks lovely and I’ve never been to the new forest so very excited for some nice walks, pubs, eating and chilling.

* Used Air BnB twice before (Falmouth and Norfolk) and both places were exceptional, so have high hopes again.

I’m always amazed at how many friends and colleagues I have who stick their family holidays on the credit card without any real idea as to how they’ll pay it off.
  • edited January 2019

MrOneLung said:

2 adults 2 kids (5&8)

What’s not to like.

£4200 with first choice
    £3900 with Thomas Cook

That is a big price gap and one many would take a gamble on.

Nevertheless, packages exist for good reason:-

1. You are on your own if either supplier fails (admittedly unlikely with EasyJet and Club Mac).

2. (Perhaps more relevant) is if anything goes wrong at the hotel or anyone is ill (always a possibility at the Club Mac (or any hotel) as people don't know how to wash their hands) your contract is with the hotel and resolution is through Spanish law. If you buy a package your contract is with the UK supplier under UK law and is generally sorted quickly and easily.

On the balance of probability, the price differential in this case is probably enough to take that option, but packages exist for a reason - DIY isn't always cheaper and it can backfire.

All that aside, have a great time!

Fortunately the above is not necessarily true. Those nasty people at the EU extended the definition of what a package holiday is last year, so if you put together all the elements yourself, on Expedia for example, it is now very likely a package and subject to the same protections as if you'd walked into a Thomas Cook branch in your local high street.

https://citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/claim-compensation-for-a-holiday/

Plus if you do need (free) assistance with a contract that turns out to be exclusively with a foreign contractor you can get a great amount of help from, the UK/EU funded, European Consumer Centre.

https://citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/claim-compensation-for-a-holiday/

Bloody red tape.

Edit - you've also got the protection under S75 Consumer Credit Act if you paid on your credit card.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!