Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Erhun Oztumer (pg.24 on loan to Bristol Rovers)

Comments

• We had a number of former youth players returning during the Powell years (Green, Haynes and Wilson), not had any others since?
    Albie Morgan?
  • He scored with a header at The Valley 2 seasons ago.
    Bearing in mind our budget I'd love him.
    He's better than Williams & Reeves IMO and not as injury prone.
    Oztumer is 28, was playing in non league a few years ago and has played 14 games above league one level. Last season he could hardly get in a shocking bolton side.
    Williams is 25, an international and his few games with us are the lowest level he's ever played at. 

Stretching it a bit to say Oztumer is better?

That said, i do agree he'd be worth signing on a free as we need bodies through the door.
    Oztumer scored 30 in 86 games for Walsall.
    This is very impressive for a midfielder.
    Williams scored 3 league goals in 134 games.
    Different types of player but still a huge difference. 
  • edited June 2019
    Guess the problem with Erhun at the moment is he's still technically under Contract for another year - I presume that with Bolton now under administrators they'll now want some kind of small fee for him to pay off the debts (If thats how they work) rather than it being in January where those in charge @ Bolton just wanted him off the wage bill for another player

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467381
  • Good player. Ran the midfield for Walsall v us a couple of seasons ago, and, as someone else said, scored with a header.
  • Guess the problem with Erhun at the moment is he's still technically under Contract for another year - I presume that with Bolton now under administrators they'll now want some kind of small fee for him to pay off the debts (If thats how they work) rather than it being in January where those in charge @ Bolton just wanted him off the wage bill for another player

Bolton players are able to cancel their contract at no cost due to not being paid for a number of months.
  • One thing I do remember Walsall fans saying is that to make a success of him you have to completely build the team around him. I wonder how that would work, couldn't see it working with a diamond
    Oztumer is 28, was playing in non league a few years ago and has played 14 games above league one level. Last season he could hardly get in a shocking bolton side.
    Williams is 25, an international and his few games with us are the lowest level he's ever played at. 

That said, i do agree he'd be worth signing on a free as we need bodies through the door.
    I'd sign him regardless if only 6 players or 26 report to pre-season training. The fact Bowyer and Gallen are so keen is very positive.

Isn't he known as The Turkish Messi? Won't be long until he's nicknamed The Turkish Church once he's been Charltonized!
  • Just had a quick look at their games Vs Bolton and Millwall in 2016/17 season, both games played a 4231 with Oztumer as the 10. It could work I suppose with Taylor as a lone front man, if we kept Aribo and bought another good ball carrier 3 behind Taylor could work really well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi Karl
  • Not sure he is a championship player
  • Scoham said:
    Hi Karl
    I know that's tongue in cheek but 4231 is a much better formation than a diamond the higher you climb the football pyramid, more support and more options. Diamonds get exposed so easily on the flanks and with the wingers we will be up against next season it could get ugly some games 

When we used it, it was simply a case of right formation, wrong players and certainly the wrong man
  • se9addick said:
    From Bolton to Charlton, bloke doesn’t have much luck! 
    Really? I must have missed it, but I don't remember Charlton having to give a team a 1-0 victory, because the players going on strike because they hadn't been paid!
    Sorry, was just a joke...
  • edited June 2019
    Every formation has its pros and cons, 4231 included. You just need the right players for the formation you want to employ.

There are deficiencies in the 4-4-2 diamond which are usually exposed at a higher level unless you have top quality full backs that can handle the wings being overloaded. Not sure I have the confidence in Dijksteel and Page to manage that at Championship level.

The cons of 4231 is that you need skilled midfielders that can pass and move or the middle of the pitch gets congested and you can’t create openings in the oppositions back line, see the Karl Robinson days...
  • As Bowyer said in the Bromley Addicks meeting and as he showed in the Play-Off Final!!

Its also good Management to be able to have more than just the one formation up your sleeve so that when one isnt working, you can switch it with ease

4-2-3-1 worked at times under Robinson but his inability to change it when it wasnt working has probably given some fans a negative view on it
  • Every formation has its pros and cons, 4231 included. You just need the right players for the formation you want to employ.

There are deficiencies in the 4-4-2 diamond which are usually exposed at a higher level unless you have top quality full backs that can handle the wings being overloaded.

The cons of 4231 is that you need skilled midfielders that can pass and move or the middle of the pitch gets congested and you can’t create openings in the oppositions back line, see the Karl Robinson days...
    You need intelligent midfielders in diamond system as either the wider of the midfielders have to track back or the sitting midfielder has to go over to cover 2 v 1s. 
  • As Bowyer said in the Bromley Addicks meeting and as he showed in the Play-Off Final!!

Its also good Management to be able to have more than just the one formation up your sleeve so that when one isnt working, you can switch it with ease

4-2-3-1 worked at times under Robinson but his inability to change it when it wasnt working has probably given some fans a negative view on it
    This. Under Robinson never had the first goal been so important in a game.

