Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

County Cricket 2019

As it is the first lot of University games today, thought I would start a generic thread for the season to run alongside the Big 3 individual threads for Kent, Essex and Surrey 

Can maybe call it @leuth and @thai malaysia addick Division 2 ramblings thread.

Comments

• Are the University games considered First Class for stats purposes ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Are the University games considered First Class for stats purposes ?
    Not sure. I think the counties want this changed, but not sure if they've been demoted yet

Far too nice outside for the start of the cricket season. Where's the wind and snow!
  • MrOneLung said:
    As it is the first lot of University games today, thought I would start a generic thread for the season to run alongside the Big 3 individual threads for Kent, Essex and Surrey 

Can maybe call it @leuth and @thai malaysia addick Division 2 ramblings thread.

Having hammered a newly promoted Division One twice in pre-season friendlies, a top South African state and making a neighbouring county grovel yesterday, we all know which Division 2 side will be changing places with which Division One side for 2020.
  • We won the proper cricket last year, would be nice to see us give it a go in the four-day stuff this year 
  • have any of the papers had a decent season preview yet ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    have any of the papers had a decent season preview yet ?
    The best preview will be the one that asks who you think will be runners up to Surrey in this season's county championship .

Love it there's no flag button available for your replies . ☺
  • MrOneLung said:
    Kent don't play until Sunday, they're waiting for the big teams to start before doing their season preview.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Kent don't play until Sunday, they're waiting for the big teams to start before doing their season preview.
    Kent play a two day friendly starting on Thursday against Sussex at Hove
  • Sussex to win division 2 one day tournament and T20
    I'd predict 4th in Division 2, nowhere in the One Day and Runners Up in the T20.
  • Sponsored links:

I'd predict 4th in Division 2, nowhere in the One Day and Runners Up in the T20.

Being a Sussex supporter, that is what I am hoping, but I would settle for promotion from div.2
  • MrOneLung said:
    Not sure. I think the counties want this changed, but not sure if they've been demoted yet

well the university scores were:

Glorified warm up games to get your batsmen in form and loosen up your bowlers.
  • They used to be closer, back when UCCE was a thing and loads of cricketers went through the system
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

well the university scores were:

Glorified warm up games to get your batsmen in form and loosen up your bowlers.
    2nd innings updates

153-4
    147-7
    125-6
    84-9
    103-6
    46 all out
  • I see there is a new fielding position in County Cricket this summer the backstop
  • I see there is a new fielding position in County Cricket this summer the backstop
    Irish?
  • I'd like to see a law change on"mankad"ing ...
    Irish?

To be sure
  • lolwray said:
    I'd like to see a law change on"mankad"ing ...
    How so? Make it so that a first warning is mandatory?
  • Sponsored links:

• It is necessary to have the law in place, but as Leuth says maybe a warning must be given first.

Having said that, this one looked like bowler trying to deceive the batsman.
  • Buttler didn't leave his crease until after you would normally expect Ashwin to release the ball.

Very poor form from Ashwin
  • Hopefully Ashwin's running between the wicket will now become somewhat suspect - the world and his mother will now be wanting to Mankad him which will, in turn, mean that he won't be backing up as his partner would, ordinarily, expect him to.
  • I'm torn. On the one hand, it does ram home that the non-striker has to be alert and only leave the crease after the ball is bowled. On the other, it was a cheap and unseemly way to pick up a vital wicket. I'm fine with mankading if there's a warning

Being a Sussex supporter, that is what I am hoping, but I would settle for promotion from div.2
    Good lad, i'm Sussex too, grew up and played for Horsham CC. Hopefully we will sort out are often frail top 4, too many times we get off to a blistering start only to lose quick wickets and be 50 odd for 3 or 4. That probably lost us promotion last season. Got to be nailed on for success in the White Ball format, with Rashid, Archer and Jordan. Can't see many better bowling attacks than that. 

How come you support Sussex mate ? 

• Another Sussex supporter here, I still don't think we have enough with the bat to be consistent in any format to be honest. Our bowling attack is far too good for Div 2 but we often find ourselves with no scoreboard pressure
  • Spanish said:
    Sussex to win division 2 one day tournament and T20

Good lad, i'm Sussex too, grew up and played for Horsham CC. Hopefully we will sort out are often frail top 4, too many times we get off to a blistering start only to lose quick wickets and be 50 odd for 3 or 4. That probably lost us promotion last season. Got to be nailed on for success in the White Ball format, with Rashid, Archer and Jordan. Can't see many better bowling attacks than that. 

How come you support Sussex mate ? 

I grew up in South East London, as a boy used to watch Surrey, that was the time they won the championship 7 times in the fifties, at that time we would go to Brighton for our holidays and I started going to Hove to watch Sussex and loved it there sitting in a deck chair, felt closer to the players than at the Oval and have been a fan ever since, was a member for many years, don't go now but still follow them
  • Another Sussex supporter here, I still don't think we have enough with the bat to be consistent in any format to be honest. Our bowling attack is far too good for Div 2 but we often find ourselves with no scoreboard pressure

I agree about the batting, but hope it improves this year
  • Another Sussex fan checking in. Do think the T20 is our best bet but only having Rashid for 8 games could prove awkward .Be interesting to see who comes in to replace him or if we stick with Briggs and Beer. 
  • Leuth said:
    lolwray said:
    I'd like to see a law change on"mankad"ing ...
    How so? Make it so that a first warning is mandatory?
    That's a start