Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Back to back promotions to Premier League...

Do we dare to dream?

Only three teams have achieved it in the last twenty eight seasons:

Southampton 2010-12
Norwich 2009-11
Watford 1997-99

Could there be a 4th team this season???

Comments

• shine166 said:
    Nope 

14 points down, 36 to go 
    This.

A journey is made of many steps and our first staging post is 50 points. As Bowyer said on 5 live after today's game once we get that then we can see where we might push on to.

Great start though.
  • Waaay too soon. 
  • Whilst it’s nice to think it possible, it’s unrealistic.

in any case, we have an owner that will probably do all he can to derail it come January if we are doing well. 
  • Never been achieved by a team winning the Play-Offs
  • Not a chance.
  • Next season we could be fighting for a champions league place
    If we go up I expect Bowyer to emulate the last Charlton man to take us from third tier to top tier in successive seasons!!

Nothing less than second spot in the Premier League will do for me
     What if we win the playoffs again? I know it's a silly suggestion as we're clearly going up via autos... But would be a double record.
  • I think there is a certain amount of Charlton being an unknown quantity at the moment. Plus a lot of teams seen to take 10 games until they properly hit their stride. BUT, I think Bowyer is a bit of a genius. I've always thought a midfielder knows the game better than anyone. And added to Bowyer is Jacko, another midfielder. So tactically we are in the best hands possible. 

Personally I'm keeping the end of May clear once again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Never been achieved by a team winning the Play-Offs
     What if we win the playoffs again? I know it's a silly suggestion as we're clearly going up via autos... But would be a double record.
    Did a stat on the Countdown to Promotion thread

If you include the Conference; Tranmere Rovers are the only team to ever win back to back promotions on both occasions via. the Play-Offs 
  • We've got a shout which is more than any of us thought we'd have a week before the season started. We'll have to be incredibly lucky with player form and injuries and our next transfer window will have to be another blinder (retention as well as recruitment) if its going to happen. 
  • Feck it - of course we can. You only have to look at the likes of Norwich and Sheff U in recent seasons to know its possible.
    I know its a very un Charlton trait, but....be positive.
  • Easy Peasy next year we’ll be minted!
  • Next season we could be fighting for a champions league place
    If we go up I expect Bowyer to emulate the last Charlton man to take us from third tier to top tier in successive seasons!!

And get a stand named after him.

• edited August 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Next season we could be fighting for a champions league place

And get a stand named after him.

Gotta get to successive FA Cup Finals before we go that far

Be remarkable though wouldnt it, surpasses Jimmy Seed's win ratio and manages the exact same achievements

Which I hate to say would be far greater now than when Jimmy achieved it (taking nothing away from the great man!!)
  • Scoham said:
    It’s definitely possible, if you think we don’t have any chance then you haven’t realised what we’ve got here.

Spending has increased in this league but it’s still a division in which Michael Morrison is a good solid player. That’s not to say he’s a bad player at all, I rated him for us, but with the money clubs are spending you’d think they’d be able to afford centre backs with more pace and ability on the ball. Transfer fees and wage bills have gone up but the standard hasn’t improved in the same way.

Effort still goes a long way and we’ve got plenty of that throughout the squad. And yet it’s not at the expense of skill and ability on the ball. Brentford for all their possession had as Bowyer pointed out a midfielder who didn’t want to track back and that led to Gallagher’s goal. If these expensive signings were that good they wouldn’t be signing for Championship clubs.

Perhaps the test will be playing with the same energy for a full season. I’m not too worried though as fitness is something Bowyer prioritises. Challenging for the play-offs might prove a step too far in the end but we shouldn’t write it off. For me it’s more likely than a relegation battle.
    i think Brentford had a defender who didnt want to track back.
  • Not sure how many teams have gone on to get back to back promotions from the third tier to the top tier in English history, I wonder who the first team to do this were ? 

4th bottom and a finish above millwall will do me ta very much 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    It’s definitely possible, if you think we don’t have any chance then you haven’t realised what we’ve got here.

Spending has increased in this league but it’s still a division in which Michael Morrison is a good solid player. That’s not to say he’s a bad player at all, I rated him for us, but with the money clubs are spending you’d think they’d be able to afford centre backs with more pace and ability on the ball. Transfer fees and wage bills have gone up but the standard hasn’t improved in the same way.

Effort still goes a long way and we’ve got plenty of that throughout the squad. And yet it’s not at the expense of skill and ability on the ball. Brentford for all their possession had as Bowyer pointed out a midfielder who didn’t want to track back and that led to Gallagher’s goal. If these expensive signings were that good they wouldn’t be signing for Championship clubs.

Perhaps the test will be playing with the same energy for a full season. I’m not too worried though as fitness is something Bowyer prioritises. Challenging for the play-offs might prove a step too far in the end but we shouldn’t write it off. For me it’s more likely than a relegation battle.
    Good post, Scoham.

We've got a team with energy, mobility, the willingness to fight for each other, hungry for success.
    They don't know when they are beaten.

And they can play too.

We've got decent quality throughout the squad - look at our bench today, not one passenger or overawed unproven kid.
    On top of that, Bowyer has a gameplan that the players understand and take on board. If warranted, he's not afraid to change formation,  tactics and players during the game.

But best of all, as Bowyer is always telling us if only we'd listen ...... every game he expects 3 points, we are set up to win.
    His positive mindset is breathed by the players and will take us much further than many expect - just like it did last season.

• Not only were we the first side to do it, we finished runners up the next season in Division one.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Never been achieved by a team winning the Play-Offs
    No chance......We can’t play Sunderland.
  • We could get consecutive promotions to the Premier League at some stage.  But this season is all about making sure that two-season run from L1 to the Premier League doesn't start next season.  

The prize this year is staying up.  (And preventing Leeds going up on the last day of the season, of course). 
  • edited August 2019
    Stop it now. I can’t face the thought of RD being the owner. 

Roland Out!
    We are pioneers : Keith Peacock , first time in any playoffs, first political party 
  •  or as curbs would say 'praps