Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2019

Comments

• I'll be at Hove tomorrow. I just hope Sussex aren't 158 for 34 at the end of the day.
  • Blake could hit 100 after 100 and he still wouldn’t make the red ball team. No idea why. Really hope he pushes on this year as he really is a fantastic player to watch 
    Blake is a great player to watch when he's in form. But he's 30 now and has had 62 First Class innings at an average of just 24.53. His One Day (30.06) and T20 (20.85) averages don't jump off the page either but one has to take into consideration that he rarely has an opportunity to play himself in where he bats in the shorter form of the game.

Having said that, scoring a ton today does him no harm and if that isn't enough to secure himself a start in our first CC match (without Denly and Billings) then, perhaps, he never will get that opportunity again.

• Well, that was easy
  • Sussex finish 375-7. Hopefully the pitch was easier on day 2...
  • Good news though I find watching cricket with one fixed camera is a fairly tedious business, though I imagine if there's a close finish I'll be glued to the screen!
  • Good news though I find watching cricket with one fixed camera is a fairly tedious business, though I imagine if there's a close finish I'll be glued to the screen!
    I do tend to agree with that - it is rather frustrating not knowing what has happened once the ball goes out of view. Which is most of the time!
    I do tend to agree with that - it is rather frustrating not knowing what has happened once the ball goes out of view. Which is most of the time!
    Probably not so bad for red ball matches, but with T20s the ball will spend a lot of time up in the air and out of camera shot!
  • Surrey have been doing this for a couple years now. Tge one fixed camera isnt great but as long as they overlay the BBC radio commentary it really does add something and is a lot better than just listening.

Obviously it'll never be as good as proper televised games but it does make a difference.
  • There is a Nabi bowling for Sunrisers Hyderabad. Got got 11-4 of his bowelling again RCB

is that the Nabi Kent have signed for the T20 comp? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stewart said:
    There is a Nabi bowling for Sunrisers Hyderabad. Got got 11-4 of his bowelling again RCB

is that the Nabi Kent have signed for the T20 comp? 
    Yes, same bloke.
  • Just re-read my last post. Terrible read. 

Thanks for the reply though Callumcafc 
  • Just read your post whilst doing a bit of bowelling myself ... 
  • Stewart said:
    Just re-read my last post. Terrible read. 

Thanks for the reply though Callumcafc 
    I look forward to see him bowelling the opposition players this summer!
  • Loughborough MCCU 182-3, easily the best score of any of the University teams playing. Our attack looks more toothless than Hums McGummy...
  • Anyone worried yet?? This bowling line up without henry isn’t taking 20 wickets per game 
  • Anyone worried yet?? This bowling line up without henry isn’t taking 20 wickets per game 
    Yes. It was a deliberate decision not to get an overseas replacement for Henry, a questionable one
  • Kent have named a 13 man squad for the CC game against Somerset starting tomorrow:

Heino Kuhn (captain), Daniel Bell-Drummond (vice captain), Alex Blake, Mitchell Claydon, Zak Crawley, Sean Dickson, Fred Klaassen, Matt Milnes, Harry Podmore, Matt Renshaw, Adam Riley, Ollie Robinson, Darren Stevens.

The most significant aspect is that Ollie Robinson has been given the gloves in front of Adam Rouse who isn't in the squad. Kent batted Rouse at 4 in their warm up games but he failed to manage a run in his three innings. 

• Kent have named a 13 man squad for the CC game against Somerset starting tomorrow:

Heino Kuhn (captain), Daniel Bell-Drummond (vice captain), Alex Blake, Mitchell Claydon, Zak Crawley, Sean Dickson, Fred Klaassen, Matt Milnes, Harry Podmore, Matt Renshaw, Adam Riley, Ollie Robinson, Darren Stevens.

The most significant aspect is that Ollie Robinson has been given the gloves in front of Adam Rouse who isn't in the squad. Kent batted Rouse at 4 in their warm up games but he failed to manage a run in his three innings. 

Rouse was hardly the only one to fail though! A bit harsh seeing that in this match he would be at 7 or 8 anyway

Rouse was hardly the only one to fail though! A bit harsh seeing that in this match he would be at 7 or 8 anyway
    To be fair to the others, in those two games Blake and Dickson both got tons, DBD scored 40 and 55* in the second match and Crawley hit 87. When you add Renshaw and Kuhn to that lot there wouldn't be room, as you state, for Rouse in the top 6 - had he been one of those that did get a score, I have no doubt that he would have played but, unfortunately, his return was three ducks.

