Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lately i've been mostly cooking........

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
...Beef stew.Jamie Oliver stylee.Perfect for the cold evenings. Done it three times now and goes down a storm with my lot.

Anyone on here turn there hand to a bit of culinary excellence?

Comments

• Yeah, love cooking, kids love this one of his

http://www.jamieoliver.com/rotherham/recipes/7

very quick and easy,

Cut and paste if it dont work.
  • In my 'new' role as baby-carer & house-husband I'm taking great pride in providing my wife with the best of jm cooking. Yesterday I did a sweet & sour that was truly the bollocks.

Chinese fishballs from the asian store in Lyon, coated in batter from the Asian store in Oyonnax, fried for 15 minutes. Add carrots, mange-tout, baby corn cobs, red pepper, pineapple. Sauce made from pineapple juice, tomato paste, honey, sugar, soy sauce.
    I'm sure I've forgotton something.

Monday night I did vegetarian mince in horseradish sauce with chestnuts and roast potatoes.

Btw, fish is my only 'exception' to my vegetarian menu.

Why am I posting this?
  • Love cooking- nothing hugely fancy- as a recently seperated (living on own) chappy- i'll cook a glut of stew- curry- pasta sauce ec and freeze it into man size portions. Loads of fresh veg in it- healthy stuff and economical-

Other thing i love cooking is soups-- so tasty..

Getting hungry now. :-)
  • edited November 2008
    I love 'proper' cooking - but can't stand the daily grind of knocking something up every fookin night (which the wife excels at anyway) so I tend to stick to weekends.

I'm a proper monster when I get going as well - I can cook eight dishes at once, but NEVER want any help - I can't even let someone chop vegetables because they never do them the 'right' (i.e. MY) way.

My specialities are Spanish (natch) and Chinese. It is to my eternal shame that I've never managed to get the wife to like my Paella - its taken me twenty years to get it to the point where I can make it almost in my sleep and eat it by the tubful myself but she just doesn't like it :o( She wolfs down my Szechuan pork and lemon chicken though!
  • Pasta with cheese, because its cheap and easy.
  • I very, very rarely eat out as I can cook better than 90% of so called chefs (in my humble opinion)!!

Anyway for all fellow expats, if you like cooking but miss good old British curries check out this site - I have made a lot of these curries & they are every bit as good as a Friday night, flock wallpaper fest!

Make your own British Restaurant Curries
  • edited November 2008
    Lamb stew for me. Neck/shoulder of lamb, plenty of it, stock, browned with onion, simmered with knorr lamb stock for 1/2 hour, sling in yer root veg and herbs (bay, rosemary), cook til tender then save til following day. Two reasons: it's more tasty and once it goes stone cold you can skim of the hardened fat.

Reheat, chuck in some rosemary or thyme dumplings halfway through. Job done.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Anyway for all fellow expats, if you like cooking but miss good old British curries check out this site - I have made a lot of these curries & they are every bit as good as a Friday night, flock wallpaper fest!

Make your own British Restaurant Curries
    That looks blinding, love cooking a curry, will check it out when there;'s more time!
  • Love cooking but Ive been without a kitchen now for 5 weeks....totally over microwave meals and take away's......and a certain big kitchen fitting company
  • Carrot and coriander soup. It was off the chizain.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Yeah, love cooking, kids love this one of his

http://www.jamieoliver.com/rotherham/recipes/7

very quick and easy,

Cut and paste if it dont work.

I do a very similar Carbonara to that CPL.The mint just gives it that bit extra don't you think.

[cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

Why am I posting this?

