Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton player exits - your painful memories

edited January 2019 in General Charlton
Karlan Grant is set to leave Charlton for Huddersfield Town - which will be disappointing for Charlton fans as it breaks up a great partnership with Lyle Taylor.

Which other players have you been disappointed to see exit the club as they could be seen as a big loss to the team at that time?

Scott Parker is my example - I was gutted when he left for Chelsea as we had a real chance of doing something special that season.

Add your examples below

(this thread is not for debating how big/small a miss Karlan will be, just for other examples)

Comments

• Matt Tees in 1969. Paul Elliott in 1983.

Parker remains the most pointless exit in my view, setting back the club enormously and probably under achieving in his own career subsequently.
  • Parker stands out by a country mile ... what could have been :neutral:
  • Andy Reid going was a big disappointment
  • Sponsored links:

• Scott Parker | Yann Kermorgant

Karlan will join them too as always had belief he'd make it at Charlton and so disappointed his time here is coming to an end
  • Agreed about Yann, 2nd after Parker.
  • There’s been so many but Killer to Derby tops my list.
    Following closely in second is Killer to Gillingham.
  • stonemuse said:

Agreed about Yann, 2nd after Parker.

When Parker left we still had a good solid team, despite a hole in the middle. Yann going tore the heart out of that team and it was downhill from there.
  • edited January 2019
    Allan Simonsen.

The only time I’ve waited outside after a game, just to watch a player leave. I think I was in tears as well.😭
  • Ray Treacy leaving for Swindon Town.... disaster.
  • CAFCsayer said:

stonemuse said:

Agreed about Yann, 2nd after Parker.

When Parker left we still had a good solid team, despite a hole in the middle. Yann going tore the heart out of that team and it was downhill from there.
    That doesn’t change what could have happened. In my mind, the most painful departure ever.
  • 1st killer
    2nd Parker.
    Both hurt for different reasons
  • Parker- such a talent, it came out he refused to play, even now when he’s shown on telly no mention of he’s time at charlton at all
  • Eddie Firmani.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parker, Paul Walsh, Paul Elliot & Di Canio.
  • Parker every time. His greed cost us a place in Europe as we were 4th when he left. Never forgiven. Ever.
  • David Whyte - don't really blame Curbs for letting him go, he didn't really fit into the hard working "all about the team" ethos that characterised or sides in those days, suspect he wasn't the most committed in training either. So talented though, still just him and Morts I've seen playing for us who had that "win a game on their own" potential.

Just felt like a sad waste of a very unique talent.
  • Scott Minto to Chelsea, found out on holiday by teletext. Low point.
  • Parker. I'm still bitter after all these years.
  • Marvin Hinton - to Chelsea
    Mike Bailey - to Wolves
    Paul Walsh - to Luton
    Paul Elliott - to Luton
    Scott Parker - to Chelsea
    Yann - to Bournemouth
    Rhoys Wiggins - to Birmingham
    Dale Stephens - to Brighton
    Michael Morrison - to Birmingham
    Joe Gomez - to Liverpool
    Ademola Lookman - to Everton
    and many, many others I have missed out!