Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Erhun Oztumer (pg.24 on loan to Bristol Rovers)

Comments

• I know he was playing in a struggling side but even so, Magennis only scored 4 goals in 42 games last season.

Anyone who wants us to resign him needs their head testing.
    Or they know a bit about football and can see there is a player in there. I saw him have some very poor games for us and also some excellent ones. I also saw his form drop after Northern Ireland got knocked out the World cup. Should we ignore his form before that? His hat-trick against Bristol Rovers was one of the most dominant performances I have seen from a Charlton player, bar none!

You do need a dynamic to pose problems and Taylor and Magennis has potential in this respect. Is it likely, no. Would it be a risk, yes. But could it work? Yes to that too.
    Any player can have a good game every now and then. Lisbie scored a hat trick against Liverpool once. And yes Magennis did get a hat trick against Bristol Rovers, but aside from that he also only scored 7 goals the rest of the season.

Bowyer didn't want him in league one, so why do you think he'd be a good option in a higher division?

The fact is that he is a striker and over his career, he averages 1 goal every 6.2 games. In a 46 game season, that's 7 goals. You obviously beg to differ, but for me that isn't good enough and we must look for a better striker. 
  • Magennis was always played as a static one man attack for Charlton whose job was to stand and chat to the two central defenders until a ball was pumped up in the general direction of towards him for him to either race the defenders to try and get or to jump high in the air to somehow miraculously take possess if it. He would inevitably lose possession and the ball would come right back at us as the opposition attacked us yet again. This tactic was often referred to as Plan A and stuck to rigidly on the assumption that even a stopped clock must be right every 12 hours.  Judging him on that tactic is a bit unfair. 
  • Magennis was always played as a static one man attack for Charlton whose job was to stand and chat to the two central defenders until a ball was pumped up in the general direction of towards him for him to either race the defenders to try and get or to jump high in the air to somehow miraculously take possess if it. He would inevitably lose possession and the ball would come right back at us as the opposition attacked us yet again. This tactic was often referred to as Plan A and stuck to rigidly on the assumption that even a stopped clock must be right every 12 hours.  Judging him on that tactic is a bit unfair. 
    Judging him on his entire career brings about the same conclusion though.

He's not very good.
    What about the 12 games under bowyer at the end of his tenure where we played two up top and he was dropped for Zyro until he got injured.
  • Robinson’s system didn’t help but we can still compare his strengths and weaknesses with Taylor who replaced him. Taylor has much more technical ability being one obvious difference. Could you imagine Magennis attempting that chip Taylor scored in FA Cup (I think), never mind actually pulling it off?

Magennis is a physical and hard working player, but clearly not a natural goalscorer. The rest of his game such as his touch and being a creative threat aren’t good enough to make up for it.

Despite playing in Robinson’s system for much of his time here I think we saw enough of Magennis over two seasons to know he isn’t good enough.
    No he didn’t- he was played in a 442 for the end of last season- inept 
  • Who else (on our budget) could we get as cover for Taylor then? 
  • edited July 2019
    Magennis was always played as a static one man attack for Charlton whose job was to stand and chat to the two central defenders until a ball was pumped up in the general direction of towards him for him to either race the defenders to try and get or to jump high in the air to somehow miraculously take possess if it. He would inevitably lose possession and the ball would come right back at us as the opposition attacked us yet again. This tactic was often referred to as Plan A and stuck to rigidly on the assumption that even a stopped clock must be right every 12 hours.  Judging him on that tactic is a bit unfair. 
    I agree with you.  It's a tad unfair to judge Magennis on his thankless task as a lone striker.  I recall him winning many balls in the air, yet inevitably his touches fell to the opposition.  Occasionally he had a partner in Ajose - who was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

His career scoring rate of one goal every 6.4 games is not spectacular, and I have to agree with those who say he isn't a "natural" goalscorer.  There were some glaring, clumsy misses: remember Wimbledon away, from three yards out.  One correspondent on CL summed up a particularly hapless display: "Kaikai is hiding again, and Magennis has the subtlety of a jackhammer..."   
    The problem being he never won the race or the header, and as you say, if he did win possession he inevitably lost it. Add to that his poor first touch and the fact that he didn’t score goals and you have a crap player.

