Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jarred Gillett (Australian Referee)

Thought Id create its own thread yet interestingly; Jarred Gillett (A-League referee) is going to become the first Referee from abroad to join the list of Championship officials from next season

In his last game in Australia he was hooked up to a mic so he could be heared - Now might be difficult to have it for non Televised games but how simple does it make it for everyone to understand whats going on

Part of me would settle for getting this feature in Football over VAR!!

@PeterGage as someone who has been involved in this side of the game Id be curious to get your views on this?

Comments

• Was going to post this earlier but couldn’t decide what thread to put it in so gave up.
  • As shown in the video it'd sit very nicely alongside VAR.
  • edited March 2019
    You can’t do it over here because of image rights that all the players have preventing their voices being transmitted without their permission. More importantly without a fee
  • Shit referee
  • edited March 2019
    @Swisdom not to mention all the foul language!
  • edited March 2019
    Unfortunately whilst it works for other sports, footballers would just spout filth at the referee.

Dont know why the sport attracts pond life in comparison but footballers just can’t be relied upon not to swear.... so no good for live Tv
  • What comes out of that video is how well respected he is by the players. 
  • Swisdom said:
    You can’t do it over here because of image rights that all the players have preventing their voices being transmitted without their permission. More importantly without a fee

I'd be happy to take a whoosh if you can tell me this isn't true???
  • Unfortunately whilst it works for other sports, footballers would just spout filth at the referee.

Dont know why the sport attracts pond life in comparison but footballers just can’t be relied upon not to swear.... so no good for live Tv

Disagree to an extent; I wonder how many would keep their mouths shut if they knew they could be heard

Press would have a field day every week about the language used as the players would be doing their job for them

At the same time I also think it would be interesting working both ways... i.e. Just imagine hearing Linington admitting he didn't know what foul had been committed when he was speaking live to Solly about the penalty he gave Peterborough; its another example like when the FA refused to explain why they weren't taking away Taylor's red card against Accrington

Just feels in Football at the moment as though at times there is so much incompetence about the rules (from all quarters, not just referees) that the early days of having mics on referees would actually be embarrassing hence why they wouldn't want to do it

• I think we'd be all be shocked at what abuse players give the referee. And what they get away with.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    I think the players language must have improved in that game knowing the refs mic was live, it’s not like Australians don’t swear. 
    So I’d say it would be worth an experiment over here to see if our players could manage 90-minutes of non-sweary respectfulness. 

Also hats off to the player putting himself right in the shop window at the end.
    Up here for thinking.....
  • Fumbluff said:
    I think the players language must have improved in that game knowing the refs mic was live, it’s not like Australians don’t swear. 
    So id say it would be worth an experiment over here to see if our players could manage 90-minutes of non-sweary respectfulness. 

Also so hats off to the player putting himself right in the shop window at the end. Up here for thinking.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Hamill_(footballer)
  • edited March 2019
    that was hard to sit through. terrible accent. i actually thought it was a joke when i heard the linesman pipe up. 

anyway, its similar to rugby. which i think would be a great way of keeping all informed on why a decision was made. problem is yeah the players will swear  but the real issue is that the refs will be finally exposed as the incompetent mini stasi that they all are. (looking at you Stroud) 
  • edited March 2019
    Chunes said:
    I think we'd be all be shocked at what abuse players give the referee. And what they get away with.
    Be nice if any and all instances of dissent were dealt with with a booking.
  • They should open the mic up for VAR, worth hearing what's going on, works well in Cricket and Rugby when the decision is talked through 
  • Its also an odd one really as never understood how fans in the grounds at Rugby could hear the referee talking and until someone told me that you could buy something at the game that allowed you to hear I presumed it was a feature available only to those watching on TV

Am sorry but Football is all about fleecing the fans so surely thats another way to take our money?
  • Fumbluff said:
    So id say it would be worth an experiment over here to see if our players could manage 90-minutes of non-sweary respectfulness. 

Also so hats off to the player putting himself right in the shop window at the end. Up here for thinking.....
    That says he turned down several Premier League teams to sign for Melbourne.  Why would anyone do that?
  • After a plethora of reds and trying to get players and staff charge for there behaviour in his first couple of games he will be punted back to oz before the end of September.

with regards to recording the refs, they know that most games would have to be abandoned after so many reds.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    I think we'd be all be shocked at what abuse players give the referee. And what they get away with.
    Be nice if any and all instances of dissent were dealt with with a booking.
    And all shirt pulling in the area before a corner is taken resulted in a red card, which I believe is the correct punishment for a foul committed when the ball isn't it play, which effectively makes it common assault.
  • Fumbluff said:

That says he turned down several Premier League teams to sign for Melbourne.  Why would anyone do that?
    Especially as it was Melbourne Heart and not Melbourne City (i.e. Man City's owners)
  • Sponsored links:

• The referees will never allow it.

