Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor penalties

Quite a few have commented on LT's penalty style, and some have said that they hate it.

Look at some of them again. So much of that slow walk up is psyching out the keeper. On that long slow walk, he never takes his eyes off of one side of the goal. And I mean, his head is turned to that side, not just his eyes. The goalkeeper can probably not help but react.

And when Lyle hits the penalty, he always hits it to the opposite side...

Comments

• Options
    Must admit, he fills me with total confidence - and his record proves that - however, i am waiting for the time when he spends so much time looking at the goal and goalkeeper that he scuffs his shot and it dribbles to the goalie - im sure it wont happen.
  • Options
    Quite a few have commented on LT's penalty style, and some have said that they hate it.

Look at some of them again. So much of that slow walk up is psyching out the keeper. On that long slow walk, he never takes his eyes off of one side of the goal. And I mean, his head is turned to that side, not just his eyes. The goalkeeper can probably not help but react.

And when Lyle hits the penalty, he always hits it to the opposite side...
    I agree he is psyching out the keeper. Personally I don’t care if he takes one step or goes back and starts his run up at the half way line as long as it hits the net. 

I noticed last season he stares at one corner. I think he mostly goes to the other but on one occasion he definitely went the side he was staring at. He needs to do that because looking at one side and going the other is the oldest trick in the book. 
  • Options
    I din't like it the first few times I saw it, but seeing as he hasn't missed you have to admit it works. It works for Taylor anyway.
  • Options
    The goalkeeper always slightly leans to one side before he dives. Lyle notices that and puts it the other side. Surely keepers will start to notice what Lyle does, and they’ll body feint one way and then dive the other.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I actually like it now. Expect I won't again when he misses. 
  • Options
    Yeah, Lyle is trying to get the keeper to commit before he decides where to place the ball.

• Options
    I think that the reason it works is that 99 times out of 100 the keeper moves before the kick is taken. With Lyle walking up it would be too obvious if the keeper moved and if he did Lyle still has time to adjust and put it the other side.
  • Options
    Would there be an advantage in not taking a run up at all?  

If the player placed his standing foot next to the ball and paused in his backlift, he could place the ball inside whichever post he chose and the keeper would have no time to start his dive.  When you run up to the ball, the keeper is given all the information he needs to be able to tell exactly when the kick will be taken and can "time" his dive appropriately.  But if you don't give him that information - ie by not running up - surely you would guarantee scoring, even if the keeper guesses the right way, because his timing would be "out". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

If the player placed his standing foot next to the ball and paused in his backlift, he could place the ball inside whichever post he chose and the keeper would have no time to start his dive.  When you run up to the ball, the keeper is given all the information he needs to be able to tell exactly when the kick will be taken and can "time" his dive appropriately.  But if you don't give him that information - ie by not running up - surely you would guarantee scoring, even if the keeper guesses the right way, because his timing would be "out". 
    No 
    Fair enough
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No 
    Fair enough
     ;) 
  • Options
    I reckon soon a ref will time him out or book him for ungentlrmanky conduct. Its the Charlton way.
  • Options
    His technique is essentially a game of chicken with the keeper. Approaching the ball slowly rather than running up allows Lyle to make an absolutely last minute adjustment depending on where the keeper goes. Even if the keeper doesn't commit Lyle should be accurate enough to beat him as it takes longer to get down if you don't commit. The potential flaws are that he misskicks and essentially passes it to the keeper or the keeper manages to dummy him in some way. It is very effective. There is also an element of “look at me I'm Billy BigBollocks” about it which Lyle can carry off. Many others couldn’t. 
  • Options
    I don’t recall him having that style when he first joined us. Did he?
  • Options
    I saw him score yesterday and to say I was curious and confused is an understatement. I actually thought he was stepping up to adjust the ball as some players do. When he kicked it past the keeper I wasn't sure for a moment whether the ref was going to call it back. My next thought was "What a cool fella" then delirium broke out. 
  • Options
    Frightens the Barry out of me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course if you do it this way and then miss you really do look like a complete and utter bell-end. When it works you're justifiably confident. When it doesn't you're just a cocky little shit.

So let's hope he maintains a 100% record!
  • Options
    He needs to mix it up by adding a ball replacement, then start again.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure he’s got the pills to deal with a couple of misses too. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sooner or later a GK will guess right and as Lyle doesn’t put a lot of pace on the ball it will be an easy save. I much prefer the Clive Mendonca  school of penalty taking.
  • Options
    Worries the shite out of me, but I guess he has bigger  bits than me. 
  • Options
    Just smash it top corner, none of this walking up to it shit
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Yeah, Lyle is trying to get the keeper to commit before he decides where to place the ball.

Yup that’s exactly it and the slow walk helps him assess what to do. 
  • Options
    Did'nt he do the same pen against doncaster at the Valley, in the play offs.
  • Options
    If it works for him, i couldn't care less if he does a cartwheel on his walk up.

I guess most people would probably prefer a standard run up and smash it like Shearer or Julian Dicks though.