I liked him. ;-)
  • I think Magennis is a limited player but not half as bad as some on here are making out. If our budget is really limited he could serve as a squad player but if we have higher aspirations then it's a No.

Who we sign is limited by our pitiful budget.
  • Sponsored links:

• Josh Parker or Mageniss id take mageniss every time. For that reason he’d be an improvement imo 
  • Josh Parker or Mageniss id take mageniss every time. For that reason he’d be an improvement imo 
    Good comparison.

Which says it all.

I agree by the way, but both not good enough in the 1st division, let alone the Championship.
  • The “Magennis would be a good squad player” is only an argument if we need squad players, we don’t, we need ones that will likely start. 
    Except that’s not true up front though unless you want to drop Taylor?

Midfield yes we need starters but we also need a striker to cover Taylor and probably another CB who would start as cover for Lockyer. 
  • The “Magennis would be a good squad player” is only an argument if we need squad players, we don’t, we need ones that will likely start. 

Midfield yes we need starters but we also need a striker to cover Taylor and probably another CB who would start as cover for Lockyer. 
    I don’t want to drop Taylor I want a player to start next to him, we play two upfront.
  • Anyway, Oztumer signing this week according to Vitality Charlton Twitter.

We still haven't replaced Grant, so we need another striker who can start. Ideally i think we need 2 strikers, 1 to start, 1 more as backup. Bonne will also be backup.

Plus a centre back, Cullen, Bielik and Oztumer.
  • Anyway, Oztumer signing this week according to Vitality Charlton Twitter.
    We'll have to adapt the Solly chant - cos he really is 5ft 3".
  • cafc-west said:
    Anyway, Oztumer signing this week according to Vitality Charlton Twitter.
    We'll have to adapt the Solly chant - cos he really is 5ft 3".
    Seen as Bauer’s gone how about “small fuckin Turk, we’ve got a small fuckin Turk!”
  • He's British-born, isn't he? Small fuckin Erhun
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    He's British-born, isn't he? Small fuckin Erhun
    I don’t know man, was just an off the cuff reply.
  • I know, I know. 'Erhun' sounds like 'German' though

He's not very good.
    A tad harsh, the hatrick he got against Bristol was proof that he can be a very good goalscorer. 
  • I’m pretty certain he went Crown Woods.
  • Leuth said:
    I know, I know. 'Erhun' sounds like 'German' though
    Not if you say it like this..  Er hun, how long's dinner gonna be? 
  •  There were some glaring, clumsy misses: remember Wimbledon away, from three yards out. 
    Ironically Taylor also missed an absolute sitter at Wimbledon away last season, thankfully it didnt come back to haunt us as we all know how that one ended. 
  • I worry how fit Oxtumer will be, with the shambolic pre season Bolton have had
  • edited July 2019
    We need a replacement for Grant, who will most likely be a loan from a premier league club.

The A N Other will partner Taylor as the first choice front two imho with Aneke or Oztumer playing behind as the no.10.

Bonne is the cover my A N Other but Magennis could be affordable cover for Lyle.

He's not Lyle and he's not as good but he could be an option.

Or maybe Bowyer doesn't fancy him at all and has other plans.

I have to say this seems to be a major factor. Bow's has been clear that Bonne is going to be support, which tells us that he has a planned target for the role, probably on loan from the Premier League.

I'd assume we're simply holding out for confirmation from their club that the player hasn't done enough in pre-season to stay at their club, we probably have 2/3 options of varying quality. 
  • At Dulwich they used to sing (still do on occasion):

I heard a rumour,
    Erhan Oztumer,
    He came from Turkey,
    To bring us joy
    He's five foot two-oo
    He's pink and blue-oo
    Oh please don't take my Erhan away.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Magennis was always played as a static one man attack for Charlton whose job was to stand and chat to the two central defenders until a ball was pumped up in the general direction of towards him for him to either race the defenders to try and get or to jump high in the air to somehow miraculously take possess if it. He would inevitably lose possession and the ball would come right back at us as the opposition attacked us yet again. This tactic was often referred to as Plan A and stuck to rigidly on the assumption that even a stopped clock must be right every 12 hours.  Judging him on that tactic is a bit unfair. 

He's not very good.
    A tad harsh, the hatrick he got against Bristol was proof that he can be a very good goalscorer. 
    It doesn't prove anything of the sort, it just means he had a fantastic day.