Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 'how many Brits have died' mentality

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
Don't wish to darken the mood any more but I have to get this off me chest.

It really pees me off that when there is a disaster that involves massive loss of life our media always feel the need to specifially mention, or concentrate on, the number Brits who died, to make it look somehow worse. Now our foreign secretary is at it:

"This attack in Mumbai is an attack on all of us because democracy in India is vibrant and because Mumbai is one of the world's most diverse cities.

"The most terrible thing is that we do have one confirmed British fatality."

Er, no, Mr Miliband, while our sympathies go to the family of the man who died, I think you'll find the most terrible thing about this is that 130+ more people lost their lives. Twat.

Thank you. Rant over.

Comments

• Do you feel better now?
  • The real tragedy is the 130+ who have died, your correct, but you will always get a British take on it on a British news programme, the same in America when they report it, the same for any Australian victims/news programmes.

Dont see whats wrong with that, as long as they dont ignore the total numbers involved and report the whole story.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Do you feel better now?
    Yes! Nothing wrong with a British take at all and I'd expect it. That's not the same as inferring it somehow makes it worse, that it will makes us feel more enraged by there being British fatalities. And a foreign secretary should not be coming out with that.
  • why is this under jokes I'll never know.

Where's the HMS fleet when you need it
  • In his defence, Miliband is way too stupid to think before opening his mouth, but I share your disgust at this.
  • Strange post...not sure if I've ever considered this before and indeed why should I.....not sure why you need to get so wound up over this and point it out to us??
  • Look through old posts and there are loads of threads which you could say the same about, plenty of which I don't altogether see the point of and can't see why people have bothered. Don't mean to say their not valid, I just don't respond!
  • Its British news. Its more relevant because a British person died. If there was a car crash in Kenya you wouldnt know but if a British person died you would. Simple as that and certainly not worth getting wound up about.
  • I think the point is the phrase the most terrible thing... isn't correct and I agree.
  • I always feel the same way about these kind of reports where many many people have been killed and its the British fatalaties that are the major part of the news. The whole thing is a huge tragedy.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's natural to focus on your own losses, that's just human nature, every nation on Earth does it. Do you think for instance, say, the Russians are as intersested as any of the countries who've suffered fatalities? It matters more when your own are affected. That's just the way we are as a species.
  • Agree - IMO the reason one of the reasons the average yank was so shocked by 9/11 was they have always focused on American casualties and not the overall picture e.g. Bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in the 90's when a few hundred where killed yet on a handful of Americans killed made the whole thing not so news worthy. The media of course are the main culprits and probably the worse case of this was when the genocide in Rwanda happened the OJ trial that was occurring at the same time meant that none of the networks apart from PBS even considered the story news worthy.
  • [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Its British news. Its more relevant because a British person died. If there was a car crash in Kenya you wouldnt know but if a British person died you would. Simple as that and certainly not worth getting wound up about.

I suspect that if no brit had died then this story still would have got a high level of coverage.

It is annoying when there is the reporting that over hypes the british involvement, but I bet in the USA there is much overhyping of their involvemnt and if there were no amercians in the hotels it would not get a bi line in most of their media
  • edited November 2008
    By the sound of it the real story isn't the Brits who were killed but the Brits who were pulling the triggers.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]By the sound of it the real story isn't the Brits who were killed but the Brits who were pulling the triggers.[/quote]

I know what I'd like to happen to those "Brits", and it isn't nice. But they'd deserve every bit of it.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]The real tragedy is the 130+ who have died, your correct, but you will always get a British take on it on a British news programme, the same in America when they report it, the same for any Australian victims/news programmes.

Dont see whats wrong with that, as long as they dont ignore the total numbers involved and report the whole story.

Best said couple of paragraphs in this thread
  • You're right there Santa and someone over here must know who they are.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]You're right there Santa and someone over here must know who they are.

If you're right can you imagine the **** storm that a request for extradition from the Indian authorities would kick up.
  • The only certain thing is ihat the legal profession wouldn't suffer!
  • A few of us me included need to have a bit of a think about what we just said. 100+ poor souls lost their lives in innocence, I hate being serious on here but maybe we should not make jokes/light and spare a though instead. That is not meant as a dig chaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its the same the world over. CCN has some leads re the American dead----French news has the French-----Qatar papers the Qataries.

Saw the Chief Rabi from New York on TV last night, his speach was very moving.
  • What a surprise, two of the gunman are allegedly from Bradford, if arrested & charged I wonder what computer course or wedding their defence lawyers and family will say they were on?
  • I wonder if the MPs who raised a stink re the "Brit" killed in a bomb blast by the Yanks few days back,will be shouting the odds about these Brits as well.
  • Galloway on "TALKsport" last night said that none of the gunmen were from the UK, the press made it up ( NO; really ?).