Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football rule [Law] changes for next season

Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

The changes mean that a free-kick will be awarded when a goal or clear chance occurs from a handball.

Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

Additional approved law changes included measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive wall, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47429316

Comments

• Like the leaving the pitch at the nearest point, also what about a time limit in getting off the pitch? It's amazing how many players being subbed suddenly get a hamstring or muscle twinge and walk off slowly.
  • Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

Isn't this now open to abuse? It's worth handling the ball as it will only result in a free-kick and not necessarily a goal?
  • So basically handball going forward means handball unless the players arms are down by their side?

I guess we'll know which players are being subbed going forward because they'll go stand on the centre circle!!

Its a good rule thats been introduced but think there are better ways to speed up substitutions
  • So basically handball going forward means handball unless the players arms are down by their side?

I guess we'll know which players are being subbed going forward because they'll go stand on the centre circle!!

Its a good rule thats been introduced but think there are better ways to speed up substitutions
    give the refs an automatic rifle?
    Couldnt agree more
  • clive said:

Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

The changes mean that a free-kick will be awarded when a goal or clear chance occurs from a handball.

Another change to the laws of the game means that if the player's arms extend beyond a "natural silhouette", handball will be given, even if it is perceived as accidental.

In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

Additional approved law changes included measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive wall, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47429316

"The changes mean that a free-kick will be awarded when a goal or clear chance occurs from a handball" - what happens now? 
  • There's gonna be more penalties, as it's far easier to smash the ball at a players arm from a few yards, than trying to score a goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yellow card the players abusing the situation. That will quicken their pace. It's clear to everyone what's going on.  

As we are discussing the rules, bring back the old obstruction rule.  "Shepherding out" is obstructing play and goes against the natural flow of the game. 
    definitely this .. a few other possible changes .. ball no longer has to leave the goal area to be in play from a goal kick (presumably free kick as well) .. as to 'players interfering in defensive line ups' ..  no attackers allowed to join a defensive 'wall' .. and it's also mooted that the ball need not necessarily be stopped when taking a free kick .. I would think that would need a lot of discretion on the referee's part ..
    as to the new handball law .. this surely means that canny attackers will now aim for opponents arms in the pen area and then scream 'penalty' in a variety of languages if said arm is hit .. putting more strain on the referee's discretion and multiple instances of VAR referral
  • There's gonna be more penalties, as it's far easier to smash the ball at a players arm from a few yards, than trying to score a goal.
    Always remember seeing Steven Gerrard on SKY against someone, he blatantly looked from football to players arm, back to the football and clearly chipped it into the players arm

Wasnt given yet was a clear bit of cheating (from a Scouser, nooo I hear you cry) else if not it would have been the worst attempted cross Ive ever seen
  • Yellow card the players abusing the situation. That will quicken their pace. It's clear to everyone what's going on.  

As we are discussing the rules, bring back the old obstruction rule.  "Shepherding out" is obstructing play and goes against the natural flow of the game. 
    Its obstruction not shepherding the ball out... Player is standing in front of the opposition with no clear intention of playing the ball - Completely agree that it should be stamped out
  • Watched the 3 Premier League games yesterday on NBC and they were discussing this natural silhouette.

Think they established there would have been 3 penalties in the Fulham/Chelsea game alone.

• edited March 2019
    And then the players would quickly get used to the rule and stop throwing their arms up etc when defending crosses.
  • Nial Quinn was an expert at moving the defenders arm to the ball, seem to remember him winning a pen in the world cup doing it.  We will probably see loads of pens, disallowed goals and bookings for subs "taking the scenic route" in the first few round of games, then it will all be forgotten about, as per usual. 
  • I think that throw ins should have to be taken within say 10 seconds. Infuriates me when a player crosses from the other side of the pitch just because he can hurl it furthest. 

• As we are discussing the rules, bring back the old obstruction rule.  "Shepherding out" is obstructing play and goes against the natural flow of the game. 
    Always thought this. It’s argued that effective shielding is a skill, which I actually agree with, but in my view, if your team had the last touch, you’re the team in possession, so entitled to shield the ball, but if not, then you’re stopping an opposition player controlling the ball by obstruction.
    This would mean shepherding a ball out of play would end because if you’re doing it legally, you’d hand possession over.
    It also means skilful shielding (as demonstrated so beautifully by Tony Watt that one time) would be legal, as long as you, or a teammate, touched the ball last.

Its obstruction not shepherding the ball out... Player is standing in front of the opposition with no clear intention of playing the ball - Completely agree that it should be stamped out
    The law states this:

“Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.”

I am unsure of how it is obstruction as most of the time, the ball is within playing distance of the defender so they’re naturally shielding the ball out of play. It is of course different if the ball is say 3 meters in front of the defender and he intentionally blocks the attacker getting to the ball.

I can’t say that this law can be interpreted in several ways but as a referee myself, I admit there are many laws open to interpretation.
  • Watched the 3 Premier League games yesterday on NBC and they were discussing this natural silhouette.

Think they established there would have been 3 penalties in the Fulham/Chelsea game alone.

Yeah, no one will try and score a goal from open play, they'll just be aiming for a defenders arm :smile:  
  • Sponsored links:

• Substitutes leaving the pitch at the nearest point of exit.
    Totally agree. 
    The handball rule change will create more arguments than it will resolve 

Great ideas, both of them. The shepherding this is getting out of hand. 
  • I know I have said this many times,but I still think players who take off their shirts when scoring a goal should get a Red card.
  • Derek1952 said:
    I know I have said this many times,but I still think players who take off their shirts when scoring a goal should get a Red card.
    That let's off pretty much of our midfield. So I agree. 
  • Derek1952 said:
    I know I have said this many times,but I still think players who take off their shirts when scoring a goal should get a Red card.
    I think the opposite and they shouldn't even get a yellow.
  • Goal Kicks should be taken from the side the ball left the pitch, this would stop time wasting by the goalkeepers.
  • What are people's views on the penalty kick change - i.e. no rebounds.

It solves the problem of encroachment (all the players apart from the taker and keeper can be in the centre circle) but fundamentally changes the 'ball in open play' scenario.

On balance I think I'm against the change.

• Derek1952 said:
    It's to protect shirt sponsors rights. Score a goal and the camera is on you and the sponsor gets his name on screen. 
  • bobmunro said:

What are people's views on the penalty kick change - i.e. no rebounds.

It solves the problem of encroachment (all the players apart from the taker and keeper can be in the centre circle) but fundamentally changes the 'ball in open play' scenario.

On balance I think I'm against the change.

Not a good change,gives an an advantage to the Goalkeeper & defending side.
  • Riviera said:
    Derek1952 said:
    It's to protect shirt sponsors rights. Score a goal and the camera is on you and the sponsor gets his name on screen. 
    I never thought of that.