Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone still do the Pools?

Watching the classifieds tonight and all the postponements I thought what happened to the Pools Panel? Then I realised they were not even showing the pools points next to each result like 3 for a score draw etc. I think the Pools are still going in some form but obviously were hit massively in the mid 90's by the National Lottery. I really used enjoy doing them. Seems weird now filling in your coupon and having it collected by some stranger along with your 22 1/2p for your Eight from Ten full perm etc. 

Comments

• I haven't done it since the guy in our office stopped doing collections - getting on for 30 years now. It wasn't that important to me personally, but I always have fond memories of my dad doing it. Woe betide anyone who talked over the football results - two big things on a Saturday evening: How did Charlton get on? How did the pools go?
  • Stig said:
    I haven't done it since the guy in our office stopped doing collections - getting on for 30 years now. It wasn't that important to me personally, but I always have fond memories of my dad doing it. Woe betide anyone who talked over the football results - two big things on a Saturday evening: How did Charlton get on? How did the pools go?
    Telegram claims are required for 23 1/2 or 24 points....  Happy days! 
  • I was speaking with my wife about it the other day she’s 12 years younger than me so doesn’t remember it .
    22 1/2p was the price I remembered continued with the Aussie footy in the summer .
    that was when a million was worth a million ! 

So are the pools definitely alive ?
  • I was speaking with my wife about it the other day she’s 12 years younger than me so doesn’t remember it .
    22 1/2p was the price I remembered continued with the Aussie footy in the summer .

I googled earlier and it seems something is still around,
     Aussie Pools, I always put Eltham down as a draw! 
  • I remember as a kid on the Coldharbour Estate our local pools guy had really bad rickets. 
  • I still do them because my numbers are registered and I pay by direct debit. I never check them but had a nice little win a couple of weeks ago
  • Bizarrely one of my boys asked yesterday what the pools was when watching the classifieds!
  • Ffs 
    Just said to the wife did your dad do the pools.
    I've still got his numbers was the reply.
  • Remember the pools man coming round too collect his money years ago and also the milkman, both recognisable faces around SE7 in the 80's, along with the toffe apple man on his Tomos step-through scooter
  • Sponsored links:

• Did anyone ever win? I didn't get the even the smallest of compensatory wins; perhaps that was another appeal of the lottery, I at least got a few tenners. My dad on the other hand had two pretty substantial wins before I was born, which perhaps explain the importance of the pools to him. In the early fifties he won enough to pack up his job, buy a new motorbike and do nothing but swan around for a year. Eventually, my mum (then his girlfriend, not yet his wife) got fed up with with him doing nothing and so one weekend gave him an ultimatum, get yourself a job or I'm leaving. "It's alright", he responded "The money's gone now, I'm back to work on Monday"!  
  • Remember my dad fuming one week as Dartford missed a last minute penalty and costing him a fortune on the 4 always line of his pools. 
    I used to enjoy adding up the points each week. 
  • footballpools.com

• Stig said:
    Did anyone ever win? I didn't get the even the smallest of compensatory wins; perhaps that was another appeal of the lottery, I at least got a few tenners. My dad on the other hand had two pretty substantial wins before I was born, which perhaps explain the importance of the pools to him. In the early fifties he won enough to pack up his job, buy a new motorbike and do nothing but swan around for a year. Eventually, my mum (then his girlfriend, not yet his wife) got fed up with with him doing nothing and so one weekend gave him an ultimatum, get yourself a job or I'm leaving. "It's alright", he responded "The money's gone now, I'm back to work on Monday"!  
    A few people on my round won a bit, never the jackpot, also some won on the spot the ball competition, few were pros, who had rubber stamps with 100 x on them.
  • Spot the ball used to annoy me, as it wasn’t where the ball actually was that won, it was where a panel of ‘experts’ considered the centre of the ball to be. 
  • edited March 2019
    I use to help my sister do the collections for Littlewoods Pools around Gravesend....that was around 40 years ago....quite liked having a go at spot the ball.
  • Whenever I saw the results of the spot the ball, it never seemed anywhere like I'd think it should be. Always looked like a scam to me.
  • Gordon Banks was one of three members of the pools panel along with ex Blackppol and Newcastle player Tony Green and Banks' fellow World Cup winner Roger Hunt.  Three players with no experience of playing in England since 1973.  

I wonder who will get to replace Banks.  
  • Stig said:
    Whenever I saw the results of the spot the ball, it never seemed anywhere like I'd think it should be. Always looked like a scam to me.
    It was
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Gordon Banks was one of three members of the pools panel along with ex Blackppol and Newcastle player Tony Green and Banks' fellow World Cup winner Roger Hunt.  Three players with no experience of playing in England since 1973.  

I wonder who will get to replace Banks.  
    Happy memories resding this thread. I always retained an affection for the pools panel as back in 1991/92 our game at the Den was postponed and the panel gave it as an away win. How little they knew. So poor is our record against Millwall I've held onto it as a small victory ever since.
    Luckily he wasn’t one of the spot the ball judges. 
  • Yes I still do it with The Football Pools. Been playing for 3 years now and only won 33 pounds.

• I've not done the pools in more than 20 years.

Littlewoods still write to me once a year or more though to ask me to start again.

Another example of the impotence of the Data Protection Act I referred to on the 'General Things That Annoy You' thread.
  • Addickted said:
    My Nan won £1400 on the pools in 1969.

What a Christmas that was. Got a go-kart and a Johnny 7.
    A Johnny what???

So your wife is 55 then?
  • As a child about the time I first went to Charlton the pools panel members I remember are Arthur Ellis, Ted Drake and Tom Finney. There was another bloke but no idea who he was and not convinced I knew back then.