Don't be ashamed Jim.Cooking is the new fast car and muscles.Women love a bloke who knows his way around a kitchen.
  • And for anyone whos interested heres that beef stew:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat-recipes/jools-s-favourite-beef-stew

Piece of pish to make.You can chuck in most root vegetables and it tastes delish.
  • im on a diet so you're all doing my head in... i've never eaten so many vegetables... quorn anyone?
  • bread in my bread machine, works out about 70p a loaf and you know exactly what's gone into it. mmmmm
  • Mr RRH simply loves cooking; he had 7 of his work colleagues around last night for dinner so I got home to a fab four course meal!
  • love cooking - especially jamie style!
    latest one was real pizza- making the bread from scratch and the sauce etc - better than the crp u get in p-hutt and the like by miles
    agree with earlier comment about no way can you work and cook (from scratch) every night but tr at least once a week
    rset of the week pot noodles rule ;-)
  • I always cook from scratch every night after work when Ive got a kitchen mate...
  • Jamie's Beef and Guinness pie - With a few roasties and roasted veg.

Lovely.
  • Love cooking!

Stews, fresh soups (butternut squash & parsnip), Fish Pies, Roasts, Cookies, Deserts (made my first meringue recently).

Very rarely go with recipes. Generally free-stylee it in the Kitchen.

Went to catering college in school and wish I'd carried on tbh.

Ho-hum...
  • stick a trotter in with your beef stew - it adds to the stock and tastes boooteeefoool
  • Sponsored links:

• I love cooking chilli con carne and shepherds pie as well as cottage pie I also enjoy cooking Toad in the Hole, just don't tell The Mrs or i'll have to cook all the time!
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: 2nd Division & Proud[/cite]latest one was real pizza- making the bread from scratch and the sauce etc - better than the crp u get in p-hutt and the like by miles
    I used a pizza dough from a Tony & Giorgio recipe and it was excellent. The key is the flour, they recommend OO flour which is ultra fine but I used O flour which is pretty much the same. Lovely and light, a world away from the heavy sh1te we've been conditioned to accept. Kids loved it too, got to make their own proper pizzas and got their hands dirty in the process!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I love cooking chilli con carne and shepherds pie as well as cottage pie I also enjoy cooking Toad in the Hole, just don't tell The Mrs or i'll have to cook all the time!
    For really good cottage/shephards pie forget shop bought 'mince'. Use proper meat, cook it then mince it. Quality.

A guy who works with me had a Saturday job in a butchers when he was at school and h told me how they make mince. As you'd expect there's very little prime meat in it, mostly crap. it gets fed into the mincer over and again, adding blood each time til it's the right shade of red.

Enjoy your shephards pie/chilli, spag bol!!!
  • Yummy I have to say i know what goes into my "meat" products, so i can't complain ;o)

Only meat I truly work on for perfection is a steak it takes me about half hour to prepare and 4 minutes to cook!
  • anyone done the old jamie fry up where you cook all your bacon, sausage, toms etc in one big pan then break the eggs and fry them in and around them - making everything stick together - yummy, yum, yum yum - guess whati'm having for me dinner tonight :)

lots of people knock him but i think the guys different class - see a few fellow fans on here too
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I love cooking chilli con carne and shepherds pie as well as cottage pie I also enjoy cooking Toad in the Hole, just don't tell The Mrs or i'll have to cook all the time!
    For really good cottage/shephards pie forget shop bought 'mince'. Use proper meat, cook it then mince it. Quality.

A guy who works with me had a Saturday job in a butchers when he was at school and h told me how they make mince. As you'd expect there's very little prime meat in it, mostly crap. it gets fed into the mincer over and again, adding blood each time til it's the right shade of red.

Get some frying steak and slice up really fine. Then add to spag bol, shepards pie, chilli etc. Much nicer!!
  • .... the books
  • For home-made pizza bases I like using the ready-mixed ciabatta bread flour you can get in most supermarkets. Blind bake first, then add toppings & blitz at oven's top temp. 'Recipe of the week' would be a good thread CB?
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]im on a diet so you're all doing my head in... i've never eaten so many vegetables... quorn anyone?

Yes please. If you're willing to export a large amount in a vehicle with a freezer because I've already written to Quorn (about importing it) and they've replied saying that they've previously tried and failed on the French market.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I love cooking chilli con carne and shepherds pie as well as cottage pie I also enjoy cooking Toad in the Hole, just don't tell The Mrs or i'll have to cook all the time!

Exactly. What better reason to buy the veggy substitute (Neal's Yard produce it and you can buy it at Holland & Barrett)