Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would have been their birthday today...

Comments

• Karl Marx

Commneee ooinnnn yooouu rrrreeedddsss
  • Born today in 1911: Robert Johnson, The King of The Delta Blues.
  • JIMMY TROTTER
    Born 25 November 1899
    Died 17 April 1984 (84)

After his playing career finished - he played for Bury, Sheffield Wednesday and Watford - he joined Charlton as their trainer, a position he held for 22 years, as well as being trainer for the England national team. After Jimmy Seed's sacking he was appointed Manager in 1956 but was unable to prevent relegation in 1957. He was at the helm for the 7-6 win over Huddersfield. He came close to taking the Addicks back into the top flight that season, but we lost 3-4 to Blackburn in the final match of the season, when a draw would have been enough to take us up.

In October 1961 after a disastrous start to the season with eight defeats and just one win in the first 11 games, Jimmy Trotter was axed. The final straw for the directors was a 0-4 defeat at the Valley at the hands of Liverpool. However, with their usual "Stalinist" desire to gloss over unpalatable news Trotter - like Seed before him - was said to have resigned. Charlton historian Colin Cameron says "Fans expecting to find a tribute in the next programme were to be disappointed because the only action Charlton took was to delete his name as Manager". Quite why Charlton adopted this revisionist stance is unclear, but it would have been perfectly at home in George Orwell's "1984" - Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley

JIMMY TROTTER
    Born 25 November 1899
    Died 17 April 1984 (84)

After his playing career finished - he played for Bury, Sheffield Wednesday and Watford - he joined Charlton as their trainer, a position he held for 22 years, as well as being trainer for the England national team. After Jimmy Seed's sacking he was appointed Manager in 1956 but was unable to prevent relegation in 1957. He was at the helm for the 7-6 win over Huddersfield. He came close to taking the Addicks back into the top flight that season, but we lost 3-4 to Blackburn in the final match of the season, when a draw would have been enough to take us up.

In October 1961 after a disastrous start to the season with eight defeats and just one win in the first 11 games, Jimmy Trotter was axed. The final straw for the directors was a 0-4 defeat at the Valley at the hands of Liverpool. However, with their usual "Stalinist" desire to gloss over unpalatable news Trotter - like Seed before him - was said to have resigned. Charlton historian Colin Cameron says "Fans expecting to find a tribute in the next programme were to be disappointed because the only action Charlton took was to delete his name as Manager". Quite why Charlton adopted this revisionist stance is unclear, but it would have been perfectly at home in George Orwell's "1984" - Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley

Remembering another Charlton legend

Apologies for the duplication above - but it's Jimmy's birthdate today.

• SAM BARTRAM (my hero)
    Born 22 January 1914 at Simonside, County Durham
    Died 17 July 1981 (67) at Harpenden, Hertfordshire

Sam played in goal for Charlton for 22 years and was never dropped from the team until he retired in 1956

He holds four Charlton records -
    Most FA Cup appearances (44)
    Most appearances (623)
    Most league appearances (579)
    Oldest league player (42 years)

On 7 February 1948 Charlton lost 2-0 away to Manchester United. Sam was chaired off the pitch by both sets of players after the FA Cup 5th Round defeat. Bartram called it his greatest performance. "One match, and one moment, that stood out from all the others and remained carved in my memory. No Aunt Sally at a fairground event ever underwent so prolonged and furious a peppering".

Jimmy Seed wrote in his preface to Sam Bartram's autobiography - "When for the last time he took the goalkeeper's gloves from his gnarled hands - rough-hewn in service to Charlton - and hung up his worn and dilapidated cap, it gave me cause for reflection. I remembered his loyalty. No more faithful, constant and true-hearted man has played the game of football".

On 9 June 2005 Charlton legends paraded at the Valley for the Club's 100th anniversary and for the unveiling of the bronze Sam Bartram statue.

From: Charlton Athletic - A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club by Michael Walsh and Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley.

I always enjoy bringing up Sam’s birthday.

• Best wishes to you, Rob.
  • God bless Nick.

My Dad would have been 81 today, RIP
  • Thinking of you and your family Rob,

• edited January 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
  • edited January 2019
    Move on, nothing to see here.
  • My late mother.

She would have been 88 today.

