Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Singing the wrong words to chants

edited September 2019 in General Charlton

Breaks down into two categories:

Intentional (normally for parental reasons)

We've deliberately been singing a version of Allez Allez, Allez since the start that leaves out the f***ing 'We are dynamite'

I tried to explain against Forest that their support were duck & sheep instead of the more agricultural version.

And its well known that many people have proclaimed that South London is full of chips and grannies.

Unintentional (ie. a bit stoopid)

We've all had people sitting near us over the years who have sung 'We are Charlton, Cupboard End / Coming In' instead of the Covered End

the latest entry is I've been staggered this season just how many people still seem to be 'on the waaaaay' to the Championship instead of the Premier League.

Anyone got any other examples of intentional / unintentional incorrect singing they've been guilty of or heard from others over the years?

Comments

• Thought it was Ole Ole Ole not Allez? The way our lot sing it anyway!
  • My hearing is not the best I admit but does anyone else find the diction of the singing almost impossible to follow?

I simply cannot identify the words to the songs other than the odd one.
  • The classic that me and me dad used to do is when red army was being chanted we would go off into creating as many different sounds and words which sounded similar. Pepperoni, have a salami, oooohhhmelarmy and so on were a few. 
  • Breaks down into two categories:

We've deliberately been singing a version of Allez Allez, Allez since the start that leaves out the f***ing 'We are dynamite'

I tried to explain against Forest that their support were duck & sheep instead of the more agricultural version.

And its well known that many people have proclaimed that South London is full of chips and grannies.

We've all had people sitting near us over the years who have sung 'We are Charlton, Cupboard End / Coming In' instead of the Covered End

the latest entry is I've been staggered this season just how many people still seem to be 'on the waaaaay' to the Championship instead of the Premier League.

Anyone got any other examples of intentional / unintentional incorrect singing they've been guilty of or heard from others over the years?

Its full of Chips, The Valley and Charlton
    Definitely allez
    Definitely allez
    I know it is meant to be Allez but try listening  - sure at least half are singing Ole.
  • LenGlover said:
    My hearing is not the best I admit but does anyone else find the diction of the singing almost impossible to follow?

There's one this season where I literally cannot make out a single word. It sounds a bit like voulez-vous by Abba and it might be for a player, but that's all I've got. 
  • My old man, it transpires, has got a few minor words in TRRR slightly wrong since I was very little, and I now have no idea what the actual lyrics are (and am now desperately re-educating myself):

- "... when he starts throbbin' his old sweet song" (should be own)

- "What if I feel blue" (I've been)

- "I'm like a kid again" (just)

I definitely misheard this one when I was little, but "live long laugh and be happy" (so this one almost certainly wasn't his fault!). 
  • Uboat said:
    LenGlover said:
    My hearing is not the best I admit but does anyone else find the diction of the singing almost impossible to follow?

There's one this season where I literally cannot make out a single word. It sounds a bit like voulez-vous by Abba and it might be for a player, but that's all I've got. 
    Jonathan Leko
    Running down the wing
    Leko
    Hears the charlton sing
    Leko
    Taking us to the Premier League
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:
    LenGlover said:

Jonathan Leko
    Running down the wing
    Leko
    Hears the charlton sing
    Leko
    Taking us to the Premier League
    That'll be it. Thanks. 
    I hope Jonathan can make it out. 
  • The classic that me and me dad used to do is when red army was being chanted we would go off into creating as many different sounds and words which sounded similar. Pepperoni, have a salami, oooohhhmelarmy and so on were a few. 
    We also used to chuck in a Linda Lusadi
  • “Full of twits, me granny and Charlton” 
  • Uboat said:
    We will follow the Charlton
    Over land and sea
    Frank Spencer!

(Intentional)

This is like when Queen ended One Vision with fried chicken
  • edited September 2019
    Red Army 

Salami
  • Crowd - Red Army
    Wife - Why are they singing "where are we", they must know where they are.
    The last time I took her (Man Utd at home so she and my mum could drool over David Beckham).
  • Im pretty sure Ive heard "valley choir" instead of "covered end choir".
  • had a guy next to me that used to think it was salami instead of red army
  • Sponsored links:

• alicwkd said:
    For a long time in my youth I believed the words to VFR were:

"Many hours have I spent in the cupboard and cried
    Singing Valley Floyd Road, my only desire".

Would probably be more appropriate with some of the football we've put up with over the years!
    This is brilliant , I shall be singing this from now on !
  • C - A - F - C ... C A F C (arguably the most boring chant going) i used to think was Cooome on Ipswich for years!
  • had a guy next to me that used to think it was salami instead of red army
    Solly about that 
  • I spent many years singing "here's the ball you take away" instead of "is that all you take away?" at away supporters.
  • Still can't understand a word of the Oshilaja song.
    And I always sing Ole, not Allez.

What's that? Yes I am a little deaf. 
  • Everyone always ends the ‘eieieio up the football league we go’ chant too soon 
  • Everyone always ends the ‘eieieio up the football league we go’ chant too soon 
    Tbf that's probably one of our few original chants. Every other team does the next verse we can't/don't bother
  • Breaks down into two categories:

I've got one mate 

Since I was young......
  • For my sons benefit I used to tell them it was "He scores goals, down the valley" for the Andy Hunt song.