Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan McCormack

How come McOxo has managed to look convincing in successive winning Brentford and Luton teams after being such a tub of lard for us?  Is it Charlton?  Do we have this effect in people?

Comments

• How come McOxo has managed to look convincing in successive winning Brentford and Luton teams after being such a tub of lard for us?  Is it Charlton?  Do we have this effect in people?
    Ironically he was here with the other one who exceed all expeçtations after leaving us, Simon Francis.
  • I mentioned him in the post re Luton V Coventry .. I'd rather he was in our side than Luton's .. he's a combative bordering on dirty player, can make a decent pass, and knows the lower league game inside out .. as written above, a scapegoat who was never given a real chance with us, especially by the fans

• Should have just won it for Luton

Awful effort!!
  • He never wanted to leave us. 
    He really was happy here. 
  • He was a scapegoat as he had the audacity to take his missus out for a birthday meal after a defeat 
    He was daft, and emphasised why footballers and professional sportspeople use platforms with the best intentions but don't engage their brain or sense of self awareness before sharing stuff like that. 

It didn't overly bother me, I rated him and would have always played him when fit. He really went off any sort of boil from the turn of that year. I'm pleased for him he has had a good career since leaving us. I didn't expect it though and I'm happy to have been proved wrong. Besides after he left we signed Hollands and Dale Stephens who were far better than he was at the time 
  • He was a scapegoat as he had the audacity to take his missus out for a birthday meal after a defeat 
    What a bastard.
  • edited February 2019
    He was also useless. 
  • Sponsored links:

• He was also useless. 
    He was. Let's not rewrite history just because he's gone on to do OK since he left us  
  • Why do people always bring out this “scapegoat” drivel.  He was piss poor for us ; why is that necessarily the fault of the crowd ? 
  • edited February 2019
    He couldn't fit in to Powell's style of play at the back end of the 10/11 season. His passing was terrible and Powell rightly let him go that summer. Was terrible for us but sometimes it works that way. Leon Clarke is another one who didn't work out for us but has elsewhere. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Why do people always bring out this “scapegoat” drivel.  He was piss poor for us ; why is that necessarily the fault of the crowd ? 
    Not saying it is the fault of the crowd, because he didn't seem like a good footballer at all, but it can't help when every mistake is seized upon and you are subject to abuse from your own supporters. In most walks of life people perform better when they feel supported and encouraged. 
    Imagine walking in to work and immediately getting called a useless c*nt by everyone around you. 
  • He absolutely murdered us when Brentford came down to The Valley and beat us 0-3.
  • its not just him.. better players around you or certain formation can bring more from a player.
  • He absolutely murdered us when Brentford came down to The Valley and beat us 0-3.
    Was about to post the exact same thing! He bossed the game and looked like a different player to the one who was with us.
  • My lasting memory of him was lying face down in the mud of the centre circle, having been bullied off the ball again and the opposition charging forward towards our penalty box as he lay there bleating in vain at the referee.

I hate fans getting on the backs of our players. It's totally self-defeating and particularly stupid when it's directed at our young home-grown players -but if anyone deserved it, he did. 
  • I also remember him jumping out of a tackle and Parkinson subbing him at half time
  • edited February 2019
    Dale Stephens and Danny Hollands were huge upgrades on him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• He was pony for us as was Francis (for whatever reason), as most agreed at the time, now both players are doing well, all of a sudden they are ‘scapegoats’. No they were rubbish (for us).

• Always makes me laugh how the blame is seemingly put onto the fans for ‘scapegoating’ players and for them putting in poor performances.

Do we really think that a few posts on Charlton Life are the reason McCormack would bottle out of tackles and have little influence in a game? 
  • McCormack and Francis were scapegoats at the time - if they were so bad they would have disappeared into oblivion.

The offence people took over McCormack was laughable.
    Sorry mate, I assume you saw McCormacks and Francis's performances for us, if you did, then you would have seen two terrible players for us. 
    I think that McCormacks performance away at (IIRC) Daggers was in the 10 ten worse performances for CAFC and christ we've had some snotters over the years.
  • cafctom said:
    Always makes me laugh how the blame is seemingly put onto the fans for ‘scapegoating’ players and for them putting in poor performances.

Do we really think that a few posts on Charlton Life are the reason McCormack would bottle out of tackles and have little influence in a game? 
    Players read forums a lot more than people think. The current Yeovil keeper (who skippered them this weekend!) told me as much, back when he was at Woking.

Whether it actually affects their mindset and performance depends on the player, but our views definitely aren't completely ignored. 
  • I'd like to think if I was a professional footballer I'd have either the mental fortitude to let comments about how shit I played wash over me and not bite or resist the urge to read them 

Francis was crap for us, no two ways about that. It's amazing how some players suit certain clubs but I questioned how we was a full back. In fairness to him he has looked decent all the time he has been at Bournemouth and a guy at work who is a massive Southend fan thought he was one of the best full backs they have ever had and said his delivery was the best aspect of his game. I thought he was crap, offered nothing offensively and was lightweight defensively but what do I know

• The offence people took over McCormack was laughable.
    Fans getting the hump he had the temerity to be out having a meal with his mrs after we had lost was so odd .

• cafctom said:
    Always makes me laugh how the blame is seemingly put onto the fans for ‘scapegoating’ players and for them putting in poor performances.

See my earlier post, but do you think footballers are deaf? It's not forums that are the problem. It's grown men with unresolved anger issues at matches. 
  • He was garbage end off... For us of course... So ask him why. 
    Not true ... it was 1st anniversary :-)