I think that they are also looking to the future too - Rouse is still only 26 but Robinson is just 20 and Jordan Cox (who has just signed a 3 year contract) is 18. All three have played, in their time, for the England U19s.

Including Billings, that means we have four wicket keeper batsmen - some counties like Surrey, for example, can carry that many but virtually all of theirs are established top 6 bats too. Only Billings of those can be counted at the moment as such and Rouse, with a career average of just 23, is possibly the most vulnerable one of them at present.

Two things I can say from experience is that Rouse is not only a great bloke but he is also going to be an excellent coach - he is already on the road to becoming one which, given that some players only think about that 'til they have all but retired, is a credit to him. I've known Robinson since he was a baby and he is a fantastic lad and a credit to his family too.

In such less than clear cut situations it can be, as you say, "harsh" to drop an established player but that is very much the nature of professional sport.

• Sponsored links:

• Really pleased for Cox. His dad is a very well respected umpire in the KCL. 

To be fair to the others, in those two games Blake and Dickson both got tons, DBD scored 40 and 55* in the second match and Crawley hit 87. When you add Renshaw and Kuhn to that lot there wouldn't be room, as you state, for Rouse in the top 6 - had he been one of those that did get a score, I have no doubt that he would have played but, unfortunately, his return was three ducks.

I think that they are also looking to the future too - Rouse is still only 26 but Robinson is just 20 and Jordan Cox (who has just signed a 3 year contract) is 18. All three have played, in their time, for the England U19s.

Including Billings, that means we have four wicket keeper batsmen - some counties like Surrey, for example, can carry that many but virtually all of theirs are established top 6 bats too. Only Billings of those can be counted at the moment as such and Rouse, with a career average of just 23, is possibly the most vulnerable one of them at present.

Two things I can say from experience is that Rouse is not only a great bloke but he is also going to be an excellent coach - he is already on the road to becoming one which, given that some players only think about that 'til they have all but retired, is a credit to him. I've known Robinson since he was a baby and he is a fantastic lad and a credit to his family too.

In such less than clear cut situations it can be, as you say, "harsh" to drop an established player but that is very much the nature of professional sport.

Has Robinson actually kept wicket for the Kent first team before? If he is to make his debut with the gloves, a shame he wasn't given the chance in the 2 warm up games
  • I wonder if Kuhn might keep to get Blake and the extra bowler in 

Renshaw
    Crawley
    Dickson
    Kuhn
    DBD
    Blake
    Stevens
    Podmore
    Claydon/Riley
    Milnes
    Klaasen 

Has Robinson actually kept wicket for the Kent first team before? If he is to make his debut with the gloves, a shame he wasn't given the chance in the 2 warm up games
    I believe, from looking at the streamed footage, that they did actually share the keeping duties during the course of those matches.

Even if they didn't and so far as experience is concerned, Robinson was the England U19 keeper and kept for the 2nd X1 throughout last summer - so would have done so to Adam Riley (who he has kept to at club level too), Claydon, Stevens, Podmore and Klaassen leaving possibly just Milnes but, as I say, he might have done so in the warm up games.
  • wmcf123 said:
    I wonder if Kuhn might keep to get Blake and the extra bowler in 

Renshaw
    Crawley
    Dickson
    Kuhn
    DBD
    Blake
    Stevens
    Podmore
    Claydon/Riley
    Milnes
    Klaasen 
    I also don't think that we can rely on Stevens' batting any more which is why I would think we will include both Blake and Robinson.  

Equally, Kuhn hasn't kept in a match, as far as I'm aware, for at least a year. DBD has started bowling again so, with him doing so, we will either have 4 seamers and Riley or 5 seamers if we omit Riley.

• edited April 2019

Its all a bit tight in the CC1, but I think we will stay up. 
  • Somerset v Kent

Match delayed - inspection at 11:30 BST

• Inspection at 11:30
  • edited April 2019
    Pedro45 said:

Somerset v Kent

Match delayed - inspection at 11:30 BST

Shake hands on the draw, it's not as if we'll get any batting points anyway!
  • Good luck for the season my Kentish cousins.