• Tony Wilson
  • Johnny Cash

• Strange thing is that a random Bottom sketch come up on YouTube early (probably "trending" because it's his birthday) and I Googled if he was dead as I couldn't be sure. I didn't notice the exact date mind
  • COLIN CAMERON Born in Farnborough Hospital on 23 March 1940 He became Charlton's official historian for nearly 40 years and one of the club's most devoted supporters. He started following Charlton in 1947, the year we won the Cup. Mr Cameron suffered a stroke early December 2015 and had a relapse on Christmas Eve. He died the following day in Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The Valley faithful held a minute's applause before the game against Ipswich on Boxing Day as a mark of respect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j31Dl0F_AQ&autoplay=1
    COLIN CAMERON Born in Farnborough Hospital on 23 March 1940 He became Charlton's official historian for nearly 40 years and one of the club's most devoted supporters. He started following Charlton in 1947, the year we won the Cup. Mr Cameron suffered a stroke early December 2015 and had a relapse on Christmas Eve. He died the following day in Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The Valley faithful held a minute's applause before the game against Ipswich on Boxing Day as a mark of respect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j31Dl0F_AQ&autoplay=

Thought we should remember Mr Colin Cameron (sorry about the duplication)

• Ronnie Lane, Happy Birthday (73) and RIP -

https://youtu.be/HUuuHLaSLR0
  • Ronnie Lane, Happy Birthday (73) and RIP -

https://youtu.be/HUuuHLaSLR0

I'm currently reading Kenney Jones autobiography, very sad that he's the only one left from The Small Faces now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
  • SAM BARTRAM (my hero) Born 22 January 1914 at Simonside, County Durham Died 17 July 1981 (67) at Harpenden, Hertfordshire Sam played in goal for Charlton for 22 years and was never dropped from the team until he retired in 1956 He holds four Charlton records - Most FA Cup appearances (44) Most appearances (623) Most league appearances (579) Oldest league player (42 years) On 7 February 1948 Charlton lost 2-0 away to Manchester United. Sam was chaired off the pitch by both sets of players after the FA Cup 5th Round defeat. Bartram called it his greatest performance. "One match, and one moment, that stood out from all the others and remained carved in my memory. No Aunt Sally at a fairground event ever underwent so prolonged and furious a peppering". Jimmy Seed wrote in his preface to Sam Bartram's autobiography - "When for the last time he took the goalkeeper's gloves from his gnarled hands - rough-hewn in service to Charlton - and hung up his worn and dilapidated cap, it gave me cause for reflection. I remembered his loyalty. No more faithful, constant and true-hearted man has played the game of football". On 9 June 2005 Charlton legends paraded at the Valley for the Club's 100th anniversary and for the unveiling of the bronze Sam Bartram statue. From: Charlton Athletic - A Nostalgic Look at a Century of  Club by Michael Walsh and Charlton Athletic on this Day 

• Sir Alf Ramsey would of been 100 today !
  • Roger Lloyd - Pack, 76. 

Happy Birthday, Trigg
  • STUART LEARY Born 30 April 1933 at Capetown, South Africa Died in Capetown on 23 August 1988, aged 55 Stuart Leary is a worthy candidate for finest player ever to wear the Charlton shirt. As an all-round sportsman, a Kent cricketer of distinction, the South African had few equals. Charlton historian Colin Cameron described him as "a footballing genius". He remains the Addicks' record league marksman with 153 goals. He played for the England Under 23s alongside Busby-babe Duncan Edwards but could not. Are the top England side because his father was not English. His 403-game Charlton career came to an unfortunate end with a falling out with Manager Frank Hill and he was sold to QPR. His cricketing career continued - team-mates Derek Ufton and Syd O'Lynn were also in the Kent side. O'Lynn hailed Leary as the cleverest footballer he knew. Colin Cowdrey, Charlton director and Kent captain, likened him to George Best many years later. Leary's tragic end - his body was recovered from the slopes of Table Mountain after he had been missing for five days - in Capetwon remains a mystery. Along with how Charlton could possibly have let such a great player go when all he neede was a break from relentless football and cricket (from Charlton Athletic - A nostalgic look at a century of the club). Charlton achieved their record 6-1 away win at Sam Bartram's Luton Town on 10 February 1962. Said Sam after the game: "You can forget Jimmy Greaves and Johnny Haynes. For me, Stuart Leary is the greatest forward in the game. He can dictate the course of a match by slowing it down or speeding it up to suit his team" (Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley)
    Remembered
  • Nick Drake - 19 June 1948
  • Amy Winehouse - 14 Sept 1983
  • Bob Hoskins - 78 today -

• My Grandfather. Born 7 November 1902.

• STUART LEARY, born Sunday, 30th April 1933

Described by club historian Colin Cameron as “a footballing genius”