Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Co-op in Woolwich

BDLBDL
edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
Looks like they are going to pull it down, well the art deco bit opposite the Council Offices:

Some interesting photos!

The replacement

Be really sad to see it go. What little history left in Woolwich is being sacrificed for redevelopment. They should and could try to keep the old Art Deco bit

Comments

• I loved that place as a child, sliding down the bannisters and generally being a pest while Mum did the shopping and collected the Coop stamps, I was amazed by that thing in Cuff's that the cashiers would put the cash into those little bullet shaped things then load them into a pipe where I assume they were charged by compressed air I'd watch them travel across the ceiling to where ever they went. Those were the days ;-)
    I was in Woolwich today, it's fecking crimanal how its turned out, Pound shops no credit check loan shops even cash convertors has shut down.
  • The stair way was used in the film Child Of Men.

We have lost all the good department stores from when I was a kid. The best place ever was Jones and Higgings in Peckham!
  • Used to go there many weekends with my mum and dad when I was a kid, and remember always getting treated to chocolate ice cream in the cafe
  • I was brought up in woolwich and it's sad to see the state of the high street and surrounding areas now . When Iived in Charlton a couple of years ago me and the other half would go swimming at the waterfront first thing saturday morning and walk back through woolwich and I was embaressed at the state of it and she comes from Sheppey!

Trouble with it is as much to do with a lot of the scum that live round there these days as anything else
  • I used to go to Woolwich once a week from Eltham on the 161 from Well Hall with my mum,My dads bank branch was still in Plumstead where we used to live (Heathfield Terrace) and we would get the bus to the Common and we would walk up Nightingale Place to the old Barclays. As i bribe i used to get Matchbox toy car from the sweet shop next door,then we would walk down into Woolwich.

I remember the old tram tracks down by the market,and the British Home Stores and the bags of crisps i had bought for me Niblits i think they were called and of course the co-op store.

Shame Woolwich is such a pit now :(
  • addick1965;
    And Eltham is................?

;-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I was brought up in woolwich and it's sad to see the state of the high street and surrounding areas now . When Iived in Charlton a couple of years ago me and the other half would go swimming at the waterfront first thing saturday morning and walk back through woolwich and I was embaressed at the state of it and she comes from Sheppey!

Trouble with it is as much to do with a lot of the scum that live round there these days as anything else[/quote]

It is a mess for sure very embarrassing walking down there to think what it was like as a kid
  • I haven't been to Woolwich for about 20 years - but in the 60's I was dragged shopping there by my Nan and in the 70's I used to work there - and pick up the Lewis coach for away matches.

The place was vibrant in those days - and with all the hustle & bustle, the colourful market, Cuffs and other big shops, the presence of the Arsenal walls & buildings facing Beresford Square - it felt like a proper town centre with it's own individual character and identity.
  • More Council offices then !!
  • Nah - they got Tesco's to build those.
  • Sponsored links:

• What an amazing building!

if they are looking to build flats there, they'd be better off converting this than building one of those homogenous buildings they build now.
  • [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]addick1965;
    And Eltham is................?

;-)

.....not as bad as woolwich :)
  • I used to visit my Nan in North Woolwich every saturday til I was about 7 orb8.

Remember going to Cuffs.

We avoided the Co-op as it was such a big place!
  • They had PROPER lifts. Red sliding doors and a saftey gate, and someone operating them!

The restaurant, the proper one with carpets and service, on the top floor was nothing short of lush.
  • Ah, but don't forget where the first British "MacDonalds(spit !)" was built.
  • used to love going in there getting a toy when i was a kid, once saw john austin walker the MP absail down the side of the tower for charity!! would be a perfect place for a most haunted programme.
  • Unless I dreamt it, I remember Santa Claus arriving at the Co-op in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to turn on thel ights or open a grotto.

Also the remember the feeling of riding up the escalators and being delivered onto a floor of toys. I know there was other things on sale on that floor, but my eyes were only on the toys.
  • Wow, thats taken me back....I was born in Woolwich at the Mothers and babies hospital....lived at Harding House until I was 4 then moved to the country (Abbey Road) as it seemed back in those days. Every Saturday we went to Woolwich in my Grandads Thames Van....did the shopping BHS, Marks and Spencer, CO OP and Cuffs.....was always a busy place back then. My Aunt worked for the Co op when she left school...in the offices that used to be opposite the store....also remember there was a record shop in that parade.....used to have the old fashioned (but probably new then) listening booths. What a beautiful office in the last pictures....the panelling would cost a fortune these days.
  • British Hospital for Mothers and Babies - Me too, so was the wife. Anyone else born there? Nearest hospital to the Valley!
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]British Hospital for Mothers and Babies - Me too, so was the wife. Anyone else born there? Nearest hospital to the Valley!

Yep, me too. Anyone old enough that went saturday morning pictures at the ABC (was/is Flamingo's)
  • Sponsored links:

• Me i was born in there and we lived in samuel street in the masonettes next to the hospital

Saturday morning pictures was the bollox Herbie and cartoons whilst your mum went shopping
  • I lived in the masonettes in Samuel St to! And born in British Hospital for Mothers and Babies ! A nice 10 minute walk to the Valley

As for the RACS/ Co Op my mum was a hairdresser there in the late 60's and when I was a nipper she allowed me to roam from the top floor round the building - I got lost many a time as it was massive!

The public food hall did wicked fish n chips too! Simple days.
  • 4 ever

what flats were you in bud, we were the ones next to the road that leads to prospect vale we had swings bhind it and if you come in to samuel street from the bottom end (near the dockyard railway we were the first block on the right before the gates to the hospital

we moved in 1980
  • I was in the block right opposite the Hospital entrance , opposite you! Tough old place wasn't it! The swings you mention were next to our football pitch!
  • The flats we lived in were in Ogilby Street, just off Frances St....No1 Harding House...remember it well, playing on the forecourt and down at the swings.....My aunt who was an awesome footballer in her day used to run rings around all the boys, down next to the swings. Oddly enough one of the ADU blokes Rick living in Perth grew up with my aunt and Uncles and used to play footie with them...small world.
  • when were you there C4E

we left when i was 5 around 1980 still kept mates with a good few from there and prospect vale up until i moved nth that is
  • edited November 2008
    north london - moved in 1979. I am a bit older than you! Moved in when they opened in 1961 and I was born then too (in the same street!) I bet I know your mum or dad!

Without giving your name what floor did you live on? My best mate at the time lived at number 42 (ground floor)
  • 2nd floor blue door right next to stairs next to proper nice old folks called Peg and Tom
  • Ah - the top floor, a very elusive bunch, didn't know too many folks there.
    I remember your places being built as I lived opposite.
    Glad you kept your loyalty to CAFC !

And TelinOz knew your place well too!
  • my loyalty to CAFC will never leave hard to get NLJR to commit he reckons we are toilet

from the vauge memories i have from there it was a cracking place to live