Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2019

Comments

• Options

I have one abiding memory of Bob Woolmer.
    Can anyone guess what it is/do you have the same mental image of him playing ?

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?
    I thought that was Rob Key ...
  • Options

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?
    Lol!!!! I was just about to say the very same along with his bowling action, very high left arm.
  • Options

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?
    Agreed, but not what I always remember him for.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?
    Lol!!!! I was just about to say the very same along with his bowling action, very high left arm.
    Agree again, but not what immediately springs to my mind, when I think of Woolmer.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Chubby, rosy cheeks ?
    Agree again, but not what immediately springs to my mind, when I think of Woolmer.
    It's what springs to my mind when I think of covered end 😂
  • Options
    Come on @Covered End I can wait any longer!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It was to do with his equipment.
  • Options

Riviera said:

It was to do with his equipment.
    Do tell !!!!
  • Options
    His gloves !

He was the first batsman and one of a very few I ever recall wearing those batting gloves, that were like mittens ie no fingers.

In fact I don't recall anyone else ever wearing them, though no doubt they did.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Think Paul downton might have opened in an emergency
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    lolwray said:

Think Paul downton might have opened in an emergency

He may have done but that would have been in his Middlesex days. He made his England debut in 1981 and left Kent in 1979.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

His gloves !

He was the first batsman and one of a very few I ever recall wearing those batting gloves, that were like mittens ie no fingers.

Tony Greig was the first to wear those. Known as the Box Glove and made by St Peter Sports who Greig was contracted to. Greig had a lot of influence over Woolmer, gave him his first cap and got him to sign for Packer.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

His gloves !

Tony Greig was the first to wear those. Known as the Box Glove and made by St Peter Sports who Greiig was contracted to. Greig had a lot of influence over Woolmer, gave him his first cap and got him to sign for Packer.
    Yes. I think I remember Greig wearing them as well.
    But it's Woolmer I visualise wearing them, as clear as it was yesterday.
  • Options
    Here’s a tougher question. Who were the last 6 Kent contracted players to make their England Test debut before Joe?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Here’s a tougher question. Who were the last 6 Kent contracted players to make their England Test debut before Joe?

Tredders
    Key
    Headley
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Chris Cowdrey?
  • Options
    James Tredwell
    Min Patel
    Amjad Khan
    Rob Key
    Geraint Jones
    Mark Ealham
  • Options
    Can't believe I forgot Jones!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Tredwell, Key, Jones and Khan (I didn't get him, this question was posed on my clubs group chat, and I wouldn't have got him in a million years) are correct. Two more to get.
  • Options
    Ed Smith
  • Options
    Dean Headley?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ed Smith

Just one to get.
  • Options
    Ed Smith who I mentioned as opening for England on the other question - but he didn't
  • Options
    Saggers?
  • Options

Saggers?

Yes, one of Blackheath's finest.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Saggers?

Umpires?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Saggers?

Umpires?
    No he was our allocated Kent pro for a season.
  • Options
    http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-cricket-announce-overseas-signing/

Matt Renshaw signed for the early part of the season. We certainly need cover with Joe and Sam at the IPL
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Matt Renshaw an Australian born in Middlesbrough