There was a spell when we slumped in Robinson's first season around Feb/Mar time when we flirted with relegation, we kept on conceding first and you'd visibly see the players body language turn into a slump, heads dropping etc.

But if we went 1-0 up we'd often go on to win well.

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 diamond both work well and have there flaws. The quality of player shouldn't be too relevant to how well a system works or not.
  • edited June 2019
    Guess the problem with Erhun at the moment is he's still technically under Contract for another year - I presume that with Bolton now under administrators they'll now want some kind of small fee for him to pay off the debts (If thats how they work) rather than it being in January where those in charge @ Bolton just wanted him off the wage bill for another player

If he's not being paid mate surely he has the right to have his contact cancelled no? Breach of contract isn't a one way street is it?
  • We cannot play 4-2-3-1 with Taylor upfront because he is rarely there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I prefer the 4-2-3-2 system :) 
  • edited June 2019
    As Bowyer said in the Bromley Addicks meeting and as he showed in the Play-Off Final!!

This. Under Robinson never had the first goal been so important in a game.

There was a spell when we slumped in Robinson's first season around Feb/Mar time when we flirted with relegation, we kept on conceding first and you'd visibly see the players body language turn into a slump, heads dropping etc.

But if we went 1-0 up we'd often go on to win well.

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 diamond both work well and have there flaws. The quality of player shouldn't be too relevant to how well a system works or not.
    Not a dig @ Robinson but think we only ever won once (?) under him when we conceded the first goal

The same fear struck me when we went 1-0 down against Plymouth at the start of the season, we of course won 2-1 yet as the season progressed (inc. last Sunday) there hasnt been once under Bowyer where I've been scared once we've conceded first as know there is a bloody good chance we'll get back into the game
  • RedChaser said:

If he's not being paid mate surely he has the right to have his contact cancelled no? Breach of contract isn't a one way street is it?
    Are players still not being paid though...? With Administrators involved you'd hope that all staff (players and those in the background) are now getting their wages

Again I dont know how it works and I presume to an extent that Administrators only care about clearing the debts rather than ensuring people get paid their dues
  • edited June 2019
    RedChaser said:

Are players still not being paid though...? With Administrators involved you'd hope that all staff (players and those in the background) are now getting their wages

Again I dont know how it works and I presume to an extent that Administrators only care about clearing the debts rather than ensuring people get paid their dues
    Yes you're probably right. Presumably they'll want to keep it ticking over as a going concern but they are going to have to run on overdraft until they raise funds from the sale of assets or add outgoings into the future sale price together with their own costs. However there was a point when Preston were sending food parcels for the Bolton staff maybe that was before the administrators moved in.
  • RedChaser said:

Administrators want to get as much money in as possible but pay out as little as possible so there’s money available to pay their fees. 
  • We had a number of former youth players returning during the Powell years (Green, Haynes and Wilson), not had any others since?
    Albie Morgan?
    He never left?
  • C_A_F_C said:
    We had a number of former youth players returning during the Powell years (Green, Haynes and Wilson), not had any others since?
    Albie Morgan?
    He never left?
    Yes he did... Left the Academy and went to play Sunday League for a while

Got re-signed to the Academy after impressing in a trial

Oztumer scored 30 in 86 games for Walsall.
    This is very impressive for a midfielder.
    Williams scored 3 league goals in 134 games.
    He didn't score for us and never really looked like he would.
    He also ripped us a new one single handily at the valley
  • Scoham said:
    Hi Karl
    I know that's tongue in cheek but 4231 is a much better formation than a diamond the higher you climb the football pyramid, more support and more options. Diamonds get exposed so easily on the flanks and with the wingers we will be up against next season it could get ugly some games 

When we used it, it was simply a case of right formation, wrong players and certainly the wrong man
    Any formation could work with the right players. Sheff Utd went up playing 3-5-2 while it was only a few years ago Leicester won the Prem playing 4-4-2.

It’ll be interesting to see if Bowyer sticks with two strikers and if he brings in any wingers.

Taylor’s the most complete striker we’ve had at League 1 level (Yann didn’t have pace). Playing as a lone striker didn’t suit him, and that won’t get easier in the Championship.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Hi Karl

Any formation could work with the right players. Sheff Utd went up playing 3-5-2 while it was only a few years ago Leicester won the Prem playing 4-4-2.

It’ll be interesting to see if Bowyer sticks with two strikers and if he brings in any wingers.

Taylor’s the most complete striker we’ve had at League 1 level (Yann didn’t have pace). Playing as a lone striker didn’t suit him, and that won’t get easier in the Championship.
    Tbf I guess that's the reason why I don't like 41212, we don't have the typical modern day wing backs who can get up and down and put a killer ball in.

Only thing I would say about Lyle is him dropping back starts from players not coping behind him if our fullbacks were better/had better protection then people wouldn't be dragged around as much. This is where it's going to be interesting next season, first ten games or so will really give us an idea of where we are at