Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand Slam

Congratulations to England having become the first team ever to win the men's Grand Slam: the World Cup in the three most important sports, football, rugby and cricket. 

I think it will be some time before another team achieves it. 

Comments

• I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
  • Huddersfield must have come close. 
    Unbeaten in about 67 years 
    Last defeat was 7-6 on 21/12/57
  • Chizz said:
    Congratulations to England having become the first team ever to win the men's Grand Slam: the World Cup in the three most important sports, football, rugby and cricket. 

I think Australia might have a chance in 2022 in Qatar.
  • Surely that's baseball basketball and "gridiron" only one country been winning the world series of those
  • I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
    You could add those.  But you would be wrong to do so.  Because, as you say, the Tour de France isn't a "World Cup" team event, and tennis is, well, tennis, frankly. 
  • We punch above our weight in the world.
  • What makes them the most important sports? Basketball and Ice Hockey are more widely played than Cricket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
    You could add those.  But you would be wrong to do so.  Because, as you say, the Tour de France isn't a "World Cup" team event, and tennis is, well, tennis, frankly. 
    Then again both Mark Cavendish and Tom Simpson have won the Rainbow Jersey which is the World Road Championships so that IS the cycling World Cup
  • Considering we invented all three which other sports we invented have we won a world cup in?

Polo?
    Bowls?
    Darts?
    Snooker
    Netball
    Rugby League?
    Hockey?

• Chizz said:
    I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
    I would defy anyone to watch today’s Wimbledon final and not class tennis one of the great sports. If cricket gets that classification then tennis definitely deserves it too.

No doubting which is the greatest sport though!
  • McBobbin said:
    Surely that's baseball basketball and "gridiron" only one country been winning the world series of those
    USA, Cuba and S Korea have won Olympic golds at baseball while Japan and USA have won the grid iron world cup (IFAF).  But neither sport is anywhere near on par with football, rugby and cricket.  So those sports are disqualified. 

• se9addick said:
    We punch above our weight in the world.
    I was actually thinking how incredible New Zealand’s sporting prowess is given that they have a smaller population than Scotland. 
    Undoubtedly.  But also beyond sport, England/ the UK punch.
  • se9addick said:
    I was actually thinking how incredible New Zealand’s sporting prowess is given that they have a smaller population than Scotland. 
    But they don't live on diet of deep fried mars bars,haggis and Irn bru. 
  • se9addick said:
    But they don't live on diet of deep fried mars bars,haggis and Irn bru. 
    They don’t know what they’re missing ! 
  • se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    I would defy anyone to watch today’s Wimbledon final and not class tennis one of the great sports. If cricket gets that classification then tennis definitely deserves it too.

Which country won today's World Cup at Wimbledon..?

• se9addick said:
    Do you think? I’m not sure it’s true, we are a rich western country with a relatively large population - about the same as France - and that’s about where we punch in most things. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    Do you think? I’m not sure it’s true, we are a rich western country with a relatively large population - about the same as France - and that’s about where we punch in most things. 
    Yes. Yes I do.
  • Considering we invented all three which other sports we invented have we won a world cup in?

Polo?
    Bowls?
    Darts?
    Snooker
    Netball
    Rugby League?
    Hockey?

I don't think England have finished better than second in the Polo World "Cup" or in the netball World Cup or in the Rugby League World Cup (although GB have won it) or the hockey world cup.
  • Only another 64 years to wait for the next one then.
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

Stupid point because nobody is disputing that. The Davis Cup is the World Cup of Tennis although the format makes it less special IMO.

Although as per your usual riddles I am assuming you meant the three most important sports where there is a World Cup?
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    But we are better than France at Sport. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

Are Qatar hosting another World Cup other than the Football then?
  • Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

Stupid point because nobody is disputing that. The Davis Cup is the World Cup of Tennis although the format makes it less special IMO.

Although as per your usual riddles I am assuming you meant the three most important sports where there is a World Cup?
    Oh.  Someone's taking this thread a bit seriously!  

I think football, rugby and cricket are, by a long way, the three most important sports in which national teams compete for a world cup.  Today, we became the first country to have held all of them, in the men's version.  That's all. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

Qatar are hosting the only one - of the three - that Australia have not yet won.  And, while they're unlikely to win it, they may be closer than anyone else to win the Grand Slam, after England.
  • Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

Qatar are hosting the only one - of the three - that Australia have not yet won.  And, while they're unlikely to win it, they may be closer than anyone else to win the Grand Slam, after England.
    I'd say that New Zealand are just as close as Australia to winning all three
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

Oh.  Someone's taking this thread a bit seriously!  

I think football, rugby and cricket are, by a long way, the three most important sports in which national teams compete for a world cup.  Today, we became the first country to have held all of them, in the men's version.  That's all. 
    Too drunk to take anything seriously at the minute!

And I was making the point that it appears people are interpreting your original statement to mean you are saying Rugby, Cricket and Football to be the three most important sports, rather than they have the three most important 'World Cups'.