Can you imagine one of those situations where there is a melee in the goalmouth, perhaps the goalkeeper pushes the forward to the ground and players start stamping on him, and the ref runs over to talk to the lino.  [both with hands over mouths] "Did you see what happened ?" ... "Nope" ..... "Nor did I.  I'll just have to make something up and give a couple of red cards otherwise the assessor will crusify me.  Nod a few times to make it look like you're agreeing with me.".
  • Thought Id create its own thread yet interestingly; Jarred Gillett (A-League referee) is going to become the first Referee from abroad to join the list of Championship officials from next season

In his last game in Australia he was hooked up to a mic so he could be heared - Now might be difficult to have it for non Televised games but how simple does it make it for everyone to understand whats going on

@PeterGage as someone who has been involved in this side of the game Id be curious to get your views on this?
    A couple of random thoughts and information.

The concept of miking up a referee was trialled, I believe for one game in the late 70s, involving Arsenal (in the Tony Adams era) and I think the referee may have been David Ellery.

The trial was abandoned after just one game because of the level and frequency of swearing. I think most fans were genuinely shocked at that frequency and the level of disrespect shown by players to the match officials. Fans couldnt understand why the referee didnt taken action.

So far as the question of "miking up " referees, I am in agreement in principle but I can see some potential flaws. I am in agreement because we are living in a more transparent society where members of the public have the expectation of "information share". It may also take out some of the mystique out of refereeing and make supporters aware of the degree of difficulty of refereeing.

On the impractical side, it is difficult, if not impossible, to speak during open play whilst  running at speed to keep up with play. Therefore the timing and frequency of explanations needs to be carefully considered.

As a slight aside, I like the idea of referees changing countries to referee domestically within. It broadens the experience of referees and could improve the level of refereeing in this country if and when we dont have sufficient referees on the right standard coming through our domestic system.

• Chunes said:
    They'd soon stop if they knew it was being broadcast. Not good for their image or the club's.
  • Hex said:
    The referees will never allow it.

Can you imagine one of those situations where there is a melee in the goalmouth, perhaps the goalkeeper pushes the forward to the ground and players start stamping on him, and the ref runs over to talk to the lino.  [both with hands over mouths] "Did you see what happened ?" ... "Nope" ..... "Nor did I.  I'll just have to make something up and give a couple of red cards otherwise the assessor will crusify me.  Nod a few times to make it look like you're agreeing with me.".
    Alongside VAR though, it would be fine. Plus if you've got an extra ref upstairs, it's easier.
  • Swisdom said:

I'd be happy to take a whoosh if you can tell me this isn't true???
    Sadly it is true.  I spoke to the owner of RefBox a couple of years ago and they were trialling it but the Premier League stepped in with the image rights issue and it died from there.

I agree the language would be colourful but surely this is a great way of stamping it out?  Or at least reducing it.  
  • edited March 2019
    Not surprising in the slightest really is it!!

To be honest in a way I dont really want to hear the players though - Surely they could introduce it where we hear the referee but the moment they start talking to a player about an offence the mic gets turned off

If players are worried about their image rights then to avoid that then they just dont go running up to the referee mouthing off!!
  • I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but when the rugby refs were first mic'd up the audio was only available to the broadcasters/commentators so that they could relay the information to the audience because of the fears of bad language. Eventually the players learned to moderate their language so that the ref's microphone could be broadcast to all.

The players/Premier League can go swivel if all they're concerned about is their image rights. Spoiled brats.

On a general point, sometimes the banter between refs/umpires and players in rugby (both codes) and Aussie Rules can be quite amusing.
  • Interesting innovation .. I wouldn't want continuous 'referee commentary' during a game though as it's sometimes too much watching rugby .. However, It'd be good with VAR to hear the referee's comments on why the final decision was reached as in American football .. Gillett seems like a good ref .. he'll be more than welcome in England so far as I am concerned
  • Interesting innovation .. I wouldn't want continuous 'referee commentary' during a game though as it's sometimes too much watching rugby .. However, It'd be good with VAR to hear the referee's comments on why the final decision was reached as in American football .. Gillett seems like a good ref .. he'll be more than welcome in England so far as I am concerned
    Nailed on now he'll give a dodgy penalty against us away at promotion rivals Fulham next season......
  • PeterGage said:
    Thought Id create its own thread yet interestingly; Jarred Gillett (A-League referee) is going to become the first Referee from abroad to join the list of Championship officials from next season

A couple of random thoughts and information.

The concept of miking up a referee was trialled, I believe for one game in the late 70s, involving Arsenal (in the Tony Adams era) and I think the referee may have been David Ellery.

The trial was abandoned after just one game because of the level and frequency of swearing. I think most fans were genuinely shocked at that frequency and the level of disrespect shown by players to the match officials. Fans couldnt understand why the referee didnt taken action.

So far as the question of "miking up " referees, I am in agreement in principle but I can see some potential flaws. I am in agreement because we are living in a more transparent society where members of the public have the expectation of "information share". It may also take out some of the mystique out of refereeing and make supporters aware of the degree of difficulty of refereeing.

On the impractical side, it is difficult, if not impossible, to speak during open play whilst  running at speed to keep up with play. Therefore the timing and frequency of explanations needs to be carefully considered.

As a slight aside, I like the idea of referees changing countries to referee domestically within. It broadens the experience of referees and could improve the level of refereeing in this country if and when we dont have sufficient referees on the right standard coming through our domestic system.

The game you are talking  about was in 1989 Millwall vs Arsenal